Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Show Me Your Animal Side! Circe Appreciation 2019

A new year, a new appreciation thread for Circe.

First appearance: Wonder Woman Volume 1, Issue 37 (September/October 1949)

Created by: Robert Kanigher, Harry G. Peter

For 2019, I want a good solo Circe story (meaning no Lex, no Ra's, no other major DC baddies). Her Trinity story was decent, but packed with other characters (including the aforementioned villains). She deserves a big story arc to herself. Maybe even, shudder to think... a crossover event to redeem herself from War of the Gods and Amazons Attack?

Tynion had her as a major supporting player in The Witching Hour, and seems to have her set up as a big up and coming player for the future of the JLD.

I really loved Perez’s Circe and her appearance in The Witching Hour has been her best, most interesting appearance since the DCnU. Tynion really captured her power, attitude, and a newfound quirkiness, the latter of which she never really had before, but I found gave her a new dimension to play her character. Circe as a forthright, whip-smart adventurer goddess was really interesting. and appealing

Coolest thing Circe ever did is still this:

I proposed this idea for a Circe origin in another thread but I thought I'd repost it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    My idea for a Circe story. Remember the part in the Odyssey where Odyseus and his men stumble across Circe's island and get turned into animals? I'd add a twist to that. Odyseus and his men do find the island but instead are given shelter and food by Circe who has no ill intentions toward them. However, Odyseus drugs Circe and robs her home and kills her daughter Lyra. On their way, some of Odyseus' men consume a plant that was on Circe's island which turns them into beasts and kill some of the men who weren't turned. This betrayal by Odyseus as well as the following slander would be what sets Circe on a path to darkness. She'd also try to appeal to the Amazons as both are women who've been shunned and slandered by the world if men.

So what do you guys think?

IMG_0468.JPG

One of my all-time favorite covers with Circe. I love how Perez turned her into a horror type character with her Beastiamorphs, never minding how completely unbothered Circe is portrayed here, seemingly subduing one of the most powerful heroes in the DCU.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 02-10-2019 at 09:15 AM.

IMG_0469.jpg

Rachel York did such a fantastic job voicing and singing as Circe in her appearance in the JLU animated series. Smart, glib, powerful, erratic, and capricious, befitting an immortal goddess.

Yes, to the magenta mane of hair (and not frosted candy floss lavender) and I love her Kirby-esque styled costume.

I love it when villains meet and/or team up and develop their own relationships outside their primary adversaries as part of their characterization and development.

That said, I didn't love the Circe as the repudiated woman (even if the story ultimately played out in a fun way in The Witch and the Warrior storyline) by Lex. It served its purpose in moving the plot along, but I get annoyed when villains like Circe, Cheetah, Sivana, Black Adam, etc. are not on more of an even standing in their own way with Lex. I get that people like Lex and the Joker, but if they're always on top, or the only ones who are consistently one step ahead, it gets boring quiiiiiiiiiick.

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

Entitled: How To Make An Entrance

I was unsold on "Trench Coat Circe" from Rucka's run until this scene in the Witching Hour storyline by Tynion. As I mentioned in my comments above, this gives Circe a new dimension to explore and direction to head in as a Machiavellian adventurer goddess with a sense of humor and strong sense of self.

Alongside what GWW is doing in Wonder Woman, I approve of any characterization that contemporary-izes the Olympian gods and other divinities that haven't been locked away for millennia untold. It has never made sense that all of them would remain Hellenized and "classicly stagnant" to me - unless imprisoned and locked away from the world for eons.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 02-13-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Mighty Member

Well Circe is currently quasi a Universal+ to Multiversal Goddess of Magic due to Hecate's powers:

So i've have no idea what Tynion is rly planning to do with her, except making her kind of an ally against the Upside Down Man/Otherkind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    For 2019, I want a good solo Circe story (meaning no Lex, no Ra's, no other major DC baddies). Her Trinity story was decent, but packed with other characters (including the aforementioned villains). She deserves a big story arc to herself. Maybe even, shudder to think... a crossover event to redeem herself from War of the Gods and Amazons Attack?
    Tynion looks to be building up to a Circe story in JLD. I’d like to see Wilson take a crack at her as well though. Rebirth Circe would actually fit in really well with this story Wilson is building about the gods living in a “contemporary” world. Circe is someone who seems perfectly adapted to the modern world, she’d make a good foil for Diana and the others as they struggle to adjust.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-13-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Tynion looks to be building up to a Circe story in JLD. I’d like to see Wilson take a crack at her as well though. Rebirth Circe would actually fit in really well with this story Wilson is building about the gods living in a “contemporary” world. Circe is someone who seems perfectly adapted to the modern world, she’d make a good foil for Diana and the others as they struggle to adjust.
    I'm actually curious how much (or how little) communication there is between Wilson and Tynion here. Is the destruction of Olympos in the Wonder Woman title only tied to Ares freeing himself, or is it somehow also tied to the events in The Witching Hour? The role of Circe also definitely counts here.

For now, I guess that Circe is fully within Tynion's bailiwick, and I think Wilson has dug up more than enough rogues and adversaries from prior runs to keep her occupied for a long time. But I wouldn't be surprised if she turns up as an advisor with an agenda in Wilson's run: it fits somewhat into her role in the Greek myths and definitely fits her role in The Witching Hour.

I wonder who would be a good actress to play Circe?

Anyone got any thoughts on my Circe origin idea posted above?