Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Liked this issue, but she is clearly not Tony Stark: she is a genius, but she is not an entrepreneur. She antagonizes powerful people and employers for no good reasons and endanger her works because she lacks social skills. She is not a billionaire, she needs backers to fund her work.
    Actually Stark antagonizes powerful people all the time. He antagonizes SHIELD and the government by refusing to give them his best inventions. He antagonizes the board of directors by refusing to go back into the arms business. It's often really clear that Stark is only rich because his inventions are so good that even the money from his minor, safest inventions can financially power his company to an insane degree that more than compensates for how often he pisses people off.

It's a pity that the black genius at Marvel always fall in the trope of the "angry black woman" when the white genius are socially adjusted: Nadia Pym is friend with everyone, create an enterprise like GIRL, Valeria Richards is the leader of the Future Fondation, but Moon Girl or Iron Heart can't make friends, antagonize everyone and lack any skill on social engineering.
    What on earth are you talking about? She wasn't any angrier than any of the white super-genius types are when someone barges into their laboratories. If anything, she was calmer than Stark would usually be. Stark is not the type to gladly suffer fools, at all, whatsoever.

Ultimate Member

Liked this issue, but she is clearly not Tony Stark: she is a genius, but she is not an entrepreneur. She antagonizes powerful people and employers for no good reasons and endanger her works because she lacks social skills. She is not a billionaire, she needs backers to fund her work.

It's a pity that the black genius at Marvel always fall in the trope of the "angry black woman" when the white genius are socially adjusted: Nadia Pym is friend with everyone, create an enterprise like GIRL, Valeria Richards is the leader of the Future Fondation, but Moon Girl or Iron Heart can't make friends, antagonize everyone and lack any skill on social engineering.
    Because in the real world the black kid who can't make friends, antagonize everyone, lack social skills and/or is ultra nerdy or deem super smart has always been a black male.

Think about it-off the top of your head how many black nerds can you name who are male? Urkel, Cameron (Total Drama Island), Ethan (Power rangers Dino Thunder-done by Cameron's voice actor), Static (comic version more than the tv one), Jordan (Bernie Mac), Huey (Boondocks), Donald Glover on Community & various black males on other shows.

RARELY is it a girl in the story. So while it happens-that story rarely gets told.

Riri just wants to create. However unlike Moon Girl-who has her own Dexter Lab for unknown reasons-Riri needs funding. Her situation is more realistic-she wants the freedom but her to answer to someone and doesn't like it.

It's kind of been the same case in Miles' book as well since the relaunch.
    Bendis did the job of just telling a STORY. What Eve & Saladin are doing is bringing in the little details of private life that makes a fuller character.

Who would think to draw Miles with waves in his hair? Who would think to show Riri getting help at school in that flashback.

While a certain entitlement group HATES that because it's making POC look HUMAN-it's those details that attract others.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Val is a snark machine and Nadia's cinnamon bun-ness works because it's against type. She shouldn't be well-adjusted (and isn't really, she's actually far too idealistic). But I actually find Lunella's coldness endearing for such a young character and Riri's actual character flaws interesting. After all, we have a whole series to deal with them now.
    Nadia's cheeriness will surely break when she finds out the truth about Hank. She does have another trait. She's a workaholic (remember, she does solo superheroics, the Champions, and her science thinktank - and the only reason she's not still an Avenger as well is because her team disbanded!). Not unlike Riri, actually!

One big difference between the two is that Riri is very reclusive, unlike Nadia, who quickly found some like-minded friends. Riri didn't have any proper friends until she was brought into the Champions (and it took them several attempts to recruit her). In fact, when Bendis was still writing her, Riri had four offers on the table. MIT, the Champions, Leonardo da Vinci's SHIELD (which Miles Morales had also been offered a role in), and Stark Industries. She still hadn't made her choice when his run ended, but then Amadeus Cho succeeded in persuading her to join the Champions, and she accepted the MIT offer as well. Her relationship with Tony was an apparent casualty of the changeover to Stark Unlimited - maybe he was annoyed about the Tony AI's deletion (presumably when the Ironheart 2.0 armor was destroyed)? She had a generic AI with her 3.0 armor until it evolved the NATALIE persona.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Is that a dove? Is Ewing doing some foreshadowing of John Woo action?

Astonishing Member

Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post

Is that a dove? Is Ewing doing some foreshadowing of John Woo action?
    Why is her helmet in her backpack? It wouldn't need to be, considering she keeps her armor compressed into a gauntlet.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Why is her helmet in her backpack? It wouldn't need to be, considering she keeps her armor compressed into a gauntlet.
    It's a cover. It isn't necessarily a scene that will actually be in the comic. The image is likely intended to both display to the reader glancing at the cover what she's about. And it doubles as an Easter Egg evoking old school Iron Man carrying his armor in a suitcase.

I’m reading issue #2 now- does everyone know riri is ironheart, or does she not really care about her secret identity?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Actually Stark antagonizes powerful people all the time. He antagonizes SHIELD and the government by refusing to give them his best inventions. He antagonizes the board of directors by refusing to go back into the arms business. It's often really clear that Stark is only rich because his inventions are so good that even the money from his minor, safest inventions can financially power his company to an insane degree that more than compensates for how often he pisses people off.
    This is so true it's not even funny.

This is beautiful news.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

I enjoyed #2, but you can't just end #1 on the massive cliffhanger and not explore the AI jeez

You know, i’ve been through a lot this past month, so when i got issue 2 , i wondered what took it so long to get here. Completely forgot there was a cliffhanger
    Last edited by protege; 01-23-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I’m reading issue #2 now- does everyone know riri is ironheart, or does she not really care about her secret identity?
    She never bothered with a secret identity.

I'm glad to see the first two issues being well received. I'm definitely going to be picking up this series. I like Riri and think she has a ton of potential.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

Glass is an amorphous solid, not a liquid. Should've used the pitch drop experiment to get the point across-- Even has the blink and miss it aspect since so many times the drop has been missed lol

But besides that, enjoyable issue. I still wish they'd explore what the deal with natalie was. It feels like it was a shocking reveal and they haven't fleshed it out yet.

Riri/Xavier interactions were fun.