Astonishing Member

Default Ranking the Spider-Man Video Games from Best to Worst

Since the Spider-man PS4 game came out last September year to rave reviews, I thought I would ask how you would rank the Spider-Man video games from best to worst?

Astonishing Member

I've only played a few.

1. Spider-Man (2000)
    2. Spider-Man 2
    3. Spider-Man (2002)
    4. Spider-Man: Enter Electro.

Wun = Shattered Dimensions
    Too = PS4
    Thrii = Ultimate
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

-PS4 Spider-Man
    -Spider-Man Vs The Kingpin (Sega CD)
    -Maximum Carnage
    -Spider-Man (Game Boy Colour)
    -Ultimate Spider-Man
    -Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
    -Spider-Man and Venom: Seperation Anxiety

BANNED

I haven't played all Spider-Man games. But I do know the rest from YoutTube videos and playthroughs and so on.

Among the ones I have played and consider to be good and decent, and excellent:

1) Spider-Man PS4 : Best Spider-Man game ever. The hype is real, earned, and accurate.

2) Spider-Man: The Movie (2002) : Overshadowed by Spider-Man 2's PS2 port, this game has a lot to recommend it. Mainly for the aerial boss-fights. It's the only Spider-Game where you get to fight the Green Goblin on his Glider in multiple stages. No other Spider-Man game offers this. Also complete the game and you get to play as The Green Goblin, and he has unique skills/traversals/abilities and it's awesome.

3) Activision's Spider-Man (2000): This one is based on the comics. Graphics are dated, but it's got a decent boss-fight with Mysterio, and the cutscenes are hilarious.

4) Ultimate Spider-Man: Based on Bendis' comic. Cel-shaded and looks nice. But it's kind of forgettable. You get to play Venom in some levels and he's no fun.

I have also played the PC Version of Spider-Man 2: The Movie which is entirely different from the famous PS2 one (totally inaccessible on account of lack of updated re-release and port to later versions). That game is terrible and it's the worst Spider-Man game I played.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I haven't played all Spider-Man games. But I do know the rest from YoutTube videos and playthroughs and so on.

Among the ones I have played and consider to be good and decent, and excellent:

1) Spider-Man PS4 : Best Spider-Man game ever. The hype is real, earned, and accurate.

2) Spider-Man: The Movie (2002) : Overshadowed by Spider-Man 2's PS2 port, this game has a lot to recommend it. Mainly for the aerial boss-fights. It's the only Spider-Game where you get to fight the Green Goblin on his Glider in multiple stages. No other Spider-Man game offers this. Also complete the game and you get to play as The Green Goblin, and he has unique skills/traversals/abilities and it's awesome.

3) Activision's Spider-Man (2000): This one is based on the comics. Graphics are dated, but it's got a decent boss-fight with Mysterio, and the cutscenes are hilarious.

4) Ultimate Spider-Man: Based on Bendis' comic. Cel-shaded and looks nice. But it's kind of forgettable. You get to play Venom in some levels and he's no fun.

I have also played the PC Version of Spider-Man 2: The Movie which is entirely different from the famous PS2 one (totally inaccessible on account of lack of updated re-release and port to later versions). That game is terrible and it's the worst Spider-Man game I played.
    If you switch 2 and 4, we could agree!
    Also: Web of Shadows, Shattered Dimensions. WoS was one of my old favorites, and Shattered Dimensions was good to offer something different!

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

PS4 Spider-Man is the best, no question in my mind.

But the N64 game gets honorable mention, because at the time, it was such a step up from everything that came before. And it actually had comic-book easter eggs and suits galore. Even one that PS4 hasn't made available yet, the paper-bag FF suit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    If you switch 2 and 4, we could agree!
    Maybe I could replay Ultimate Spider-Man...it had a good PC release. What did you like about it?

Also: Web of Shadows, Shattered Dimensions. WoS was one of my old favorites, and Shattered Dimensions was good to offer something different!
    I saw playthroughs at that. It looked cool and everything. Slott worked on Shattered Dimensions, so I'll try not to hold that against it...

Web of Shadows looked interesting and in terms of its choice mechanics it's the ultimate shipping game and its comics compliant...MJ does in fact like Spider-Man's red and blues while Felicia liked the black costume and made the Cloth version of it.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Not played them all.
    PS4 Spider-Man is the best. Believe the hype.
    Ultimate Spider-Man.
    Shattered Dimensions
    Ps1 Activision Spider-Man
    Enter Electro (I cant really remember this one other than the final battle used to p*ss me off)

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Maybe I could replay Ultimate Spider-Man...it had a good PC release. What did you like about it?
    I love the art style and the gameplay. I think it takes the scope and gameplay style of SM2 and polishes it up for the game. It's also insanely fun! The boss fights are excellent.

I saw playthroughs at that. It looked cool and everything. Slott worked on Shattered Dimensions, so I'll try not to hold that against it...

Web of Shadows looked interesting and in terms of its choice mechanics it's the ultimate shipping game and its comics compliant...MJ does in fact like Spider-Man's red and blues while Felicia liked the black costume and made the Cloth version of it.
    Yeah, man! Try Web of Shadows! It's darker than most Spidey games, but just as fun. Don't play the Wii version like I did: big mistake lol

Astonishing Member

1-Spider-Man:The Video Game Arcade game by Sega.

2-Spider-Man 1 (Playstation 1)

3-Spider-Man and Venom:Maximum Carnage (Sega/Mega Drive) (One of the first video games inspired directly on a comic book story)

4-Spider-Man 2 (Playstation 2)

Amazing Member

-A tier-
    Marvel's Spider-Man

-B tier-
    Web of Shadows
    Shattered Dimensions
    Spider-Man (2000)
    Spider-Man 2
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Spider-Man the movie game

-C tier-
    Edge of Time
    Spider-Man 3

-D tier-
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Enter Electro

-F tier-
    Friend or Foe
    Last edited by CosmicGoji; 01-10-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Spider-Man games I'm most familiar with:
    Spider-Man PS4 stands supreme as the best, it does pretty much everything right, story, gameplay, presentation, etc., it is the perfect kind of Spider-Man game (at least so far)

Spider-Man 2 Movie Game was the previous holder of that title, with its more non-linear gameplay and open world to explore, its like a GTA game with Spider-Man. Its still good, just PS4 does everything good about it MUCH better

Shattered Dimensions is a really fun one for me. The levels can feel a bit too repetitive and drag out a bit too much, but the character interactions/voices, the fanservice, and majority of the gameplay make me keep going back to it occasionally.

Spider-Man PS1 has alot of nostalgia for me. It's simple but really fun and effective. And going back now that I'm more familiar with Spider-Man I love how deep into the lore and history it gets.

Maximum Carnage is an incredibly fun SNES beat em up that still holds up fairly well.

Spider-Man 1 Movie Game is good enough for what it is, other games would take its mechanics and improve them ten fold, and its a bit clunky at points, but its got enough in it to make it decent.

Spider-Man 3 Movie Game is just kind of okay. It tries to do what 2 Movie Game does, but it feels too linear and just nothing too memorable about the overall experience.

Games I haven't played in a while:
    Spider-Man Friend Or Foe
    Edge Of Time
    Amazing Spider-Man 1
    Amazing Spider-Man 2

I played these ones, but its been a while and I don't remember too much about them, so I need to get the chance to go back and replay them to get a better opinion. I remember Edge Of Time having an interesting story but gameplay wise was a letdown in comparison to Shattered Dimensions. Friend Or Foe was an interesting concept, getting to play as all the movie baddies, and the ASM movie games were just kind of generic licensed games.

Games I haven't played but want to check out:
    Separation Anxiety
    Spider-Man SNES & GEN
    Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Web Of Shadows

I've heard alot of various things about these games, and I really wanna give them a chance at some point, especially Ultimate Spider-Man since I love the Ultimate universe.