0 0%
  • Saturday

2 100.00%
  • Sunday

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    Compared to Superman and Batman’s first appearances, WW’s is much more sophisticated, but again, it’s being produced for an audience predominantly made up of children, so it’s not overly high-brow.
    Yep, but it pretty clearly shows that Marston (and Peters) had a different background to most other comics creators at the time. Marston was an upper middle aged professor of psychology, while most other creators were in their mid-20s, with high school educations, and having grown up on a diet of early pulp magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    "Introducing Wonder Woman" was one of the first DC preview comics. And my theory is that they decided to put this preview in ALL-STAR COMICS after they had already planned for WW to debut in SENSATION COMICS. Likely this was a 13 page story originally, which would have appeared in SENSATION COMICS No. 1. But when they decided to make it a preview and squeeze it into ALL-STAR, they had to cut some pages to bring it down to 9 pages. That's why the flashback is two pages with set type. This seems to be the solution they arrived at when they had to edit down the story. When you get to WONDER WOMAN No. 1, you'll see a much fuller version of the flashback.

They may have also had to do some cutting and pasting for the regular style comics sequences. Most panels look like they were reduced in size. If you compare the size of the lettering in this story, with the regular stories after it, you can see that the lettering is much smaller. This is also why the comic seems to be packed with long dialogues and narrative captions, in order to fit in everything from the original version of the story. Comics in general had a lot more words than they do in present day, but this particular story is jam-packed.
    Thanks for those observations! And it also fits with the way a lot of the text captions seems to fit poorly into the text boxes.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Yep, but it pretty clearly shows that Marston (and Peters) had a different background to most other comics creators at the time. Marston was an upper middle aged professor of psychology, while most other creators were in their mid-20s, with high school educations, and having grown up on a diet of early pulp magazines.
    True. H.G. Peter was already 61 years old when this story saw print and he had a lifetime as a commercial artist behind him. Most of the young comic book artists were swiping from the artists they saw in the comic strips of the day, but Peter is swiping from established commercial artists and gallery artists. In this story, he's borrowing from Art Nouveau.

Tragically the All Star issue is the one I don't own. ^^;
    I just want to say that im really enjoying following the discussion. ^^

This is an amazing project, kjn!

I've never read any golden age issue of Wonder Woman. Shame on me, I know.

Thoughts while reading the issue:
    - Funny how Wonder Woman falls is love for the "sleeping prince". It's super dated, but an interesting switching of roles. He also fails at his first mission of intercepting the German guys which is funny.
    - Steve has his own adventure since the first appearance of Wonder Woman in comics. Wow. He really is a strong presence in her stories. And what you guys said about being a subtle way to attract male readers makes a lot of sense.
    - The amazons build their own island but I like how it's not a punishment like in Pérez.
    - That mirror/sphere! It's interesting here cause Hippolyta has more agency than in recent comics, I guess? It's implied she knows what's going on on the outside world and learns it's culture to pass it forward. It's kind of "cheating" and I prefer the amazons developing their own technology and knowledge without interference but I think it's a nice idea. It explains how they know English for example.
    - Rucka and Scott really made an effort to reproduce the tournment in Year One, haven't they? Some panels are excatly like the ones we see in this.
    - I think I prefer the Year One version where Hippolyta knows her daughter is competing. The mask thing is a bit weird.
    - I didn't know Artemis was Diana's godmother! Nice touch. As well as they underlining her sacrifice of losing her immortality to go to America.
    - I agree the issue feels a little complicated for a first introduction, but it's very intriguing for a prologue. I'm actually suprised.

Thanks, Joao! And part of setting this up was to actually read a sizable part of Wonder Woman's Golden Age stories—I had only checked bits and pieces so far myself.

The girl falling in love with the wounded hero is a very old trope, just as the sleeping princess is, so I wouldn't call it a role switching. But yes, it's extremely dated, especially as presented here. Rucka modernised it a bit in Year One, and Jenkins further still in the movie.

Leaving Man's World was really vague here, so I can understand Pérez trying to embellish the Amazon backstory and relation to the gods. And one advantage of Pérez's solution was the way it managed to portray the pettiness of the Olympians, even the goddesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    This is an amazing project, kjn!

I've never read any golden age issue of Wonder Woman. Shame on me, I know.

Thoughts while reading the issue:
    - Funny how Wonder Woman falls is love for the "sleeping prince". It's super dated, but an interesting switching of roles. He also fails at his first mission of intercepting the German guys which is funny.
    - Steve has his own adventure since the first appearance of Wonder Woman in comics. Wow. He really is a strong presence in her stories. And what you guys said about being a subtle way to attract male readers makes a lot of sense.
    - The amazons build their own island but I like how it's not a punishment like in Pérez.
    - That mirror/sphere! It's interesting here cause Hippolyta has more agency than in recent comics, I guess? It's implied she knows what's going on on the outside world and learns it's culture to pass it forward. It's kind of "cheating" and I prefer the amazons developing their own technology and knowledge without interference but I think it's a nice idea. It explains how they know English for example.
    - Rucka and Scott really made an effort to reproduce the tournment in Year One, haven't they? Some panels are excatly like the ones we see in this.
    - I think I prefer the Year One version where Hippolyta knows her daughter is competing. The mask thing is a bit weird.
    - I didn't know Artemis was Diana's godmother! Nice touch. As well as they underlining her sacrifice of losing her immortality to go to America.
    - I agree the issue feels a little complicated for a first introduction, but it's very intriguing for a prologue. I'm actually suprised.

In the newspaper comics Marston got rid of that and she knows Diana is competing. The newspaper was cannon(at least part of it is depending on when Diana Prince's came back) has Etta appearance is mention in the comics but her first appearance in the newspaper comic. She was very skinny maybe unweighted. Another interesting thing is Marston also retcon Diana buying Diana Prince's id. What if the Amazons themselves took the role to protect the world?

file.jpg

Last edited by AmiMizuno; 01-21-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Interesting! Didn't even know Wonder Woman had a newspaper edition separate from the comic magazines, though I'm not surprised.

What do you guys think about these changes? The reason why Diana states she met Etta before or the the fact Diana never stole Diana Prince’s id?

Can't think anything, since I haven't read those scripts! The exception is that I like that Hippolyta is aware that Diana participates in the tournament. I like that she opposes it as a mother and allows it as a queen; it adds some believable tension to her character.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What do you guys think about these changes? The reason why Diana states she met Etta before or the the fact Diana never stole Diana Prince’s id?
    I also didn't know about the newspaper comics (by the way, where did you get those?)!!! I like Hippolyta knowing that Diana is participating because of what kjn just said. Don't know how I feel about Etta though. I'm not familiar with the character but the idea of her being unweighted and suddently gaining lots of weight eating candy is a bit weird for me? I don't know the whole story or how it is depicted in the actual comic book though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    I also didn't know about the newspaper comics (by the way, where did you get those?)!!! I like Hippolyta knowing that Diana is participating because of what kjn just said. Don't know how I feel about Etta though. I'm not familiar with the character but the idea of her being unweighted and suddently gaining lots of weight eating candy is a bit weird for me? I don't know the whole story or how it is depicted in the actual comic book though.
    I own the collection edition of Wonder Woman newspaper comic.They never give you Etta Candy's story in how she meet Diana, only in the comics . In the newspaper she had her appendectomy and couldn't eat. Diana gave her candy. The newspaper comics expand and revised the Amazons' history and Cheetah's history.Retcon Diana Prince out in the newspapers. I haven't read thought the whole thing but those are the ones I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    As someone who read the newspaper strips I personally got the impression that it was more an effort to simplify the backstory and make it easier to follow. Heck, I recall it gives us an already reformed Paula without going into her whole arc, skipping that bit to focus on other elements.

The Etta thing was actually mentioned in her first appearance, though we don't find out the particulars so it was interesting to find out those details.

Personally my favorite thing from the newspaper strips was the redo of the Cheetah story, and the story where the Amazonette Kara joins Wonder Woman to find her mother (who it is specifically mentioned made her from clay) for the mom went swimming and wound up in the states by accident WITH AMNESIA

oh and for those curious heres the newspaper thing https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-...oman+newspaper

All this talk about the newspaper strips reminded me how much I want to read them. Gonna pick up that collection this weekend.

Retired

I got the newspaper strip collection awhile back (I've known about the strip since the 1970s when some of the strips were reprinted in THE AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS), but I haven't found the time to read it. What I'll do is read that book in tandem with the Golden Age reread, so I can compare and contrast the stories in the comics and the strips. And it'll give me an incentive to read both.