Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I do wonder what happened to Matt. After his constant shenanigans the Hand decided to go after him and his response was essentially 'come and get me'. He begs Gwen to kill him when she wins against him, but chooses to leave him alone. So...what happened to him? Did the Hand kill him? Was he arrested? You'd think Gwen would mention where her Green Goblin figure went.

Astonishing Member

Close to cancelling Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Close to cancelling Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider.
    Huh, what do you mean? Are you close to dropping the title from your pull list or have you heard a rumor the series could be in trouble?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

I think he means he's dropping it from his pull list. I don't blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Attachment 77866

Not sure where I found it, but one of my favorite pictures of Gwen.

Appreciation thread felt a little weak on the fan art, had to step in.
    Looks like Bruce Timm art.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    For real. Launching it with a tie-in arc definitely left my head scratching. Like, if anything, they should've just made it a mini series and then launched Gwen's book out of it.
    Maybe they thought "It worked with Spider-Woman, so let's try it again" ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Thank you, that's what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    please delete

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Thank you, that's what I meant.
    I can understand your decision. Frankly, thus far, the current run has disappointed me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I can understand your decision. Frankly, thus far, the current run has disappointed me as well.
    I think it suffered from a bad first arc which was essentially forced to be a tie-in for Spider-Geddon. Now that the story can focus more on Gwen's personal life in her dimension and supporting cast, we can see if the series will improve or not.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Cheers. I dropped Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider from my pull list yesterday. Shame as I was there from the start when Spider-Gwen debuted in EOSV #2.

Reading that Spider-Geddon event I think hurt all the spiders or brought nothing.

The main Spider-Geddon event resulted with two deaths but nothing else of importance.
    For the Renew your Vows and Spider-Girl side of things this Spider-Girls Spin-off was it's last chance to bring in hopeful readers but it didn't and the grand scheme of things I don't know how useful storywise it provided to the characters.
    Spider-Force agian didn't achieve anything.

In fact all these tie ins that would help 'turn the tides' did jack. Spider-Girls were away from the 'big battle' like Gwen was forced to but for them by choice to use some unknown scrolls to provided for the three gals (and ONLY those three gals) armor...that didn't do anything special but look fancy and state Annie's the 'Dreamweaver' now which to quote Gwen "Whatever that means?" Plus many innocent people that was turned into spiders was killed by their presence there. No continuation thus far to have any effect from this tie in story.

Spider-Force was to make sure the father crystal would not be recovered. In the end the 'local hero' for that world got killed, nobody on that world they went to was helped, and the mission ended in failure. No importance to any series or character that a person might follow.

The Spider-Gwen tie in side of things Gwen was somehow trapped on another Earth and while she was there she was able to save somebody and helped that world (however a big problem I'll post later) plus gained a ability that can be used if desired for her series and did play a role in the final plus epilogue was basically found in her series for this event. So of the forced tie ins for Gwen side of things even though she was forced away from the big event she still played a more substantial outcome and bring something afterwards (the matter that only she now can travel the worlds...which is baloney as if you know any Reed Richards or equal that you know a way to travel the Multiverse) in her book then the other tie ins.

But Spider-Geddon overall wasn't good and all creator teams that was forced affected by it like Gwen's series writer that came in during this time and I don't know what choice she might of had or if she was forced to automatically make 4 issues tie in.

To me it felt like that was a 'forced diversion' (that didn't do any spiders any favors and worse for Gwen as it took up spots in her own issues) and based on the info for the upcoming issues such as the very next one (no longer forced to be apart of a tie in to a weak event) issue #5 feels like the 'true' issue number one of her volume.

Based on the info given it seems it going to cover her: homeworld, daily life with the Mary Janes and her father (aka her cast and personal connections), and making choices for her future (agian personal issues). To me a new reader that jump abroad MIles book due to growing interested thanks to the Spider-Verse movie might not know or follow that version of Miles but in his first recent issue #1 that took place right after the event it establishes:
    1. his family knows and cares
    2. him in his personal life and the cast around him that he has a bond to or wishes to connect to
    3. his duties
    4. and a start of a personal mystery and conflict story.

A person who didn't read a single thing about Miles but only knows a version of him by the new movie I feel would be able to get the required needed info and tone from the first issue and his personal world and follow it easily. The same has to apply for Gwen and I hope that will be for issue 5. If it does that that's to me where the vol really begins (like a video game having a tutorial level and doesn't really start till after it and the tutorial is annoying and wish to just skip it to get to the main game)

Furthermore having a new artist from issue 5 and onwards just furthers that feeling and hope.

Now so pros and cons. Artwise is was going to be hard to follow after the last team. The punk rock style vibes and neon coloring set a major stylish tone to Gwen and her world and hard to copy. The art style I was seeing in the past issues i didn't dislike but once more the vibe set by the past team was going to be difficult to capture for any artist afterwards. The art style that was made didn't really give the same vibes and for me that world Gwen was tossed into I could see that art style fitting as the vibe for that world but not Earth-65. I guess some artist had to bite the bullet however.

Now for the writer I liked that world she setup and the characters made for it. A MJ who cares (and maybe has a relationship hinted between that MJ and Gwen), the Goblin Gwen, and the backstory told in half a issue. Such pro things I hope might be possible to find on Earth-65 world (a good deal of people didn't like Earth-65 MJ but did like that new MJ version presented so maybe a sneak preview of how MJ for Earth-65 might develop into for some).

Now a MAJOR negative I found and was shocked by was this general exchange:

Peter from the unknown Earth after telling the backstory and tragedy: "Now we can save her with your help."
    Earth-65 Gwen: "Why would I do that?"

WHAT!? Let's go back to what Gwen I think should of said:
    Earth-65 Gwen: "How?"

One theme for spiders are they are a local neighborhood heroes and no person to small to help. Not always about saving the world but helping one person. This case I can understand that due to worries for her own friends she wanted to find a quick outcome or is disatacted and other matters but there was no good reasoning why Gwen shouldn't be desiring to help somebody in front of her particularly when she has the power to help others while no sure how to help herself in her predicament.
    This self centeredness and vastly different from other heroes who would be happy to help anybody in need greatly if they have the ability to do so and others don't makes Gwen look bad. This attitude and mindset I hope the writer will not continue but now I'm fearing it.
    I did like the writer using the power given to Gwen to allow funerals and knowledge in issue 4 as I felt that showcased responsibility well plus many times we don't see a funeral for heroes unless you are big A lister like 616 Peter Parker.

So it's odd that I like how the writer presented others but fearful to how she might have Gwen showcased in her thinking and react. I hope that will be a minimal showing of Gwen's thinking (I read and seen many cold people that has a heart of gold tropes and some people thought that was how Earth-65 Gwen was acting/reacting but I didn't get that feeling from issue 2 and 3) from this point onwards. Also basing on other tie ins I can assume time works differently in the world Gwen was tossed in and it indicated a few days went by for Gwen but based on the main event and tie in's everything was happening on the same day it seems in a few hours.

Different worlds definitely have different speeds. Miles aged three years in four real world years in the Ultimate Universe, and a further year once he got to 616. But for the rest of 616, only two years have passed in the last thirteen real world years, according to Runaways. And as stated in Fantastic Four, the second of those two years is post-Secret Wars, mainly thanks to the eight month timeskip. Gwen's world advanced over a year in the final arc of her previous book. Where ever the Future Foundation have been, they've aged five years instead of only one.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    Reading that Spider-Geddon event I think hurt all the spiders or brought nothing.

The main Spider-Geddon event resulted with two deaths but nothing else of importance.
    For the Renew your Vows and Spider-Girl side of things this Spider-Girls Spin-off was it's last chance to bring in hopeful readers but it didn't and the grand scheme of things I don't know how useful storywise it provided to the characters.
    This is true. Spidergeddon largely advanced plotlines only for RYV and Mayday...but what was the point? Neither Annie or Mayday have titles anymore, so we can't follow the progression of Mayday reuniting with her father, who's now the latest vessel of The Other, or Annie, who is the pattern maker. We have to wait until the third entry in the Spider-Verse saga, and that might not be out until the Spider-Verse movie sequel

Fantastic Member

Not really about Spider-Gwen as a character, but the thought intrigues me:

Fantastic Member

More a question for a Spider-Gwen fanfic: so Gwen puts up the Hero for Hire ad, what would she be hired to do? I'm confused on what she could legally do outside of bodyguarding. She can't even work as a P.I since that requires a license as well.