Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member Crimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,127

    Default Flame On! Johnny Storm: The Human Torch Appreciation 2019

    It's time to appreciate our favorite hothead: The Human Torch!





    Origin

    Along with the other members of the Fantastic Four Johnny Storm's story begins in the pages of Fantastic Four #1 (1961).

    After the fateful bombardment of cosmic rays Johnny discovered that he can become living flame and fly, leading to take on the moniker of the Human Torch!





    Through the years

    Johnny is the youngest of the Fantastic Four and got his powers as a teen. Because of this he could be very immature and quick to temper, usually pulling pranks on Ben Grimm and the first to fly head first into danger. But Johnny always knew that his powers were the most dangerous and destructive of the team and constantly kept them in check.

    Through the years he's also been in quite a few relationships with the most notable being: Crystal the Inhuman, Frankie Raye (Nova), and Lyja the Skrull (who was disguised as Alicia Masters). None of his relationships lasted and he is considered the teams perpetual bachelor even though he really wants to settle down and have kids.

    He has teamed up many times with other heroes, particularly Spider-Man, and has had many of his own adventures.

    He is also well known for his famous catchphrase of Flame On!

    Human Torch today



    Johnny has continued to mature and gain greater control over his powers, and has the most destructive power of the Fantastic Four.

    While he still has moments of immaturity, he is a true hero that is counted on by his peers. And he still out looking for love.

    It will be interesting to see what 2019 will bring for Johnny.
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-10-2019 at 09:21 AM.

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member Crimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,127
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-21-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    Get issue 1 of the INVISIBLE WOMAN mini OUT NOW!


    Also check out : The Invisible Woman Appreciation thread!

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    I already said where I first saw him in F4 thread so here's my most memorable scene of him

    CeVYgpuVAAAdlFC.jpg

    ASM #680

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member Silvermoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Could a mod fix the spelling mistake in the title please. Thanks
    You may need to contact them directly

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I already said where I first saw him in F4 thread so here's my most memorable scene of him

    CeVYgpuVAAAdlFC.jpg

    ASM #680
    Hot, hope we see that in the movie.

    Also, I hope they add him as dlc to the Spider-Man game. But I reckon that recent news was just about adding the Baxter building

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member Crimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Fandango View Post

    Zsaji? Kourtney Keaton? Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here... And Medusa was only because he felt lonely while Reed and Sue were missing, as admitted in the article.
    The only ones who should be there are Dorrie, Crystal, Nova, and Lyja (barely).

    I think the Marvel Knights run may be 100% canon now if they count Kourtney.

    Plus, where's Wyatt in the bonds section?
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-14-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    Get issue 1 of the INVISIBLE WOMAN mini OUT NOW!


    Also check out : The Invisible Woman Appreciation thread!

  7. #7
    Fantastic Member Grim Fandango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Plus, where's Wyatt in the bonds section?

  8. #8
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Zsaji? Kourtney Keaton? Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here... And Medusa was only because he felt lonely while Reed and Sue were missing, as admitted in the article.
    The only ones who should be there are Dorrie, Crystal, Nova, and Lyja (barely).
    The title said "romantic relationships"--not the loves of his life. Medusa, Kourtney and even Zsaji all fall into that category. If anything, the surprise is that the list isn't more extensive, with some of his other short-term girlfriends in there, like Darla Deering, Lorrie Milton, Psionics, Princess Valeria of the 5th Dimension, Cole (daughter of the Wizard), etc).

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Plus, where's Wyatt in the bonds section?
    Yeah, that is definitely an oversight on their part.

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member Crimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    The title said "romantic relationships"--not the loves of his life. Medusa, Kourtney and even Zsaji all fall into that category. If anything, the surprise is that the list isn't more extensive, with some of his other short-term girlfriends in there, like Darla Deering, Lorrie Milton, Psionics, Princess Valeria of the 5th Dimension, Cole (daughter of the Wizard), etc).



    Yeah, that is definitely an oversight on their part.
    The most interesting is Kourtney as Marvel has been a bit iffy on whether the Marvel Knights run of Fantastic Four is canon.
    Get issue 1 of the INVISIBLE WOMAN mini OUT NOW!


    Also check out : The Invisible Woman Appreciation thread!

  10. #10

    Default

    so how would a solo series work now?
    What about retro tales when Johnny was a teen?

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member Crimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so how would a solo series work now?
    What about retro tales when Johnny was a teen?
    It would need a hook and I can't think of a good one right now.

    Having it set when he was a teen seems a bit redundant. Johnny's issue is his arrested development and focusing on when he was a teen seems counter productive to what the character needs.
    Get issue 1 of the INVISIBLE WOMAN mini OUT NOW!


    Also check out : The Invisible Woman Appreciation thread!

  12. #12
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    It would need a hook and I can't think of a good one right now.

    Having it set when he was a teen seems a bit redundant. Johnny's issue is his arrested development and focusing on when he was a teen seems counter productive to what the character needs.
    It does. But allow me to make an observation mixing meta-comment and Johnny's history. His teen years was when he had his most successful solo series. Although the Thing's increasing popularity brought him into the strip, Johnny's most frequent solo adventuring was when he was young and new to the life. Johnny (and obviously Sue) could use a recap of how his history has gone from powers to now.

    Maybe a mini where he's dealing with a problem that's been reoccuring through his life and finally he deals with it. Perhaps a villain to call his own. I'm sure we could go back and go through those old Strange tales stories and discover a villain that could be updated despite looking to be somewhat lame even at the time.

  13. #13
    Wily Veteran cc008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    12,758

    Default

    This was posted in the late stages of the last appreciation thread and I love it so much. One of my favorite pictures of Johnny:

    KkcHFdU.jpg

    Any hint of him returning in Taylor's FN Spider-Man? He was a good supporting character in Spectacular. I really enjoyed that.
    On your left, 'till the end of the line.
    Maximum effort.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    It does. But allow me to make an observation mixing meta-comment and Johnny's history. His teen years was when he had his most successful solo series. Although the Thing's increasing popularity brought him into the strip, Johnny's most frequent solo adventuring was when he was young and new to the life. Johnny (and obviously Sue) could use a recap of how his history has gone from powers to now.

    Maybe a mini where he's dealing with a problem that's been reoccuring through his life and finally he deals with it. Perhaps a villain to call his own. I'm sure we could go back and go through those old Strange tales stories and discover a villain that could be updated despite looking to be somewhat lame even at the time.
    I agree . Besides the O5 gets a teen book put out every couple of years, no reason the same couldn't work for Johnny. I also think it could be a decent way to add onto history to help him grow more or at the very least be treated with more respect in the present continuity.
    The Human Rocket Nova Prime Appreciation Thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

    Explain The Appeal ~ Hawkman: http://community.comicbookresources....73#post3725173

    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member Crimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    It does. But allow me to make an observation mixing meta-comment and Johnny's history. His teen years was when he had his most successful solo series. Although the Thing's increasing popularity brought him into the strip, Johnny's most frequent solo adventuring was when he was young and new to the life. Johnny (and obviously Sue) could use a recap of how his history has gone from powers to now.

    Maybe a mini where he's dealing with a problem that's been reoccuring through his life and finally he deals with it. Perhaps a villain to call his own. I'm sure we could go back and go through those old Strange tales stories and discover a villain that could be updated despite looking to be somewhat lame even at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I agree . Besides the O5 gets a teen book put out every couple of years, no reason the same couldn't work for Johnny. I also think it could be a decent way to add onto history to help him grow more or at the very least be treated with more respect in the present continuity.
    Ok cool, I can see it now. A way to show much he's grown since then by showing him not making the same mistakes he did as a teen. It could be cool and we'd get to see how Johnny has matured and have him continue to grow and mature.
    Get issue 1 of the INVISIBLE WOMAN mini OUT NOW!


    Also check out : The Invisible Woman Appreciation thread!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •