Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Criminal (Ongoing And Past)

Without spoiling too much of the first issue of the new "Ongoing" series that kicked off this week, it was great to see the world of the series get fleshed out a bit more and a story that gave first time readers a bit of the lay of the land.

Bonus points for the writer providing a "The Road Up Until Now..." piece that took the place of the letters column in this issue.

Pretty excited for where things could go from here.

I read it yesterday and it was great. Looking forward to reading more. Read about 6 issues of the original Criminal but will continue soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbones View Post
    I read it yesterday and it was great. Looking forward to reading more. Read about 6 issues of the original Criminal but will continue soon.
    Just out of curiosity, are you one of the readers that wound up at Criminal by way of Kill Or Be Killed??

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Haven't read the new issue yet (saving it, saving it!), but have read all previous issues and have My Heroes on tap to read, too. Just want to join up here, for when I do finish the new issue. Go Brubaker/Phillips
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I just finished reading issue #1. Loved it. Can't wait for the next one!
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

I work in a shop and I judged everyone who didn’t buy it. Including those who didn’t buy it because we sold out. (Obviously I’m joking. Maybe. )

Seriously though, anyone with a passing interest in not only Brubaker and Phillips but crime fiction in general should be reading this, can’t wait to see where it goes!!
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

I'm definitely interested to see how differently they treat the book as an ongoing, than self contained arcs that have character overlap.

Good comic, as all the Criminal books are. My guess is even though this is ongoing it will be an anthology, jumping around with stories about the Lawless and others in various time periods.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Good comic, as all the Criminal books are. My guess is even though this is ongoing it will be an anthology, jumping around with stories about the Lawless and others in various time periods.
    If you get the "From The Desk Of..." newsletter, the preview for the second issue seems to point to that what's in blue will at least partially be the case.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'm definitely interested to see how differently they treat the book as an ongoing, than self contained arcs that have character overlap.
    I'm wondering if the model is Astro City, which is mostly an anthology of short stories with some longer arcs mixed in, but also uses short stories for world-building and to set up things that will become important later.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If you get the "From The Desk Of..." newsletter, the preview for the second issue seems to point to that what's in blue will at least partially be the case.
    The good thing is he can do one offs to year long arcs.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Love the world of Criminal. Rich with ideas and it feels as though they’re only just getting started.

The text of April's issue #4 solicit...

A breathtaking single-issue story finds Ricky Lawless caught in the grip of violence and double cross after a robbery. As always, CRIMINAL contains back page art and articles only found in the single issues.

I bought the first 4 volumes of Criminal on Comixology.

Astonishing Member

I'm working (if that's the right word for something that's meant to be a pleasure) through a backlog of December and January comics, so I just got around to #1 tonight. Based on that issue, I'm in for the long haul with this title, but then again I had fully expected that I would be. This team does not disappoint.