Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    It's not something that I think should happen, at least not in 616. I just think it's interesting that he could potentially be immortal if stayed flamed on.

Isn't Reed's body always elastic? If a writer came and said that as a result of his body he will long like Ben then I wouldn't bat an eye. I don't see how invisibility would extend Sue's life unless she it's secretly doing more than bending light.
    Ultimate Reed was noted as having a different body structure. I also think 616 reed was noted as being somewhat different as well, but not to the extent of the Ultimate Reed. If this is the case, I'd imagine Reed living as long as Ben, but in Hickman's run we didn't see that. Now 616 Reed could have died from another cause, but I doubt Hickman thought the immortality would carry over to all four members. But that was a possible future, especially after Secret Wars' reconstruction of the multiverse.

Sue's powers differ from the others in that she affects other forces and items. The male three members of the FF had their physical bodies affected giving them powers from their bodies to do other stuff. The more i think about this, the more it bothers me, even though it's clear Stan and Jack didn't worry too much about this outside of making sure the powers were cool to read about and see.

But Johnny may very well be immortal while flamed on. I don't think it would be a stretch to assume he'd have the amount of time flamed on added to his natural life span. After all, he still has limits to how long he can remain flamed on, still, right?

In the past it was only a few hours. Then it went up to a bit to over half a day/twelve hours.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Strange Tales #117 Feb 1964
    "The Return of the Eel!"
    Having served his time, The Eel is released from jail,

but Johnny's suspicious because he left prison wearing his Eel costume;
    Taking a security guard job at an aquarium,

The Eel begins pulling crimes.

Script by Stan Lee (co-plot, script) and Dick Ayers (co-plot, un-credited), art by Dick Ayers

I'd love to utilize guys like the Eel, who have some knowledge, ability, and a lack of morals who don't aim for it all. They want to dwell in the little pond B or C list villainy where heroes won't notice them. Even the most mundane can come up with a gimmick and be able to provide some sort of threat given prep time.

Eel is currently a member of the West Coast Masters of Evil.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/West_...engers_Vol_3_7
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Just catching up here. Glad to see Johnny has such an interesting thread going on.

The ideas about Johnny, Reed or Ben's possible mutation including immortality aspects is fascinating. Doesn't it seem that the cosmic ray mutations not only gave them super powers but these super powers are showing inward or innate abilities - The Fantastic Four are more like the Eternals. Even Sue perhaps since her power is deemed greater than all the others. Their powers give them qualities similar to what Celestials experiments did on early humans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Eel is currently a member of the West Coast Masters of Evil.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/West_...engers_Vol_3_7
    Yep. Different Eel though--Johnny's Eel has been dead for years. Johnny has fought the current Eel at least once though (way back during "Acts Of Vengeance").

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Just catching up here. Glad to see Johnny has such an interesting thread going on.

The ideas about Johnny, Reed or Ben's possible mutation including immortality aspects is fascinating. Doesn't it seem that the cosmic ray mutations not only gave them super powers but these super powers are showing inward or innate abilities - The Fantastic Four are more like the Eternals. Even Sue perhaps since her power is deemed greater than all the others. Their powers give them qualities similar to what Celestials experiments did on early humans.
    There's definitely an interesting story here. It's been so long since we've had a story that really delved into their powers. It would be cool to see what's changed, how much they've grown, and what their potential might be.
    If there are more to their their powers than it seems then that could be very interesting too.
    Last edited by Crimz; 02-12-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

There's definitely an interesting story here. It's been so long since we've had a story that really delved into their powers. It would be cool to see what's changed, how much they've grown, and what their potential might be.
    If there are more to their their powers than it seems then that could be very interesting too.
    I'm worried more about a "their powers go away if they're separated:" theme like we saw in Two-In-One. As much as it sounds like I'm an entitled fanboy, I want the FF's powers to be firm and permanent and not so easilydissolved. Didn't Reed and others try for years to cure Ben?

But the focus is Hickman's immortal Ben and if other aspects of what ideally are simple powers could produce interesting extrapolations, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm worried more about a "their powers go away if they're separated:" theme like we saw in Two-In-One. As much as it sounds like I'm an entitled fanboy, I want the FF's powers to be firm and permanent and not so easilydissolved. Didn't Reed and others try for years to cure Ben?

But the focus is Hickman's immortal Ben and if other aspects of what ideally are simple powers could produce interesting extrapolations, so be it.
    That's the one thing I really didn't like from 2-One. I know what Zdarsky was going for, but for me it is emphasizing a problem I've had with how some writers portray the FF. It makes them less like distinct individuals that make up a family and more like one character separated into four parts. It takes away from their individuality.

Their powers manifested in wildly different ways to highlight how different their personalities are from each other. Johnny could go off on his own adventures tomorrow without the rest of the FF, but this link hampers that. Together the team does the fantastic, they shouldn't be forced to stay together because of some weird cosmic link that also limits story potential.

Here is an image of Johnny thinking from next week's Spider-Man B book. Who among thee is bold enough to use it as an avatar?

https://13thdimension.com/exclusive-...-spider-man-3/

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

This deserves to be here from the latest FF issue:

Slott might be upping Johnny's power, which is something I wanted for a long time.
    Last edited by Crimz; 03-02-2019 at 07:24 PM.

BANNED

Strange Tales #118 Mar 1964
    "The Man Who Became the Torch!"
    The Wizard breaks jail, and begins pulling crimes using a new anti-gravity flying device he's invented;

Via trickery and disguise, he captures Johnny, then Sue,

and begins impersonating Johnny,

while planning bigger and bolder crimes with which to use his anti-gravity device.

Script by Stan Lee (co-plot, script) and Dick Ayers (co-plot, un-credited), art by Dick Ayers

Johnny had a brief cameo in Uncanny X-Men: Winters End.

Johnny had a brief cameo in Uncanny X-Men: Winters End.

I'm guessing the trepidation is due to Johnny's lack of knowledge about certain pop culture series coming back to HBO next month. I can certainly see Johnny being blissfully unaware of source material.