Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    isn't a certain person supposed to have died long ago? Exposed as a criminal? why do they have a mainstream job now?
    Clones and fake names. Jackal has a LONG precedent of dying and another version claiming to be the original coming back later.

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    Clones and fake names. Jackal has a LONG precedent of dying and another version claiming to be the original coming back later.
    I thought that after Ben killed him in ASM#24 vol 4, we'd be rid of him for longer, but it's been like what, 2 years? Feels too soon...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I thought that after Ben killed him in ASM#24 vol 4, we'd be rid of him for longer, but it's been like what, 2 years? Feels too soon...
    He’s a Spiderman character, they come back fast. Remember how long Ock stayed dead?

He’s a Spiderman character, they come back fast. Remember how long Ock stayed dead?
    Well yeah, but Otto is a liked character, Jackal just always brings that bitter taste of clone saga, and is still pretty much a B-lister in Spidey's rogue gallery, so y'know, maybe we could get rid of that creep for 5 years, minimum? Would that be too much to ask?

Fantastic Member

Well yeah, but Otto is a liked character, Jackal just always brings that bitter taste of clone saga, and is still pretty much a B-lister in Spidey's rogue gallery, so y'know, maybe we could get rid of that creep for 5 years, minimum? Would that be too much to ask?
    To be fair this time he’s dealing with Gwen, so him bejng a B lister works here since you can’t exactly have Carnage or Green Goblin fight her. That and Miles Warren as a character basically revolves around Gwen Stacy, so of course he gravitates towards the newest and most popular iteration. I’m honestly surprised Spider-Gwen didn’t actually interact with Warren and 616-Gwen during Clone Conspiracy.

To be fair this time he’s dealing with Gwen, so him bejng a B lister works here since you can’t exactly have Carnage or Green Goblin fight her. That and Miles Warren as a character basically revolves around Gwen Stacy, so of course he gravitates towards the newest and most popular iteration. I’m honestly surprised Spider-Gwen didn’t actually interact with Warren and 616-Gwen during Clone Conspiracy.
    Eh, using Jackal on Spider-Gwen just because "Jackal revolves around Gwen" is lazy, Spider-Gwen is somewhat her own thing, shouldn't be dealing with Spidey's sloppy seconds lol.

Then again, she shouldn't be commuting to 616 to begin with... Yeah.

Now that you mention, yeah, surprising neither Clone-Gwen or Spider-Gwen interacted with either Jackal in Clone Conspiracy, or with each other, they just talked about each other if I'm not wrong; hell, Jackal doesn't even have much of a role besides mentally torturing Ben in flashbacks, otherwise he's just, kinda there, doing nothing, not even interacting with anyone, sure, CC is Ben's story as a villain, but Jackal doing nothing is odd...

Gwen did interact with 616 Gwen though - she kidnapped her and took her place.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

https://www.newsarama.com/47366-dove...n-the-mcu.html

Huh, somewhat interesting, though I doubt it’s gonna happen any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Gwen did interact with 616 Gwen though - she kidnapped her and took her place.
    Except she didn’t talk to her and she wasn’t even aware Spider-Gwen had powers till she saw her later.

Astonishing Member

Except she didn’t talk to her and she wasn’t even aware Spider-Gwen had powers till she saw her later.
    Interesting. Spider-Man in the MCU could actually be the origin for all the other spider-heroes, just like all those old tryings to recreate Captain America's super-soldier serum.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

It's even worse than that. He came back in Marvel Team-Up #1-3 by Eve Ewing, and ended up being the catalyst for Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) switching bodies. Long story made short, it revolved around a device an old classmate of Peter's had invented that could upload and store a person's memories on a digital cloud, which could have been a breakthrough for Alzheimer's patients, and Jackal came back to steal it for his cloning experiments. Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel tried to stop him (Ms. Marvel was there because her class was on a field trip), and in the process, the device misfired and caused them to switch bodies, resulting in awkwardness and bonding . . . that turned out to be for nothing as when they were switched back into their actual bodies, they did so without their most recent memories. Shame.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The article says that she'd only play Spider-Gwen on the condition that Gwen is badass, like it's a demand, but in her actual quotes, she says she'd love for Gwen to be badass, talked like it's a preference, come on now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It's even worse than that. He came back in Marvel Team-Up #1-3 by Eve Ewing, and ended up being the catalyst for Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) switching bodies. Long story made short, it revolved around a device an old classmate of Peter's had invented that could upload and store a person's memories on a digital cloud, which could have been a breakthrough for Alzheimer's patients, and Jackal came back to steal it for his cloning experiments. Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel tried to stop him (Ms. Marvel was there because her class was on a field trip), and in the process, the device misfired and caused them to switch bodies, resulting in awkwardness and bonding . . . that turned out to be for nothing as when they were switched back into their actual bodies, they did so without their most recent memories. Shame.
    I wasn't even aware MTU was back lol.

Also, mind switching? Way too soon for that to be happening too.

I speed read the issues, they probably made Peter and Kamala lose their recent memories because Kamala learned his secret identity, but that unfortunately just made the issue be filler, except maybe for Jackal's return, but since this issue doesn't explain how he did it (Even by just stating "It was clones"), yeah, if he came back here or in Ghost-Spider, little difference lol.

Oh well, guess we'll have that creep be showing up around, though that MTU does make me wonder what he was gonna do with tech to put someone's memories in another body, I get the feeling it was to his own mind in a Gwen clone's body, just to amplify his creepy factor

Fantastic Member

As someone else on reddit posted, this was Maguire’s response when asked about Sins Past:

In the schema of story that we’re given in the modern day, that is one of the cheap and easy ways to show that someone’s a bad guy, is that they threaten someone sexually.
    And you get tired of it. It’s boring. It’s not only upsetting for some people. And especially when you’re thinking about that 12-year-old who you’re trying to bring into comics forever. Maybe that’s the first time they’ve seen it. Maybe you have that kid that super-identifies with Gwen, and suddenly their self-insert into this greater Marvel Universe is being threatened in a way that they are not comfortable with. But, it’s just dull. You can’t do the same thing eight hundred times and expect it to have the same emotional impact.

So she expresses distaste of a character being shown as a bad guy by way of showing them sexually assaulting the heroine and says its dull and boring...then she brings back a villain from the 70’s whose entire purpose is he wants to sexually assault the heroine. Huh? Either she just forgot her own distaste here or Marvel Editorial is forcing her to do Jackal the same way they’re forcing her to shunt Gwen over to 616. If so I actually feel sorry for her.

As someone else on reddit posted, this was Maguire’s response when asked about Sins Past:

In the schema of story that we’re given in the modern day, that is one of the cheap and easy ways to show that someone’s a bad guy, is that they threaten someone sexually.
    And you get tired of it. It’s boring. It’s not only upsetting for some people. And especially when you’re thinking about that 12-year-old who you’re trying to bring into comics forever. Maybe that’s the first time they’ve seen it. Maybe you have that kid that super-identifies with Gwen, and suddenly their self-insert into this greater Marvel Universe is being threatened in a way that they are not comfortable with. But, it’s just dull. You can’t do the same thing eight hundred times and expect it to have the same emotional impact.

So she expresses distaste of a character being shown as a bad guy by way of showing them sexually assaulting the heroine and says its dull and boring...then she brings back a villain from the 70’s whose entire purpose is he wants to sexually assault the heroine. Huh? Either she just forgot her own distaste here or Marvel Editorial is forcing her to do Jackal the same way they’re forcing her to shunt Gwen over to 616. If so I actually feel sorry for her.
    Considering that annual#1 had this whole theme of "Gwen was a person, not just a victim", I doubt McGuire is being forced to use Jackal, she might be making a story about Gwen beating the guy who sees any Gwen as something he must have, no matter what.

Worth keeping in mind that annual#1 isn't written by McGuire, but considering how she thinks about Gwen, it doesn't sound far fetched.

Fantastic Member

GHOST-SPIDER #6

SEANAN McGUIRE (W) • TAKESHI MIYAZAWA (A) • COVER BY GREG LAND

• Gwen Stacy a.k.a. GHOST-SPIDER has been attending college in the Marvel Universe!

• But the Marvel Universe is a dangerous place, especially for someone named Stacy.

• And while Gwen has already dealt with one psychotic stalker from the MU in the form of Miles Warren, it will have done little to prepare her for what’s to come…

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Gwen seems...really happy in this cover. Tentatively hopeful for this, I guess? Also, her carrying an umbrella is definitely a reference to 616 Gwen.

I wasn't even aware MTU was back lol.

Also, mind switching? Way too soon for that to be happening too.

I speed read the issues, they probably made Peter and Kamala lose their recent memories because Kamala learned his secret identity, but that unfortunately just made the issue be filler, except maybe for Jackal's return, but since this issue doesn't explain how he did it (Even by just stating "It was clones"), yeah, if he came back here or in Ghost-Spider, little difference lol.

Oh well, guess we'll have that creep be showing up around, though that MTU does make me wonder what he was gonna do with tech to put someone's memories in another body, I get the feeling it was to his own mind in a Gwen clone's body, just to amplify his creepy factor
    It's already cancelled. After the three issues with Peter, Kamala had another three issues teaming up with Carol, written by Clint McElroy. After that the book was axed for low sales.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman