View Poll Results: Are you planning on picking up this year's Female Furies miniseries?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

8 38.10%
  • No.

9 42.86%
  • I'm not sure yet.

4 19.05%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

There's a miniscule cover image for Female Furies #2 but the synopsis sounds interesting.

The Female Furies have a terrible secret that could get them all banished to the deepest pit of Apokolips. They thought they got away with killing Steppenwolf’s nephew, but now that he’s been reported missing, the Protectors are sticking their noses into everyone’s business in hopes of finding their lost comrade. Meanwhile, Aurelie’s tormentor, Protector Wiliks, applies more pressure on her. Does he know more than he lets on? Regardless, it’s affecting Aurelie’s ability to lead the Furies, causing friction between her and Big Barda and forcing Granny Goodness to take drastic action.
    So Aurelie is/was the Furies' original leader, and the Furies killed Steppenwolf's nephew.

Aurelie has potential to be a fascinating tragic figure whose story could add to the rich canvas that is Apokoliptian mythology.

It'll be interesting if they set up Aurelie as a major Furies enemy, giving the Furies their own sort of "rogues gallery" (of which Beautiful Dreamer would definitely be a part of as well).

In other news, rereading old Furies appearances and came across this little gem:

I'm assuming the New Gods sort of get with all of each other, but I never imagined Bernadeth and Orion would've boned.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    It'll be interesting if they set up Aurelie as a major Furies enemy, giving the Furies their own sort of "rogues gallery" (of which Beautiful Dreamer would definitely be a part of as well).

In other news, rereading old Furies appearances and came across this little gem:

I'm assuming the New Gods sort of get with all of each other, but I never imagined Bernadeth and Orion would've boned.
    OMG what book is this? Bernadeth looks great!

Bernadeth/Orion is a far more fascinating pairing than the vanilla-ness of Orion/Bekka.

It's from the Firestorm comic book from the mid-2000's. I hope we get more exploration of the romantic side of the New Gods. Like, we know from Suicide Squad that Glorious Godfrey kept trying to use his powers to seduce Lashina when they were younger. That's interesting stuff. I hope we get a taste of that in the mini-series.

And I really, really want Stompa and Mad Harriet to get their dues. It always seems to be about Lashina and Bernadeth.

It's from the Firestorm comic book from the mid-2000's.
    Cool. Thanks. Will try and check it out.

I hope we get more exploration of the romantic side of the New Gods. Like, we know from Suicide Squad that Glorious Godfrey kept trying to use his powers to seduce Lashina when they were younger. That's interesting stuff. I hope we get a taste of that in the mini-series.
    Uh... Purple Man-ish rapey plot much? Though it does make absolute sense for Glorious and something a Fury would have to go through.

And I really, really want Stompa and Mad Harriet to get their dues. It always seems to be about Lashina and Bernadeth.
    That's like saying rain sometimes falls on one part of the Sahara.

The Furies made a brief cameo in Mysteries of Love in Space #1 this week. A new Fury joined their ranks, though I doubt we'll ever see her again in the comics, honestly.

The Furies made a brief cameo in Mysteries of Love in Space #1 this week. A new Fury joined their ranks, though I doubt we'll ever see her again in the comics, honestly.

Cool art. I like when Stompa is drawn almost Hulk-like.

Stompa, Lashina and Granny look good. Bernadeth and Mad Harriet, not so much (though I do appreciate artists who remember to include the Kirby-esque yellow patterns on Bernie's robes).

Female Furies #1 Preview!

Interesting seeing the flashback of Granny vs. Heggra. And I'm really liking the art so far. I just hope it's not too heavy with its woman vs. man themes.

Ooh, that was an interesting flashback to Heggra's assassination indeed. I love this. The women of Apokolips have long deserved the spotlight.

Wow, look at Granny in her black bikini over chainmail! Whoo whoo, lol!

I like the new look of everyone and the artwork.

Female Furies #1 Preview!

Interesting seeing the flashback of Granny vs. Heggra. And I'm really liking the art so far. I just hope it's not too heavy with its woman vs. man themes.
    Oooooo, I'm loving the Granny and Heggra encounter. The art is so amazing too - now I'm looking forward to it even more! It hasn't even started and I want more. Lol

I'd really like to see Gilotina, Bloody Mary, Wunda, and the other Furies get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Ooh, that was an interesting flashback to Heggra's assassination indeed. I love this. The women of Apokolips have long deserved the spotlight.
    Alongside Darkseid, Desaad, Kalibak, Grail, Mr. Miracle, Orion, Amazing Grace, Kanto, Mortalla, and a few others, the Female Furies (current and former) are the most interesting characters in the entire Fourth World saga. I just never found the New Genosians to have the same panache.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Alongside Darkseid, Desaad, Kalibak, Grail, Mr. Miracle, Orion, Amazing Grace, Kanto, Mortalla, and a few others, the Female Furies (current and former) are the most interesting characters in the entire Fourth World saga. I just never found the New Genosians to have the same panache.
    Oh, 100% agree. Beyond Orion and sometimes Lightray, I've *never* found any of the New Genesis characters interesting. I'm hoping this mini warms me to Beautiful Dreamer too.

I doubt we'll EVER see Wunda again. I think she only ever appeared in one panel? It would be interesting to see the "Junior Furies" appear, though. Gilotina is the only one who ever gets any love. Malice is supposed to be in the Harley Quinn cartoon, though I'm nervous for her portrayal (I think they aged her a bit to make her sexier? Ugh).

Also interestingly, the preview image from a few months ago had Stompa in her more modern Rebirth/warrior outfit, but the preview for this issue had her in her classic orange costume.

Stompa.jpg

Happy Female Furies #1 Day! What did everyone think of the issue?

I liked it, but I didn't love it. It was a bit heavy-handed in its approach to Apokolips's sexism. Halfway through the story, I was like "ok, we get it... Darkseid's Elite is sexist af." But they kept going anyway.

One thing I loved was the "pageant" that Darkseid forced the Furies to put on, and the Furies' reactions to it. That kind of comedic take on sexism is far more appealing to me than the more realistic sexual harassment that Aurelie undertakes from... that dude who I've never seen before (as well as Darkseid exerting his power and sexually assaulting Goodness... I wonder how Darkseid fans will feel about that). Speaking of her, Aurelie is far more interesting than her bland ass design had made me think she'd be. I'm looking forward to more of her.

I just wish the other Furies had more time to shine. We got a LOT of Granny, and quite a bit of Aurelie and to an extent Big Barda, but barely anything of Lashina, Stompa, Bernadeth, and Mad Harriet. I'm hoping future issues rectify that.

So anyway, hope we get more fun and more classic Furies than just more in-your-face depictions of sexual harassment/assault.