Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

[QUOTE=Agent Z;4606298]
    Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post

When was Batman ever a supporting character in someone else's movie?

Cass is a far more nuanced character than an Asian martial artist stereotype. I'm not as down on this movie as some are but it isn't impossible to use her comic depiction in an ensemble cast. After all, she did have a supporting cast in the books and came across as a full character when interacting with them.
    The LEGO Movie. Suicide Squad. All those animated Justice League Dark and Suicide Squad movies they stuck his name on to sell more copies. Arguably even the Schumacher films.

It’s not that she’s not a nuanced character. It’s that those are the first things that people learn about her, and in a 2 hour movie when you’re the fifth lead there is no time to dig past that to the nuance, particularly without the voice over tactics they can use in comics. How much nuance did say c3po get in the original Star Wars? Or Cyborg in Justice League? As a minor character in an action movie you get maybe three traits to work with. And in Cass the would be 1. Ninja 2. Heart of gold 3. Not a talker which is every Asian sidekick since Bruce Lee put on his chauffer’s cap.

Cass is a character who needs long term stories to work effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
    The LEGO Movie. Suicide Squad. All those animated Justice League Dark and Suicide Squad movies they stuck his name on to sell more copies. Arguably even the Schumacher films.
    All of those feel like completely situational instances and doesn't necessitate that a character being in a team movie needs to be treated as just a supporting character.
    It’s not that she’s not a nuanced character. It’s that those are the first things that people learn about her, and in a 2 hour movie when you’re the fifth lead there is no time to dig past that to the nuance, particularly without the voice over tactics they can use in comics. How much nuance did say c3po get in the original Star Wars? Or Cyborg in Justice League? As a minor character in an action movie you get maybe three traits to work with. And in Cass the would be 1. Ninja 2. Heart of gold 3. Not a talker which is every Asian sidekick since Bruce Lee put on his chauffer’s cap.
    If a movie is actually going to use Cassandra Cain, then they should be ready to do her character justice and feature her story accurately from the comics.

If it's a team movie then all the members of the team should be given adequate focus and screentime, and not get turned into Harley Quinn's sidekick who barely resembles herself.

This is like her first super-major media appearance outside YJ and the disconnect is probably going to be pretty large with this interpretation unless the marketing has been extremely misleading.

Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Oh finally someone remembers Huntress is black

There are Ivy and Catwoman in the background. Who else?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh finally someone remembers Huntress is black

There are Ivy and Catwoman in the background. Who else?
    Red Tool is the only other one I recognize.

...I'm really not sure if I'm looking forward to Cass in a movie synergy/comedy BoP book.

Although apparently she's called Batgirl in the description?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...I'm really not sure if I'm looking forward to Cass in a movie synergy/comedy BoP book.

Although apparently she's called Batgirl in the description?
    It's a black label so most likely out of continuity even though they're using the characters' appearances from canon.

Spectacular Member

All of those feel like completely situational instances and doesn't necessitate that a character being in a team movie needs to be treated as just a supporting character.
    I don't really know what this means, but all movies are 'situational instances', all non-lead characters in a movie are supporting characters and all characters go through changes in personality for adaptation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    It's a black label so most likely out of continuity even though they're using the characters' appearances from canon.
    Birds of Prey book is also Black Label, but it will be canon.

Thid cover has many references to Harley Quinn solo. So, "Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey" mini is also likely canon too.

That said, the promotion calling Cassandra as Batgirl doesn't mean anything. Young Justice promoted Tim as Robin (although that wasn't his identity in-story).
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-04-2019 at 05:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Eh, if Aquaman can be made bad ass, Cass can recover
    this will be her first mainstream introduction of any kind
    i think she appeared in a voiceless cameo in JL 10 years ago but thats it, we have never seen her anywhere
    it will be a defining moment for her

Ultimate Member

this will be her first mainstream introduction of any kind
    i think she appeared in a voiceless cameo in JL 10 years ago but thats it, we have never seen her anywhere
    it will be a defining moment for her
    And Deadpool's first big screen appearance rendered him mouthless. Not the end of the world

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    And Deadpool's first big screen appearance rendered him mouthless. Not the end of the world
    And it took about a decade before that was fixed.

I see them having a hard time reconciling movie Cass with comic Cass if they actually try and go in that direction.

Ultimate Member

I see them having a hard time reconciling movie Cass with comic Cass if they actually try and go in that direction.
    We don't know who movie Cass is yet, but I doubt they will. The movie is going to be released in a dump month, after all, and its clearly no Deadpool.

I'm not saying that this is great for Cass, far from it. But it's not the end of the world, 'emerald twilight' either

People have mixed feelings about this movie already because of DCEU and Suicide Squad's reputation, so if the movie blows, there's no damage to Cass. She's a supporting cast in the movie and will remain where she is comics. The movie synergy will quiet down just like it was with Suicide Squad.

If the movie is super hyper mega awesome successful and she's not in character in the movie, that's when you start to worry.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-04-2019 at 11:35 AM.