Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Cassandra Cain: Batgirl, Black Bat, Orphan Appreciation 2019

Nobody else started one so here's to a new year!

Previous thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2018

Happy New Year to the best martial artist of the DCU .

Some more James Jean covers because I love them

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

This page from the Superbat Vol. 1 Public Enemies was the very first time I saw her

dd82c8f0c0a487984f703f8c01b4c427._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I just realized... she wasn't in Hush. So was Spoiler. Where were they at that time?

I made her previous topic and I forgot her this time...

I thought that this topic already existed.. But I was busy these days for confirm this..
    Last edited by adrikito; 01-10-2019 at 02:52 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    This page from the Superbat Vol. 1 Public Enemies was the very first time I saw her

dd82c8f0c0a487984f703f8c01b4c427._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I just realized... she wasn't in Hush. So was Spoiler. Where were they at that time?
    Loeb didn't/doesn't like her, so she wasn't included. Not a loss, storywise.

I love Cass but looking back, I think most Batwriters didn't want to use her. She never got a solo arc in Gotham Knights, not much in the way of arcs with other Bats, even in Batman Murder. And we all know about OYL...

Cassie is a great character, but much like Richard Grayson, or for that matter Tim either, DC has NO IDEA what to do with her. I've said it once, I'll say it again, a Bat-Family book is needed. Call it whatever... Bat Family, Teen Bats, The Bat Team, Knights of Gotham, whatever.... Have Nightwing run the point, with Cassie and Tim handling the rest.

Just a thought... but since Nightwing has his own title, and YES Young Justice is now a book. Then Cassie needs to be a "regular" somewhere...

What say ye?

Anybody know why they don't like or don't know what to do with her?
    I know the writers had to fight DC to even release her because their Batgirl is Babs.
    I'm guessing her skill level is one reason

Quote Originally Posted by Batman1970 View Post
    Cassie is a great character, but much like Richard Grayson, or for that matter Tim either, DC has NO IDEA what to do with her. I've said it once, I'll say it again, a Bat-Family book is needed. Call it whatever... Bat Family, Teen Bats, The Bat Team, Knights of Gotham, whatever.... Have Nightwing run the point, with Cassie and Tim handling the rest.

Just a thought... but since Nightwing has his own title, and YES Young Justice is now a book. Then Cassie needs to be a "regular" somewhere...

What say ye?
    Wasn't that what Outsiders was for? Is that still happening or is it in perpetual limbo? But I agree, a Bat Fam book would be a dream. Gotham Knights would be a good title (it's also what I called my imaginary Bat Fam animated series lol).

Anybody know why they don't like or don't know what to do with her?
    I know the writers had to fight DC to even release her because their Batgirl is Babs.
    I'm guessing her skill level is one reason
    I have no idea. She's such a great character. Skill shouldn't be an issue--if anything, her ability to read body language is an opportunity for writers and artists to play around with how she perceives the world. The current version of her is almost a blank slate, too, you can take her in so many directions.

I think one of the problems is that she's not Batgirl anymore, she's just Random Martial Arts Character. Maybe people think she lacks reader appeal.

BANNED

I think she suffers from overspecialization. If she struggles in a fight the readers hate it. If she doesn't it's boring.

Great character, but she should be in a team book with metas. She basically has superpowers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    I think she suffers from overspecialization. If she struggles in a fight the readers hate it. If she doesn't it's boring.
    I think that's just couple of feat obsessed stans' opinion. In fact my favorite Cass fights have her as the underdog like the first Shiva fight in the restaurant. I prefer more choreographed fights over just impact shots.

But she needs to be written with her flaws as well; Tynion basically handwaved her dyslexia away without even confirming she even had it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyLookingSort View Post
    I think that's just couple of feat obsessed stans' opinion.
    Writers have that problem too... it's like when writers trying to write Superman, but they have preconceived notion about his powers or they don't know how to write someone with that power level, so they end up using Kryptonite or introduce an overpowered character so there will be a struggle.

The last Cass series appearance has her fighting Shiva and winning, and she's already the top of the top, so future writers may look at that and think, well ****, what should I do to top this? She's already peaked.

Writers have that problem too... it's like when writers trying to write Superman, but they have preconceived notion about his powers or they don't know how to write someone with that power level, so they end up using Kryptonite or introduce an overpowered character so there will be a struggle.

The last Cass series appearance has her fighting Shiva and winning, and she's already the top of the top, so future writers may look at that and think, well ****, what should I do to top this? She's already peaked.
    The obvious answer imo is to give her something she can't just punch or kick her way out of. Put her up against an enemy that can outwit her, or one with magic or powers she can't easily counter. Put her in situations where she can learn and grow as a person, not just where she can show off her fighting skills.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post

Great character, but she should be in a team book with metas. She basically has superpowers anyway.
    There are enough low level metas and villains with equipment that can give her trouble. I've been following a fanfic with Cass for 40 issues now and done just fine with bad guys.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Happy New Year to the best martial artist of the DCU .
    Ditto!

10 char
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor