Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Half way through ep 2. Bored and I hate everyone.

And they will keep psycho Chico around way too long.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 01-24-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Just finished the pilot. It wasn't bad, but I think I'll cancel future recordings on my DVR. As a TV pilot it was certainly well made, but I think I'm not going to get much out of it for the same reasons I don't get a lot out of Remender's comics.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Extraordinary Member

Still loving it. And for anyone who hasn't read the comic, yes, everyone's an ******* to some extent in the beginning. Also, I agree that Chico has already outstayed his welcome.

Music's still awesome, btw.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Still loving it. And for anyone who hasn't read the comic, yes, everyone's an ******* to some extent in the beginning. Also, I agree that Chico has already outstayed his welcome.

Music's still awesome, btw.
    Throwing in the tape with that particular Descendents' tune was a truly brilliant bit of foreshadowing for what would happen in the second episode.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Throwing in the tape with that particular Descendents' tune was a truly brilliant bit of foreshadowing for what would happen in the second episode.
    I was already a fan of most of the bands with songs featured in the first two episodes before, but that Agent Orange track used in the first episode was an absolute mind blower for me.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I'm liking this show quite a bit through the first two episodes. Some of the voiceover narration sounds a bit stilted when said out loud... I assume it's lifted directly from the comics page.

As someone who was roughly contemporary with these kids, they get the 80's down pretty well. Better than most shows set then.

Henry Rollins' character is cool... I hope he sticks around.

Every time they say "King's Dominion" I think of an amusement park. Wonder what made Remender choose that name?

Anyone know how many episodes season 1 is supposed to be? I only see 4 listed.

One thing that's worth a mention for folks who haven't read the comic...

Steer way clear of anything that might go into the "Comic's" part of the equation. In addition, I'd avoid things like the "Comments" section of the recent A.V. Club wrap ups. The articles themselves have seemed fine. The comments, on the other hand, are an issue for folks who haven't really read the comics.

This episode was way better than last. More sh*t is happening and the characters are getting better defined.
    How does this compare to the comic and is the comic worth reading?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This episode was way better than last. More sh*t is happening and the characters are getting better defined.
    How does this compare to the comic and is the comic worth reading?
    In green, any real discussion of that question is going to create the issue that I brought up. If someone is a fan of the show at all and hasn't read the comic, I'd suggest staying completely "I Know Nothing About The Comic..." for a while to come.

In Blue, that's going to depend. Obviously, the issue above creates an issue in talking about a lot of the "Why?"

Having read a good bit of the comic, I'd say it's worth reading. Just not until the show has developed quite a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    In green, any real discussion of that question is going to create the issue that I brought up. If someone is a fan of the show at all and hasn't read the comic, I'd suggest staying completely "I Know Nothing About The Comic..." for a while to come.

In Blue, that's going to depend. Obviously, the issue above creates an issue in talking about a lot of the "Why?"

Having read a good bit of the comic, I'd say it's worth reading. Just not until the show has developed quite a bit more.
    By compare I only meant are they staying fairly close to the comic?

Thanks for the rest of the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    By compare I only meant are they staying fairly close to the comic?

Thanks for the rest of the answer.
    Honestly, it's sort of equal amounts of "Yes"/"No"/"Currently Hard To Tell".

For instance, the "Poison Lab" teacher has a much smaller role in the comic.

Henry Rollins' character has been one of the most interesting so far... I'm glad this last episode turned out as it did.

I really liked this last episode, and think each one has gotten better than the last. I hope it's getting the ratings to stick around for a while.

(But seriously... a punk and a goth dancing to Chris De Burgh's "Lady in Red"? Irony, I guess.)

I've never read the comic. But I do like that all the flashback scenes are in animated form and modelled on (I assume) the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Henry Rollins' character has been one of the most interesting so far... I'm glad this last episode turned out as it did.

I really liked this last episode, and think each one has gotten better than the last. I hope it's getting the ratings to stick around for a while.

(But seriously... a punk and a goth dancing to Chris De Burgh's "Lady in Red"? Irony, I guess.)

I've never read the comic. But I do like that all the flashback scenes are in animated form and modelled on (I assume) the comic.
    The initial(Marcus) flashback wasn't "Panel For Panel", but it was close.

French Stewart's character was brilliantly creepy and f-ed up in this last episode, too. Evil Hogwarts has some interesting faculty members.

They do seem to be rushing some plot elements a bit, though. This business with Jurgen Denke, and the reveal of the secret master(s) of the school, seems like it should have come considerably farther on than the third episode of the series. Makes me suspect the showrunners aren't very confident in how long the show will last.

Also, I really hope it won't turn out that the school is run by the hackneyed old Tradition-Bound Cabal of Evil Super Rich People Who Have Secretly Ruled the World for Centuries. I am soooo done with that trope.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Well, I made it through half of the first episode and I had to stop. It looks good, don't get me wrong, but it was, so far, such a close adaptation of the comic that I thought it would just take away from the experience of reading the comic to watch the TV show, at a much earlier stage of the story, at the same time. I may well go back and watch it when the comic book ends but for now, I think I'm just going to stick to the story's original medium.

Incidentally, I can, without spoilers, say that the comics are very, very much worth reading. It's one of my favourite books out there right now. Also, if the show continues to stick close to the comics, I can all but guarantee you that it gets much, much better as it goes along. The first arc was easily one of, if not the, weakest arcs of the series.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.