Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Steve Rogers, Captain America, Different Now?

I ask this because Steve Rogers started as the penultimate hero in comics, was rendered a mischief maker in Civil War 2006, then killed and ‘Reborn’. In Heroic Age he became a mere administrator, as well as in ANAD, till he was inverted by Kobik, and later popped out of a Cosmic Cube all hale and holy again.

But what I see now of Steve Rogers doesn’t inspire me with any real spirit of heroism. Today, Steve Rogers seems a broken man, seeking approval before he can return to his mission confident and unhindered.

What do you say? Is Steve lacking without the friendship of old Nick Fury, or Bucky, or Sam Wilson?

Incredible Member

He still had the friendship of Bucky and Sam.

He's still undergoing his heroic mission and does not seem like a broken man seeking approval. His superhero peers have largely accepted the events of Secret Empire were not his fault as have the public in the Marvel Universe at large. The sticking point is the US Government who don't really trust him which puts him in the same situation as most Captain America runs. Steve Rogers being at odds with US government and holding on to what he believes are America's higher ideals has been done so often it's part of the character's makeup and depends on the writer's execution whether it still works. Also he doesn't seem to have lost confidence or hindered by this. Avengers #700 he practically told Thunderbolt Ross that if he messed with him he'd regret it.
    Last edited by Orbus; 01-08-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    . . . But what I see now of Steve Rogers doesn’t inspire me with any real spirit of heroism. Today, Steve Rogers seems a broken man, seeking approval before he can return to his mission confident and unhindered.
    That's not necessarily a sign of a "broken" character.
    I think it may just as easily be more a case of writers not rising to the proper occasion with the character.

I think he is a man with a mission more than ever. He did not have Bucky for most of his modern marvel run. Sam ebbed and flowed as a partner. Tony and various avenger have been more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    He still had the friendship of Bucky and Sam.

He's still undergoing his heroic mission and does not seem like a broken man seeking approval. His superhero peers have largely accepted the events of Secret Empire were not his fault as have the public in the Marvel Universe at large. The sticking point is the US Government who don't really trust him which puts him in the same situation as most Captain America runs. Steve Rogers being at odds with US government and holding on to what he believes are America's higher ideals has been done so often it's part of the character's makeup and depends on the writer's execution whether it still works. Also he doesn't seem to have lost confidence or hindered by this. Avengers #700 he practically told Thunderbolt Ross that if he messed with him he'd regret it.
    But I think Steve Rogers himself floats around without links to some form of SHIELD anymore, and trying to find out if America still loves him after Secret Empire.

I remember when Cap first appeared in Avengers #4 he barked orders at a stranger in Rick Jones, and in Avengers #6, someone commented how easily he concocts a plan in front of more experienced senior Avengers, and how lucky the Avengers were.

I don’t think Steve Rogers can feel he can do this today?

Bucky hasn’t come along to team up with Steve since SE, and, Sam Wilson is avoiding him like the plague. These are, all 3 of them, Captain America, and Steve Rogers fumbles around getting nowhere. It does feel like the time Cap was the Nomad, except he hasn’t disowned the government, and changed his costume. Now, the government won’t trust him after SE.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That's not necessarily a sign of a "broken" character.
    I think it may just as easily be more a case of writers not rising to the proper occasion with the character.
    That’s being very kind to suggest it’s merely writing issues. You’d think after Secret Empire, writers would be clammering to do a triumphant Captain America as a counter-balance to the negativity of Hydra Cap? But they let him languish in a self-conscious introspection.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I think he is a man with a mission more than ever. He did not have Bucky for most of his modern marvel run. Sam ebbed and flowed as a partner. Tony and various avenger have been more consistent.
    What kind of mission do you think Steve Rogers is on now?

To be honest, I kinda would like to see a more broken Steve. The events of Secret Empire have been so easily forgotten and forgiven that he really has not had a hard time, from what I have read. I mean yeah, it was not his fault but the people of the Marvel Universe are idiots, and I would have liked Cap to have had an introspective look at things.

Doing big triumphant Captain America wouldn't be good for new stories. Waid's new run with Samnee was supposed to get that all out of the way. The environment where his image is tarnished and he's disliked is the good one for new stories, so they're right for going with that.

Steve is still working with Bucky in the Cap book and Spencer's run ends with Sam doing the ultimate bro-move for Steve. They're all cool with each other.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post

Bucky hasn’t come along to team up with Steve since SE, and, Sam Wilson is avoiding him like the plague. These are, all 3 of them, Captain America, and Steve Rogers fumbles around getting nowhere. It does feel like the time Cap was the Nomad, except he hasn’t disowned the government, and changed his costume. Now, the government won’t trust him after SE.
    Bucky was working with Steve in early issues of the current Cap run to take down a Nuke. They appear to be on working terms AT THE LEAST. But seeing as how Bucky saw first hand how Kobik rewrote history, I don't see him having any issues with Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Doing big triumphant Captain America wouldn't be good for new stories. Waid's new run with Samnee was supposed to get that all out of the way.
    But Waid only gave us three issues where Steve was doing his journey across America to re-establish his reputation before they stuck him in an iceberg again, right?
    (I gave up on the series after the issue with Kraven.)

I wish they would get Steve back out of the pirate boots. I know Steve original outfit has it's many fans so I'm not knocking his history....BUT the MCU has really given us both a good WWII rendition and a current uniform. Not saying the comics have to mirror it exactly...but I'd love the look to be closer to that. Heck even the cartoon Cap is looking better than he is now.

But Waid only gave us three issues where Steve was doing his journey across America to re-establish his reputation before they stuck him in an iceberg again, right?
    Waid's entire run about him saving the future of America or whatever is all the uninteresting slobber I about how great and cool Captain America we need. Not that I disliked Waid's new run, it just reeks of coddling for Stevil h8as, even though I know the creative team was really genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by ArsonoptiX View Post
    I wish they would get Steve back out of the pirate boots. I know Steve original outfit has it's many fans so I'm not knocking his history....BUT the MCU has really given us both a good WWII rendition and a current uniform. Not saying the comics have to mirror it exactly...but I'd love the look to be closer to that. Heck even the cartoon Cap is looking better than he is now.
    My argument for the classic Kirby costume is that, as the kind of go to leader for the MU but the man out of its time, the original suit is a good way to keep him always recognizable as a symbol while always reminding you of his roots. The NOW! suit's bulk and moderness made him stand out less. The only other character who should always be in their classic suit is Spider-Man, because it's too iconic and no one can figure out how to improve what's already perfect anyway.

Also, we deserve real head wings. They didn't give Stevil's Cap suit head wings to hint at him being Stevil.

Yeah. It wasn't great.