View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the way James Tynion IV writes WW in JLD?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • ***** 5 stars. Excellent! In character and power some of the best WW writing I've read.

    7 53.85%
  • **** 4 Stars. Very good. A few tweaks and it would be perfect.

    4 30.77%
  • *** 3 Stars. I like it. She pulls her weight and I'm okay with her character.

    2 15.38%
  • ** 2 stars. Poor. Her character or her use in the story leaves me feeling let down.

    0 0%
  • * 1 Star. Awful. She doesn't act or sound right and is a lame duck for getting things done.

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,295

    Default Justice League Dark's Wonder Woman - OUTSTANDING! [spoilers up to issue 12]

    I've actually been surprised that more has not been said about JLD on this forum, considering how prominent a role Diana has had in the title.

    Not only was Wonder Woman a central figure in the Witching Hour crossover storyline, but in Issue 12 we also find that she was the prime mover behind the formation of the JLD.

    But it gets even better. While Batman is fearful of the League getting involved in the world of magic because of the terrible power involved, enough to basically reconfigure reality, Diana insists on the need. Rather than shying away in fear of the dark [yeah, ironic], she sees the need to confront it. "There's a touch of magic to ALL of us. To pretend there isn't... to stay afraid of the bad things in the dark... It feels WRONG."

    Wonder Woman boldly goes where Batman fears to tread.

    In issue 12, the very nature of magic are being rewritten. Having been broken down and stripped bare, the heroes need someone to wield the power that will restructure it into something better. Zatanna says it can't be her. They need someone who believes in what the world can be and can wield that much might "That much wonder...".

    You probably see where this is going.

    I've been very vocal about how disappointed I've been of stories in Wonder Woman's own title lately when it comes to supporting characters taking the limelight when it comes time to solve the latest crisis. So me let me just say I was FIST-PUMPING when everyone backs Diana to be the one to step up.

    And that is just this issue. It's an ensemble cast and Diana has to share, but when she shines she SHINES BRIGHT! Writer James Tynion really seems to GET Wonder Woman. No excuses about finding her voice required, he just dives in and really nails right off the bat who Diana is.

    Plus - the book is just a FABULOUS read. Wonderful plotting and character development, excellent pacing, and the art is just beautiful! When you read an issue you really feel like you got your money's worth.

    I give this book 5/5 for Wonder Woman writing. If you haven't been getting it, I would personally recommend picking it up.

    Other thoughts?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  2. #2
    They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    639

    Default

    I will admit I was pleasantly surprised. I was not fond of Wonder Woman's appearing in a book called 'Justice League Dark', or having her hobnobbing with John Constantine. Constantine's presence in the DC superhero universe is one of the many things wrong with the world today. I did pick up a few issues with very low expectations and was drawn in.
    This message has been placed here
    IN MEMORIAM
    by the Tijuana Bible Society.

  3. #3
    Incredible Member MarquisAsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    700

    Default

    I’ve been picking up the book since the very beginning! I’ve been enjoying his WW! And I love the relationship he’s building with her and Zatanna!! And I love where he’s taking Circe! And letting her form her own injustice league dark.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I will admit I was pleasantly surprised. I was not fond of Wonder Woman's appearing in a book called 'Justice League Dark', or having her hobnobbing with John Constantine. Constantine's presence in the DC superhero universe is one of the many things wrong with the world today. I did pick up a few issues with very low expectations and was drawn in.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I’ve been picking up the book since the very beginning! I’ve been enjoying his WW! And I love the relationship he’s building with her and Zatanna!! And I love where he’s taking Circe! And letting her form her own injustice league dark.
    I enjoy how much story they put into an issue. I don’t finish reading in 5 minutes and feel like mouthing really went on.

    And yes, enjoying the relationship building between Z and D. They have so much in common but do much that’s different that it makes for a very interesting dynamic.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    I have to admit that I almost didn't pick up Justice League Dark as besides Wonder Woman and Zatanna, none of the other members are a huge draw for me but I'm really glad I changed my mind. The book has exceeded all of my expectations. The characterization of Diana is great, the pacing is near perfect, and I've loved the villains and all of the guest-stars. My only real complain is I wish Diana would ditch that black cloak. It contrasts with the rest of her costume.
    Currently Reading:Batman & The Outsiders, Doomsday Clock, Female Furies, Freedom Fighters, Hawkman, Heroes in Crisis, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Shazam, Wonder Twins, Wonder Woman, & Young Justice.

  6. #6
    Incredible Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    755

    Default

    I have a question: Is JLD a grittier, more violent, more morally ambiguous or "darker" title? I never looked at Justice League Dark because I don't like "dark" stories, and just assumed that's what it was when I initially heard of it. Later I saw that it was magic-based. I'm not really into magic, either, but don't actively dislike it the way I do darker stories. Still didn't really have any incentive to pick it up, though. Anyway, I wanted to get a rundown on tone of comic.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    It’s really good and Tynion’s Diana is probably the best depiction of her voice, attitude, intelligence, and leadership prowess right now.

    His version of Circe builds on Rucka’s reintroduction of her and she’s really interesting and nuanced - just like his handling of Diana.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,298

    Default

    Yeah it’s been wonderful, the best WW title out right now imo. Diana is a leader, she insists on getting involved in what’s going down with the Otherkind, and she’s had a ton of great moments. Definitely my favorite JL Dark team. Circe has been great too, she’s been helpful at times, but only ever in her own self-interest and I am extremely excited for the showdown between Diana and Circe’s that’s coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I have a question: Is JLD a grittier, more violent, more morally ambiguous or "darker" title? I never looked at Justice League Dark because I don't like "dark" stories, and just assumed that's what it was when I initially heard of it. Later I saw that it was magic-based. I'm not really into magic, either, but don't actively dislike it the way I do darker stories. Still didn't really have any incentive to pick it up, though. Anyway, I wanted to get a rundown on tone of comic.
    Have you ever read Alan Moore’s Saga of the Swamp Thing? If you haven’t you should it’s one of the best comic runs ever period. That’s the type of tone it’s going for, it’s not edgy at all I’d say. The title has a very horror-esque tone, it’s about Diana putting together a team to deal with Eldritch abominations attempting to cross over into our world. There’s some pretty nasty body horror scenes when the Otherkind try to cross over but otherwise it’s been fine. As for “morally ambiguous”, Diana and her team are not morally ambiguous, but this is a comic with John Constantine in it, and the members of the DC Mystic community not on Diana’s team can definitely be in the gray.

  9. #9
    Incredible Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah it’s been wonderful, the best WW title out right now imo. Diana is a leader, she insists on getting involved in what’s going down with the Otherkind, and she’s had a ton of great moments. Definitely my favorite JL Dark team. Circe has been great too, she’s been helpful at times, but only ever in her own self-interest and I am extremely excited for the showdown between Diana and Circe’s that’s coming.

    Have you ever read Alan Moore’s Saga of the Swamp Thing? If you haven’t you should it’s one of the best comic runs ever period. That’s the type of tone it’s going for, it’s not edgy at all I’d say. The title has a very horror-esque tone, it’s about Diana putting together a team to deal with Eldritch abominations attempting to cross over into our world. There’s some pretty nasty body horror scenes when the Otherkind try to cross over but otherwise it’s been fine. As for “morally ambiguous”, Diana and her team are not morally ambiguous, but this is a comic with John Constantine in it, and the members of the DC Mystic community not on Diana’s team can definitely be in the gray.
    No, I've never read Swamp Thing, hearing more than once that it's dark in tone (as a compliment). I don't care for horror, so that solidifies my decision.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I have a question: Is JLD a grittier, more violent, more morally ambiguous or "darker" title? I never looked at Justice League Dark because I don't like "dark" stories, and just assumed that's what it was when I initially heard of it. Later I saw that it was magic-based. I'm not really into magic, either, but don't actively dislike it the way I do darker stories. Still didn't really have any incentive to pick it up, though. Anyway, I wanted to get a rundown on tone of comic.
    Depends. I wouldn't say it is any of those. But at the same tone, the tone is markedly different from regular superhero comics. Several stories end with the heroes eking out a draw. Graphically it's a lot more explicit. Thematically it goes into some heavy stuff, especially with the whole Witching Hour arc, but at the same time morality is still rather clear—it's rather that the characters realise that their initial assumptions often are wrong. In some of the shorter stuff, victory for the heroes means survival.

    But compared to say Snyder's Batman The Last Knight on Earth mini-series, it's far less forbidding and carries a lot more hope.

    If you want to dip your waters into this, try #7. It's an old-school comic horror anthology format, one of the best issues in the run, and about as bad as it gets in the series.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  11. #11
    Incredible Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    755

    Default

    Depends. I wouldn't say it is any of those. But at the same tone, the tone is markedly different from regular superhero comics. Several stories end with the heroes eking out a draw. Graphically it's a lot more explicit. Thematically it goes into some heavy stuff, especially with the whole Witching Hour arc, but at the same time morality is still rather clear—it's rather that the characters realise that their initial assumptions often are wrong. In some of the shorter stuff, victory for the heroes means survival.
    I don't mind heavy themes, but the explicit graphics and fewer heroic victories (very common in horror genre) aren't to my taste. From what everyone says, it sounds like a well-done comic, but just not my genre of choice.

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I have a question: Is JLD a grittier, more violent, more morally ambiguous or "darker" title? I never looked at Justice League Dark because I don't like "dark" stories, and just assumed that's what it was when I initially heard of it. Later I saw that it was magic-based. I'm not really into magic, either, but don't actively dislike it the way I do darker stories. Still didn't really have any incentive to pick it up, though. Anyway, I wanted to get a rundown on tone of comic.
    I’m not sure it’s any of those things when you see what regularly goes on in the other League titles. I guess there is a bit more blood, but certainly the moral ambiguity is mo more or less.

    The title “Dark” doesn’t necessarily meN the stories are darker. It’s more a reference to the fact they are dealing with the tings that lurk in the dark - the shadowy world of magic. Constantine of course is often morally grey, but in this title no more so than a lot of a character I’ve seen in the League over the years.

    Certainly Diana remains steadfast in her quest to remain pure, though it’s also a part of the story that characters motivations are tested.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  13. #13
    Spectacular Member Alphaxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Finally someone is talking about the best Justice League title in the last ten years. The story are refreshingly tight, engaging, scary, yet hopeful, with near-perfect characterizations of this diverse cast that on paper shouldn't work. Tynion is taking Synder's over complicated mess and turning it into an engrossing story where the characters come before the concept. And Alvaro Martinez... I can't speak any higher than to say that he is becoming one of my favorite artist. A true find. Super detailed, with oldschool story-telling ability.
    What Tynion has done for Dr. Fate and the other Lords of Order, Circe, and the rules of magic has been a wonder to read. When I got to this page, I was totally blown away!
    6984262-lordofchaos.jpg

    Who would have guessed seeing Wonder Woman and Zatanna as Lords of Choas could work and make total sense? That's how well Tynion can craft a story. Making the unbelievable believable.

  14. #14
    All-New Member Circe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Finally someone is talking about the best Justice League title in the last ten years. The story are refreshingly tight, engaging, scary, yet hopeful, with near-perfect characterizations of this diverse cast that on paper shouldn't work. Tynion is taking Synder's over complicated mess and turning it into an engrossing story where the characters come before the concept. And Alvaro Martinez... I can't speak any higher than to say that he is becoming one of my favorite artist. A true find. Super detailed, with oldschool story-telling ability.
    What Tynion has done for Dr. Fate and the other Lords of Order, Circe, and the rules of magic has been a wonder to read. When I got to this page, I was totally blown away!
    6984262-lordofchaos.jpg

    Who would have guessed seeing Wonder Woman and Zatanna as Lords of Choas could work and make total sense? That's how well Tynion can craft a story. Making the unbelievable believable.
    Yes yes yes! In total agreement with everything you said here. This story has floored me in the best way - Honestly for a while this was a better Wonder Woman story than her own title. I love everything Tynion has done with the team and Diana and her mythology is a perfect fit. It’s pushing her character in directions we’ve never seen (the Witchmark-Diana and Lord of Chaos transformations are amazing!) which for me is really paying off. She’s doing something different than we’re used to but it really fits so well. I love it. (And Circe’s role, of course.)

    Her reaction to Mordru and her establishment of the team itself really are genius moments for Diana. Tynion really gets her character and isn’t afraid to push her in directions other writers don’t. And the supporting cast is well written too. It’s all outstanding.

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Circe View Post
    Yes yes yes! In total agreement with everything you said here. This story has floored me in the best way - Honestly for a while this was a better Wonder Woman story than her own title. I love everything Tynion has done with the team and Diana and her mythology is a perfect fit. It’s pushing her character in directions we’ve never seen (the Witchmark-Diana and Lord of Chaos transformations are amazing!) which for me is really paying off. She’s doing something different than we’re used to but it really fits so well. I love it. (And Circe’s role, of course.)

    Her reaction to Mordru and her establishment of the team itself really are genius moments for Diana. Tynion really gets her character and isn’t afraid to push her in directions other writers don’t. And the supporting cast is well written too. It’s all outstanding.
    I would fully endorse Tynion having a run on Diana's home title!
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •