Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

After reading that link from marvel.com, it is clear that a series focusing on johnnys love of auto repair is long overdue.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

I'm tired of Johnny just flying up and blasting stuff. It's time to get more creative with what he can do again.

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I'm tired of Johnny just flying up and blasting stuff. It's time to get more creative with what he can do again.

One of the beliefs I have regarding the FF's powers is that basically, they all have a single power each. Now there may be aspects of that power which look like multiple powers like Reed or Ben's ability to more stress and impact, but that's due to their new forms.Seeing into infra-red part of the spectrum seems like an additional super-power for Johnny, unless we can tie it into a need for his eyes to be able to do that while he's flamed on. Because of the heat differences, eyes that can properly detect heat seem to be a good thing and something that could be useful, so I'm OK with it. I'm also throwing this Sue's way and speculating that whatever is allowing Johnny to see infrared while flamed on allows Sue to see while invisible. Part of the power, I suppose.

And yes, this is all "what I think", not canon.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    One of the beliefs I have regarding the FF's powers is that basically, they all have a single power each. Now there may be aspects of that power which look like multiple powers like Reed or Ben's ability to more stress and impact, but that's due to their new forms.Seeing into infra-red part of the spectrum seems like an additional super-power for Johnny, unless we can tie it into a need for his eyes to be able to do that while he's flamed on. Because of the heat differences, eyes that can properly detect heat seem to be a good thing and something that could be useful, so I'm OK with it. I'm also throwing this Sue's way and speculating that whatever is allowing Johnny to see infrared while flamed on allows Sue to see while invisible. Part of the power, I suppose.

And yes, this is all "what I think", not canon.
    Johnny can absorb and control heat itself, using it to reignite or add more power to his flames. Seeing/sensing heat would be necessary adaptation for finding heat sources to absorb when low on energy. I guess it's about how different fans see the characters. I see Johnny as the living embodiment of fire and heat and that his powers are based around that. So for me it makes sense that he can sense or see heat and has the potential to other crazy cool things.

I think that there is a lot of interesting ways Johnny could (and has) use his powers and just having him blast stuff and if that fails then going nova, is such a waste.

What do you think is Sue's single power by the way?

You just made me wonder how the hell do Johnny's eyes work when flamed on?.... I don't want to think about. It's gonna give me a headache.
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-21-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Has the FF ever visited a planet where "everybody" has flame powers or it is considered a divine gift?

Johnny can absorb and control heat itself, using it to reignite or add more power to his flames. Seeing/sensing heat would be necessary adaptation for finding heat sources to absorb when low on energy. I guess it's about how different fans see the characters. I see Johnny as the living embodiment of fire and heat and that his powers are based around that. So for me it makes sense that he can sense or see heat and has the potential to other crazy cool things.

I think that there is a lot of interesting ways Johnny could (and has) use his powers and just having him blast stuff and if that fails then going nova, is such a waste.

What do you think is Sue's single power by the way?

You just made me wonder how the hell do Johnny's eyes work when flamed on?.... I don't want to think about. It's gonna give me a headache.
    As for Sue, it's my belief she ties into what physicists refer to as "dark energy". This ndark energy is what's speculated to make galaxies speed away form each other faster and faster. As scientifically good an explanation as "hyperspace" but it does use current terminology.

Johnny controls fire and heat. I think he's actually using the dirt and sweat on his body and converting that into energy shown as his flame.

His eyesight doesn't bother me but his other senses may be affected by his increased body temperature. How would a smell get into his hot nasal passages?

Fantastic Four #9 Variant cover by Bill Sienkiewicz:

Last edited by Crimz; 01-22-2019 at 12:17 PM.

This is an interesting thing I've never though about:

This is an interesting thing I've never though about:

This way lies the pseudo-scientific chat about super powers. I remember reading an issue of DC where the heroes were shrunk to subatomic size and the Atom says "Wondering how we breathe? Don't ask!"

But, as you well know, I LOVE that kind of chat. Personally since at higher temperature, gasses are still gasses, the Torch's breathing is less of an issue than other's heroes questions.

Johnny showed up in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #2.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

This way lies the pseudo-scientific chat about super powers. I remember reading an issue of DC where the heroes were shrunk to subatomic size and the Atom says "Wondering how we breathe? Don't ask!"

But, as you well know, I LOVE that kind of chat. Personally since at higher temperature, gasses are still gasses, the Torch's breathing is less of an issue than other's heroes questions.
    The potential immortality thing is interesting too and something I never thought about.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Johnny showed up in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #2.
    Nice. It's great that writers still show his friendship with Spider-Man. I hope we get to see it on the big screen someday.

The potential immortality thing is interesting too and something I never thought about.
    I'm not sure it's that big of a deal for Reed, Sue, and Johnny. Ben's aging doesn't happen while he's rocky and he's currently rocky 51 weeks a year (or 364 days a year). I'd assume the same applies to Reed while stretched, Johnny while flamed on, and Sue while either invisible or using her fields. But the others aren't using their powers that often. If we make assumptions about Reed, he knows Ben's situation. If relatively non-stupid folks like us can speculate about that for other members of the four, then surely Reed's come up with a way to measure aging to that degree. Still would you want to live forever if it meant being invisible, stretched, or flamed on?

I'm not sure it's that big of a deal for Reed, Sue, and Johnny. Ben's aging doesn't happen while he's rocky and he's currently rocky 51 weeks a year (or 364 days a year). I'd assume the same applies to Reed while stretched, Johnny while flamed on, and Sue while either invisible or using her fields. But the others aren't using their powers that often. If we make assumptions about Reed, he knows Ben's situation. If relatively non-stupid folks like us can speculate about that for other members of the four, then surely Reed's come up with a way to measure aging to that degree. Still would you want to live forever if it meant being invisible, stretched, or flamed on?
    It's not something that I think should happen, at least not in 616. I just think it's interesting that he could potentially be immortal if stayed flamed on.

Isn't Reed's body always elastic? If a writer came and said that as a result of his body he will long like Ben then I wouldn't bat an eye. I don't see how invisibility would extend Sue's life unless she it's secretly doing more than bending light.