Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i'm including Carlie in the mystery. they've both had that goblin blood in them.
    Unless you're thinking about Norah's relationship with Phil Urich . . . I'm not sure how to contextualize the whole "goblin blood" thing. That said, I did enjoy this issue for, as stillanerd and Von have brought up, the excellent character development on J. Jonah Jameson's end.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Unless you're thinking about Norah's relationship with Phil Urich . . . I'm not sure how to contextualize the whole "goblin blood" thing. That said, I did enjoy this issue for, as stillanerd and Von have brought up, the excellent character development on J. Jonah Jameson's end.
    Ha! Good point. I was thinking of Norah's experience with Norman and Phil.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Ha! Good point. I was thinking of Norah's experience with Norman and Phil.
    Ah, yes, although I don't think Norman ever got the opportunity to inject her with Goblin formula like he did Carlie. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Ah, yes, although I don't think Norman ever got the opportunity to inject her with Goblin formula like he did Carlie. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.
    Yeah you're right, Norah never got that close to Phil that he was able to make her become full on Goblin.

Astonishing Member

really? you don't think that Black Cat and Puma could be considered villains? they have been in and out of Spidey's rogues gallery. and it's not like Taskmaster captured Black Ant. shouldn't he count?
    Black Ant maybe has the topic of an ant, but he's essentially just a machine (a LMD). In all case, they should capture either Hank Pym or Scott Lang. And although Black and Puma started as villains, they eventually reformed. (I don't count the time of Black Cat as "Queenpin" because that was a stupid consequence of the original "Superior Spider-Junk", which it should have never happened like that).

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Black Ant maybe has the topic of an ant, but he's essentially just a machine (a LMD). In all case, they should capture either Hank Pym or Scott Lang. And although Black and Puma started as villains, they eventually reformed. (I don't count the time of Black Cat as "Queenpin" because that was a stupid consequence of the original "Superior Spider-Junk", which it should have never happened like that).
    she's a professional thief. and, technically, all humans are "machines." he's very clearly ant-themed. he described himself as goth ant-man at one point. i don't really see a distinction between that and Beetle. but that's just my personal take on it.

BANNED

Another great issue. This one makes me realize how much I miss the small editor notes that would reference the back issue something happened in, like Foswell's daughter. I guess they figure everyone just Google's it now.

Great character development for Jonah and really nice issue. This is such a thrilling run.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

One of the things I'm loving in this run, and maybe it's silly, is that Spidey is portrayed as a competent, powerful super hero. With some nice feats like the one in this issue (throwing Big Man robot away!).

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Nice review. Spencer is doing a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    One of the things I'm loving in this run, and maybe it's silly, is that Spidey is portrayed as a competent, powerful super hero. With some nice feats like the one in this issue (throwing Big Man robot away!).
    This is not silly at all. This is how Spidey should be written, and not as a bumbling fool who is unable to achieve victory on his own (looking at you Spider-man show). Even as Peter, he's not a manchild, he's a mature human being, one who can make mistakes but who is still intelligent and responsible.

I like this take on Peter really much. Between ASM and Ps4 Peter, we are lucky!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    This is not silly at all. This is how Spidey should be written, and not as a bumbling fool who is unable to achieve victory on his own (looking at you Spider-man show). Even as Peter, he's not a manchild, he's a mature human being, one who can make mistakes but who is still intelligent and responsible.

I like this take on Peter really much. Between ASM and Ps4 Peter, we are lucky!
    Second all this. Check out Chip Zdarksky's Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man too.

I am absolutely loving Spencer on this title and this was a solid arc with some great Jonah moments and character development but allow me to just voice a wee bit of displeasure at a few moments within this issue:

*The Scorpion being dispatched and captured that quickly and easily, even by Taskmaster, is a bit hard to swallow. The guy is a powerhouse; you wanna tell me he was taken completely by surprise? Eh, ok but I suppose we have to believe the same for Stegron and, soon, the Lizard and Rhino which is a lot to ask of our suspension of disbelief.

*I enjoyed the whole JJJ arc and the new Big Man was a great surprise and a good motivation but I just thought that it was way too similar to the giant human-controlled robot story that we just saw last year in Zdarsky's PP:SSM story with the Tinkerer. It just took me out of the story because that reveal was so fresh in my mind.

Neither of these things ruined the story for me but it took it down a notch for me; I fully expect Hunted to kick ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Great character development for Jonah and really nice issue. This is such a thrilling run.
    Yeah, i have to admit, i’m enjoying spidey’s new relationship with jjj- kind of wish i still had the issue where peter revealed his identity to him. Very rarely do you get to see characters like this realize and try to atone for their past mistakes. One thing though- when jjj was telling the kingpin how spider man would be there at the end to see him fall, it rang sort of hollow to me, considering the kingpin is now daredevil’s arch nemesis, rather than spidey.
    Last edited by protege; 01-23-2019 at 05:46 PM.

This run amazing so far, i never thought Spencer would be the guy that would make me read Spider-Man again, but he has done it.
    Congratulations!
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona