Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Random thought, they never confirmed she had web-shooters in Into the Spider-Verse, did they? I don't remember it coming up how her webbing worked.

I think she predominantly has organic webbing in media adaptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Random thought, they never confirmed she had web-shooters in Into the Spider-Verse, did they? I don't remember it coming up how her webbing worked.

I think she predominantly has organic webbing in media adaptions.
    It's never hinted in any way what it is, but considering that all the Spider-People are similar in many ways, it's safer to assume she has web shooters like Peter B., Blonde Peter and Miles.

Fantastic Member

She's definitely using organics in Rising, though - during the scene where she pulls back her costume to show the friendship bracelet her wrists were bare aside from said bracelet. Pretty impressive considering she uses other forms of webs like web wings and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    She's definitely using organics in Rising, though - during the scene where she pulls back her costume to show the friendship bracelet her wrists were bare aside from said bracelet. Pretty impressive considering she uses other forms of webs like web wings and the like.
    Either that or her web-shooters are in her gloves...but I dunno, there's a lot about the nitty gritty of Rising Gwen that the show never gets into.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Either that or her web-shooters are in her gloves...but I dunno, there's a lot about the nitty gritty of Rising Gwen that the show never gets into.
    Which is a shame, really.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Yeah. I mean I’ve asked time and again just where the hell Gwen got her costume and gadgets like drones and tracking devices came from considering she’s a solo hero with no support network for most of her run. I just assume she’s meant to be as smart as the average Peter Spider-Man given her tech and her attemtping to hack into the Secret Warriors computer. While she does fail to do so the fact that she felt confident enough to try indicates some experience and prior success.

Speaking of hacking, there was actually a scene in the Latour Spider-Gwen run of her hacking into the school database to find info on Connors. While school comps are hardly the Pentagon it also shows some advanced tech knowledge there since it’s unlikely she knew the password. Just how smart is Gwen supposed to be, anyway?

Yeah. I mean I’ve asked time and again just where the hell Gwen got her costume and gadgets like drones and tracking devices came from considering she’s a solo hero with no support network for most of her run. I just assume she’s meant to be as smart as the average Peter Spider-Man given her tech and her attemtping to hack into the Secret Warriors computer. While she does fail to do so the fact that she felt confident enough to try indicates some experience and prior success.

Speaking of hacking, there was actually a scene in the Latour Spider-Gwen run of her hacking into the school database to find info on Connors. While school comps are hardly the Pentagon it also shows some advanced tech knowledge there since it’s unlikely she knew the password. Just how smart is Gwen supposed to be, anyway?
    I still need more direct evidence that she's smart or tech savvy. For all we know she tried just because she was desperate for a lead.

Fantastic Member

I still need more direct evidence that she's smart or tech savvy. For all we know she tried just because she was desperate for a lead.
    The gadgets come to mind. The drone I could see her buying, but the tracking device calibrated specifically for her? I highly doubt she bought that off of Ebay. The only other option I can think of is she nicked it from her police chief dad but there's no indication of that either. And if you're of the belief that she's using webshooters then she definitely didn't take that from anyone else given that no one is ever shown using similar tech.

The gadgets come to mind. The drone I could see her buying, but the tracking device calibrated specifically for her? I highly doubt she bought that off of Ebay. The only other option I can think of is she nicked it from her police chief dad but there's no indication of that either. And if you're of the belief that she's using webshooters then she definitely didn't take that from anyone else given that no one is ever shown using similar tech.
    Which, yeah, if someone else gave her you think they would have addressed but they don't particularly portray her as being very explicitly tech savvy either.

Fantastic Member

Which, yeah, if someone else gave her you think they would have addressed but they don't particularly portray her as being very explicitly tech savvy either.
    I'm using what little clue we're given. She has advanced gadgets none of the others have and she's never shown or mentioned to get them from outside sources - and in fact doing so would contradict her established loner character from the first two shorts - so until we get proof otherwise I'm assuming she likely made them. The other explanation is that she stole them from somewhere (unlikely in the case of webshooters and her personalized trackers) or she literally pulled them out of her ass.

I'm using what little clue we're given. She has advanced gadgets none of the others have and she's never shown or mentioned to get them from outside sources - and in fact doing so would contradict her established loner character from the first two shorts - so until we get proof otherwise I'm assuming she likely made them. The other explanation is that she stole them from somewhere (unlikely in the case of webshooters and her personalized trackers) or she literally pulled them out of her ass.
    I mean, we're meant to assume she built her own tech when they give no option otherwise despite the fact that they don't really portray her as really tech-savvy or proficient...which probably means the writers just didn't think it through much .

Fantastic Member

I mean, we're meant to assume she built her own tech when they give no option otherwise despite the fact that they don't really portray her as really tech-savvy or proficient...which probably means the writers just didn't think it through much .
    Why couldn’t she be tech savvy? Just cause she’s into drums and music doesn’t mean she couldn’t tinker with stuff in her own time. Her tech and attempts to hack into computers indicate that she does know something cause I doubt she’s dumb enough to try typing swordfish over and over.

Why couldn’t she be tech savvy? Just cause she’s into drums and music doesn’t mean she couldn’t tinker with stuff in her own time. Her tech and attempts to hack into computers indicate that she does know something cause I doubt she’s dumb enough to try typing swordfish over and over.
    The Gwen she's based off of might .

I dunno. I'm not saying she can't but she just doesn't really act like it in a way where you would expect if that was actually a character trait of hers in my opinion.

Fantastic Member

The Gwen she's based off of might .

I dunno. I'm not saying she can't but she just doesn't really act like it in a way where you would expect if that was actually a character trait of hers in my opinion.
    Except comics Gwen successfully hacked into the school database to get info on Connors, so clearly she knows something there too.

The way she acts doesn't have to wholly relate to being a tech nerd - so long as she's not outright contradicting someone who could make tech. If Gwen acted tech dumb and said she doesn't really know much about tech then absolutely I'd agree with you that her gear makes no sense. I mean does Miles really act like a tech genius? Not particularly and yet he and Ganke managed to remake Peter's webfluids with only minimal instruction.

Other Spider characters like Mayday, Kaine etc etc are also far from what you'd typically except tech savvy characters to act like and yet the former is the most gadget focused outside of PS4 Spidey despite being a sporty, popular girl who's not shown doing much studying or research. We just have to accept that in comic book land teenagers get access to and make insane **** that would make real life scientists cry.

Really the only reason I think she has to be a tech genius (or a thief) is because she has no support system. Patriot's glider/missiles and Daisy's gloves I can reasonably assume were given to them by SHIELD. The others don't have such a support chain, which is a plot point for Gwen and part of her development. Hell, look at Squirrel Girl/Kamala in that same show who also use personalized apps and tech, though in that case Kamala does confirm she made hers despite again not being the stereotypical tech buff.

Don't forget, in the comics, Kamala and Doreen only recently met, but in Rising, they're best friends. It's likely that Kamala's been taking the same computer science classes Doreen has - which would explain that knowledge.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman