View Poll Results: Are you planning on picking up this year's Female Furies miniseries?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

8 38.10%
  • No.

9 42.86%
  • I'm not sure yet.

4 19.05%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Wow, this was just awful. Someone gets paid to write this? Darkseid has manipulated and imposed himself on women before, thats not new nor out of character,see Mortalla or that Martian woman from World's End and there was another princess whom he forcibly married. Here though it was as if the writer mistook him for Harvey Weinstein, he literally forces Granny in to a casting couch with promises of a bright role.
    The training session was atrocious, that guy gropes the fury using virtually every common groping method in just one page. The writer has the subtlety of a brick wall.

Always Rakzo

There's "Heavyhanded" and there's "Beating you to death with a single idea".

Where do you think this story falls?

Seriously, this issue just revolves around the idea that every man, every man in Apokolips is a sexist douche which makes them less of a character and instead just cardboards to support this direction. Not even Darkseid is safe since he's portrayed as a sexual harasser for God knows why.

If there's something to appreciate is Melo's art, she shows how flexible she can be at depicting Kirby's style and storytelling. Great stuff.

Aside from that, yeah, not worth checking out from any standpoint.

Complaining about all the men in Apokolips being sexist douches is like complaining that all the men in the Manson Family were sexist douches.

I mean, it's just realistic in an environment that's toxic to that level. Like how many of the female members of the Manson Family were sexually assaulted by the men, it makes sense that the Furies would be facing the same issues, even if most of them are evil themselves.

Apokolips is a planet with an orphanage where abuse and brainwashing are viewed as expressions of love, false revolutions are staged to break the population's spirit and people can be killed for the pleasure of a sadistic tyrant.

And people are shocked that the leaders are sexual predators on top of that? Did you guys forget Sleeze?

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Did you guys forget Sleeze?
    One of the worst additions to the New Gods introduced in one of the worst Superman stories ever.

Yes.

Okay the story Sleeze appeared in wasn't good by any means but not because the character was a sexual predator. Honestly the idea there are misogynists and sexual predators on Apokolips is the least surprising thing about that place.

Glorious Godfrey always had Purple Man potential for creepiness.

Glorious Godfrey is the perfect choice for this story.

I just feel that the situations that happen in this issue are too real and not fantastical enough. Comics are an escapism, and it just sucks that the most badass female villain team in comics history has now sort of been reduced to "lesser than" because of their sex. I mean, obviously this is set in the past, and something happens where the Furies become the elite fighting force on Apokolips, but... it's just a shame to see yet another world that's riddled with the kind of problems that we're facing today.

Like I said, I enjoyed the issue, but I was pretty disappointed that this is the route the writer decided to go instead of showing the Furies off on adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Glorious Godfrey is the perfect choice for this story.

I just feel that the situations that happen in this issue are too real and not fantastical enough. Comics are an escapism, and it just sucks that the most badass female villain team in comics history has now sort of been reduced to "lesser than" because of their sex. I mean, obviously this is set in the past, and something happens where the Furies become the elite fighting force on Apokolips, but... it's just a shame to see yet another world that's riddled with the kind of problems that we're facing today.

Like I said, I enjoyed the issue, but I was pretty disappointed that this is the route the writer decided to go instead of showing the Furies off on adventures.
    But the Furies themselves were always products of torture. So it makes sense if sexual abuse was one of the indignities they were subjected to. What matters was that they rose to become fearsome.

It's Goodness and her dynamics with Darkseid that threw me off here. But then that makes sense too and parallels the tragic histories between Darkseid and other high ranking New Gods like Desaad and Kanto. It fits with Darkseid being the concept of ultimate evil and his high ranking lieutenants being the products of his evil.

Wait, so Aurelie is not a new character? She's a minor Kirby creation from Mister Miracle #9, and the reason for the first meeting between Barda and Scott. Her name was spelled as Auralie back then. Great use of an obscure character.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Happy Female Furies #1 Day! What did everyone think of the issue?

I liked it, but I didn't love it. It was a bit heavy-handed in its approach to Apokolips's sexism. Halfway through the story, I was like "ok, we get it... Darkseid's Elite is sexist af." But they kept going anyway.

One thing I loved was the "pageant" that Darkseid forced the Furies to put on, and the Furies' reactions to it. That kind of comedic take on sexism is far more appealing to me than the more realistic sexual harassment that Aurelie undertakes from... that dude who I've never seen before
    Interestingly, Protector Willik (previously known as 'Wonderful Willik') appears in the same Mister Miracle issue as Auralie:

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Wait, so Aurelie is not a new character? She's a minor Kirby creation from Mister Miracle #9, and the reason for the first meeting between Barda and Scott. Her name was spelled as Auralie back then. Great use of an obscure character.

Good find, as I had assumed she was an all-new character, but she's kind of a cipher anyway in her original story.

Mighty Member

I really want to understand the glowing reviews for this book. It was the most heavy handed book that I have read from DC since... forever ! Even "Cry for justice" is subtle compared to that. The female furies baking ? Darkseid, the most evil creature of the universe, a dictator who only care about himself, harassing and bargaining for sex like a mediocre creepy mid-manager ? This people are evil, it's ok to give them all the worst features, but here, from Darkseid to Granny Goodness and even the female furies, they are just mundane, laughable and mediocre. The writer want to make a point but she has forget her characters and her story in the process. Disapointed, I'm a fan of the female furies. To each his own, this comics seem to have a lot of fans, but it's my last issue.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

That's crazy, I've read Mister Miracle #9 a few times before and didn't remember Aurelie! Awesome find, Confuzzled.

So has #4 of Female Furies come out? And what was it like?