Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Astonishing X-Men- Scott Lobdell and Joe Madureira

17 26.56%
  • Amazing X-Men- Fabian Nicieza and Andy Kubert

12 18.75%
  • Factor X- John Francis Moore, Steve Epting, and Terry Dodson

3 4.69%
  • Gambit and the X-Ternals- Fabian Nicieza, Tony Daniel , and Salvador Larocca

19 29.69%
  • Generation Next- Scott Lobdell and Chris Bachalo

27 42.19%
  • Weapon X- Larry Hama and Adam Kubert

2 3.13%
  • X-Calibre- Warren Ellis and Ken Lashley

7 10.94%
  • X-Man- Jeph Loeb and Steve Skroce

2 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Generation Next was far and away the best of that group. Art and story were on point. I didn't really like the other ones nearly as much. I just read X-Man's recently for the first time and am scratching my head wondering how he ended up getting a 75 issue run outta that(a traveling theater troupe of Forge, Sauron, Brute, Toad, and Mastermind)? Uh, okay....
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Generation Next.

The image of Husk realizing she was being left behind was gut-wrenching.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Generation Next.

The image of Husk realizing she was being left behind was gut-wrenching.
    Yeah. Colossus dipping with Illyana, leaving all the kids behind, just brutal.

In terms of editing a large line of books to tell one big story, AOA is fairly successful across the board. X-Men Alpha sets up the situation in AOA as a result of the previous lead up with Legion and the M'Krann crystal. Basically each book covers in 4 issues one aspect of the big plan. X-Men Omega wraps it all together. But some are just less well executed, or at least not as impactful. In Gen NeXt, we had a revision of the new kids just a few issues into their original existence, so this alternate reality really lets us see a new take on kids we are just meeting in 616 anyways. Then to see all that potential just evaporate in that hellhole. Wow. I was a kid when this came out, it was shocking.

Generation Next, without question. It was a visual treat and very powerful.

I thought the whole AoA package was really good and I even bought titles featuring characters I loathe e.g. Gambit.

I never read Generation Next during the event itself, only a loooong time later. I'm glad I read it as an adult because that darkness would have really screwed with me as a teenager who was looking for more hopeful stories. Colossus and his Illyana fixation was disturbing, and the sacrifice of everyone to save her coupled with his cowardice was a gut punch. I much prefer the opposite: Factor-X where someone raised to be elite and superior risked everything to save even the lowliest prisoner... and [almost] did through teamwork and trust. Dark isn't my thing sometimes.

Edit: But that early hyper-lined Bachalo art on Generation Next, though! Gorgeous!

Also... Northstar and Aurora as vicious genetic Fascists? Bless you, Factor-X.
    Last edited by nx01a; 01-11-2019 at 11:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Edit: But that early hyper-lined Bachalo art on Generation Next, though! Gorgeous!
    Bachelo was at his peak here. Between Gen Next and early Gen X, he really laid down some good stuff. I don't know why he changed his style later(his superdeformed period circa M-twins reveal is just crap, and he basically has never recovered since). He occasionally still has some interesting layouts, but overall I don't like his work anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Bachelo was at his peak here. Between Gen Next and early Gen X, he really laid down some good stuff. I don't know why he changed his style later(his superdeformed period circa M-twins reveal is just crap, and he basically has never recovered since). He occasionally still has some interesting layouts, but overall I don't like his work anymore.
    Sad but true. Mark Buckingham does a better Bachalo than Bachalo.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I voted Astonishing for the Joe Mad art, Blink, Rogue, and "good" Sabertooth. But if I'd noticed the "multiple choice", I'd have also said Gen Next.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The crazy thing is that really there was not a bad mini out of the bunch. To see a huge event like that and have so many mini series that were all at least good if not flat out great is amazing. I would say Gambit and Externals is the weakest tie in, but even that is not bad by any stretch.

I don't know about that....

I guess compared to some of the stuff that passes for comics these days they were all... adequate. But honestly Gen NeXt was wayyyy better than the others. I didn't really like any of the others very much. Mad's art was okay, I was never that into it, but I didn't think Sabes and Blink were that interesting. And the logistics of Magneto/Rogue's relationship in a timeline without Magneto being deaged by the Stranger just doesn't work. Dazzler and Iceman's increased powers were okay, but beyond that Amazing was a wash. Factor X, Gambit, and Nightcrawler's books were boring. Weapon X was cool for giving Gateway a voice, but overall a waste.

While AOA was basically well constructed as a line, it wasn't that good of a story. I never understood why Apocalypse had only taken over North America, or how nukes should be a threat to a country of mutants.

I really loved the original AOA and all the series the designs were great as for the series.

But Astonishing and Amazing win for me simply because they had great and interesting line ups different than being offered at the time.

All-New Member

Generation Next was brilliant. The darkest of a dark bunch, I loved how grim it was. And Bachalo’s art was just wonderful. Although my favourite moment was Blink vs Holocaust

Generation Next because....

Vincente!!!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Hated it all then. Hate it all now. But I guess X-Calibre sucked the least... maybe.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I only read the Weapon X mini so.... that one i guest. Is pretty fun. Kubert artwork is definetly the best part and i did like Gateway.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona