Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's also in-character.

It's part of her character that her love for Joker is completely insane and irrational (hence, "Mad Love"). Even when she hates him, she still kind of loves and obsesses over him.

I think we're at a point where she's as likely to be paired with Joker as she is to be on her own.

It probably just depends on the property and what they're trying to do, so we can get Batman Ninja where she's Joker's Harley Quinn or DCSHG where she'll be an independent villain without Joker.
    Oh, I definitely think we'll always see Harley and the Joker together in some fashion, somewhere. That's her origin after all, and the biggest, most important part of her history. That'll always show up in movies or cartoons or elseworlds or whatever. But in main canon, I think, *maybe* she's past that phase. As long as she remains popular enough for a solo, anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Jason was beaten up by Batman and driven out of Gotham even when the person he "killed" survived. Even then there are different camps on how he should be depicted. As a member of the family who's gone through redemption, or as out and proud anti hero or anti villain estranged from the family.

Batwoman went through a Batfam trial and was driven out of Gotham as well. Of course, they can't do a real trial because that would mean exposing her secret identity and dragged the other family secrets too.

Damian was the only one who wasn't kicked out but he was also ten years old. That was the last time he killed.

I'm aware of Detective Riddler and Harvey taking over for Batman during One Year Later. The Harley I'm aware of from Post Crisis was from Gotham City Sirens and if I'm not mistaken when Harley's with Ivy she's stronger against Joker.

I think most people who read comics know that the bomb in video games was out of character, but if they only saw that version and don't read comics, they won't know.

In a lot of comics is the keyword. The higher you go, the more scrutiny you'll get.

Jason's most popular story is when he's still committing murder following his return, no one is doubting that version is a villain or anti-villain, so he won't get as much scrutiny as Harley running free.

Also, as you said, people aren't aware her redemption story happened before, so for all people know she's suddenly treated special, and everywhere.
    Attempted murder is still worthy of a lengthy prison sentence

Jason was running around causing mayhem in gotham as a villain and then even when he did his face turn he was still killing people
    Damian has been a pretty bad seed and is constantly shown to not grow into a sane adult because of how violent he is
    Batwoman is further proof that only certain people get held to Bruce's standard and others are allowed to do whatever they want

Harley for that matter is on the suicide squad
    Any time someone wants to stop her from committing a crime there's a bomb in her head to do that
    The only difference between Harley running around free and someone like Jason imo is that Jason was never locked up for any of his crimes to begin with
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 01-15-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    With more consistency. Don’t have her be this likable lighthearted trouble maker while at the same time have her filling schools with severed heads. Fine a line and stick to it.
    Consistency is the most important thing. Not just tone but powers, abilities, and character.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Attempted murder is still worthy of a lengthy prison sentence

Jason was running around causing mayhem in gotham as a villain and then even when he did his face turn he was still killing people
    Damian has been a pretty bad seed and is constantly shown to not grow into a sane adult because of how violent he is
    Batwoman is further proof that only certain people get held to Bruce's standard and others are allowed to do whatever they want

Harley for that matter is on the suicide squad
    Any time someone wants to stop her from committing a crime there's a bomb in her head to do that
    The only difference between Harley running around free and someone like Jason imo is that Jason was never locked up for any of his crimes to begin with
    You know, I'm a little rusty, have Jason, Damien, or even Kate killed anyone who wasn't a criminal?

Not off the top of my head, no.

Jason very well might have shortly after his return, when he was doing the whole "semi-villain" thing, but it's been a while and I don't remember for certain.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Have her star in an all ages series that doesn't heavily rely on mainstream continuity to much, but still resides in it.

Harley Quinn as a character who works best when she is fairly milquetoast and not portrayed gratuitously

Also give her a costume that is a combination of her classic BTAS apparel and her more contemporary look.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 01-17-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    You know, I'm a little rusty, have Jason, Damien, or even Kate killed anyone who wasn't a criminal?
    Morrison had him kill some security guards in his run. That was pre-flashpoint and I don't know if that's still canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Also give her a costume that is a combination of her classic BTAS apparel and her more contemporary look.
    Yknow, as much as I do want to see the classic costume show up now and then, I've come to really appreciate Harley's non-costume theme. It's marketing and merchandising genius, and with the color scheme and diamond motif remaining consistent she actually pulls off having a "theme" instead of a "costume" rather well. And it helps set her apart; she's always in something different yet there's never any problem recognizing who she is. I think it works well.

I actually wish more DC characters would follow this route a little bit. I don't need everyone going as far as Harley, but I wouldn't mind seeing heroes cycle through their costumes occasionally. I mean, is there any real reason why Superman can't wake up in the morning and put on his Reborn suit, and the next morning wear his classic one, and then maybe spend a day "on the ground" in the t-shirt? Used sparingly I think that would be fine, yknow?

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yknow, as much as I do want to see the classic costume show up now and then, I've come to really appreciate Harley's non-costume theme. It's marketing and merchandising genius, and with the color scheme and diamond motif remaining consistent she actually pulls off having a "theme" instead of a "costume" rather well. And it helps set her apart; she's always in something different yet there's never any problem recognizing who she is. I think it works well.

I actually wish more DC characters would follow this route a little bit. I don't need everyone going as far as Harley, but I wouldn't mind seeing heroes cycle through their costumes occasionally. I mean, is there any real reason why Superman can't wake up in the morning and put on his Reborn suit, and the next morning wear his classic one, and then maybe spend a day "on the ground" in the t-shirt? Used sparingly I think that would be fine, yknow?
    I think this idea of a theme instead of a costume only really works for more modern characters. To me losing the costume for a hero is lazy and kinda boring. Give me Alan Scott's strange pirate-like costume with a massive cape over jeans and a t-shirt any day. It feels like moving away from what superheroes represent visually.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I think this idea of a theme instead of a costume only really works for more modern characters. To me losing the costume for a hero is lazy and kinda boring. Give me Alan Scott's strange pirate-like costume with a massive cape over jeans and a t-shirt any day. It feels like moving away from what superheroes represent visually.
    Which is why I just want to see the occasional rotation of a costume, instead of abandoning costumes completely.

I think it works for Harley (and she's not a hero anyway), but I can't see the JSA doing that, and with other heroes I wouldn't want to see it taken any further than the occasional rotation of a costume.

Oh, except Black Canary. Her DCYOU series had her doing, basically, the same thing as Harley is and that worked. Not like she wears a costume anyway, just biker gear.

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

As for writers and artists to handle the Harley Quinn solo, I would pick a writer who is very competent and talented, albeit safe and reserved* and an artist who, while very mainstream and accessible differs from the conventional "house art" of the big two**

*perhaps Paul Dini, or Mike Baron

** the artists I had in mind were Jill Thompson, Erica Henderson, or Fiona Staples.

does anyone think harley quinn redeemed herself?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knight27 View Post
    I don't think she has.Her 'redemption' is basically writers using the LOL crazy and random card to justify her crimes

If DC went out and did a story that focused on her redemption then I wouldn't be so bothered by her showing up everywhere and being around heroes.

No, certainly not. Nor, do I think, does she really want redemption. What she has done, and I think what the character wanted to do, was establish her own life beyond Joker's shadow and influence and live her own life. It's still full of violence and murder, though, and she's still insane. And she's still a criminal; her motives might be more noble than they used to be, but it's often just about who pissed her off too. And her "noble" motives don't really amount to much. She's killed plenty of people who are worse than she is in her solo, but her body count still includes innocent people who got caught in the crossfire and often, her "noble" motives are thin. Killing someone just because she thinks they might be abusing a dog is more "noble" than murdering random people just to piss off the Bat, but still without evidence, due process, or anything more than her suspicion, which is pretty damn far from heroic or redeemed.

~ Black Panther.