Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Simple the decade that gave us All in the Family, Mash, Maude, Mary Tyler Moore, Newhart, Kojack, Rockford, Good Times, The Jeffersons, What's Happening, Sanford and Son, Streets of San Francisco, Dallas, Incredible Hulk, or even Quincy which yes comes off as cheesy today but did tackle tough issues for it's time doesn't lose to the Decade that gave us Survivor, the Osbournes, Dog the Bounty Hunter, Keep up with the Kardashians, Big Brother, and other crap like that.
    Survivor and Big Brother are actually considered as being one of the better reality shows out there, plus that's the decade that gave us LOST, The Sopranos, 24, Deadwood, Jericho, Burn Notice, The West Wing, Gilmore Girls, Mad Men, Breaking Bad and so much more

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It's very easy to list the best things of one era and then the worst of another. But it's not a remotely fair comparison. The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, Dexter, Breaking Bad all ran in the 2000's. Quality wise they are way ahead of any show you mentioned. If all you care about are sitcoms okay I guess another decade might have that beat.... but then a huge chunk of Friends aired in the 2000's which is arguably the biggest sitcom ever.
    One anything that started in a previous decade I don't count it's a product of when the pilot aired IMO because that's when it was green lighted and shows the quality of the time of decisions being made of what was being made and the next decade shouldn't benefit because that show might not had been green lighted then.

Two OO's had some good shows but IMO it made popular the worse thing to ever happen to television Reality TV and for that alone deserves last place.

Three as for the 70's deserves perhaps 1st place because it was the decade where for the 1st time American television that wasn't news was being used for Social Change. An example a Bill in California that was going to allow schools to fire LGBT employees for just being LGBT was defeated and one of the things to help with that CBS reran an episode of All in the Family the night before the vote where Edith learned her late cousin was lesbian and Archie wanted to blackmail her cousin's partner into giving them the cousin estate or they'd reveal she was gay to the school board. The episode showed the Studio audience go from shock and a little horror when learning the cousin was gay to 15 minutes later cheering and clapping when Edith told Archie no allowing the partner to keep the possessions in question with no fear.

Yes Breaking Bad, Wire, Mad Men and others were great but none did anything like that.

One anything that started in a previous decade I don't count it's a product of when the pilot aired IMO because that's when it was green lighted and shows the quality of the time of decisions being made of what was being made and the next decade shouldn't benefit because that show might not had been green lighted then.

Two OO's had some good shows but IMO it made popular the worse thing to ever happen to television Reality TV and for that alone deserves last place.

Three as for the 70's deserves perhaps 1st place because it was the decade where for the 1st time American television that wasn't news was being used for Social Change. An example a Bill in California that was going to allow schools to fire LGBT employees for just being LGBT was defeated and one of the things to help with that CBS reran an episode of All in the Family the night before the vote where Edith learned her late cousin was lesbian and Archie wanted to blackmail her cousin's partner into giving them the cousin estate or they'd reveal she was gay to the school board. The episode showed the Studio audience go from shock and a little horror when learning the cousin was gay to 15 minutes later cheering and clapping when Edith told Archie no allowing the partner to keep the possessions in question with no fear.

Yes Breaking Bad, Wire, Mad Men and others were great but none did anything like that.
    While it's not exactly the same thing, go back and watch the One Day At A Time episode "The Singles Bar" while taking a minute to consider that it was a slice of life that was changing greatly at the time they wrote it.

It is realer than "Real Deal" Holyfield.

Quote Originally Posted by RichDante View Post
    Survivor and Big Brother are actually considered as being one of the better reality shows out there, plus that's the decade that gave us LOST, The Sopranos, 24, Deadwood, Jericho, Burn Notice, The West Wing, Gilmore Girls, Mad Men, Breaking Bad and so much more
    That's like trying to tell me how good the best hitter on the tee ball team is.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While it's not exactly the same thing, go back and watch the One Day At A Time episode "The Singles Bar" while taking a minute to consider that it was a slice of life that was changing greatly at the time they wrote it.

It is realer than "Real Deal" Holyfield.
    Yup also a little comic book connection to the episode I gave as an example the surviving lesbian partner was played by the actress who played Superman's mom on Lois and Clark.

To be fair the 00's gave me BSG remake one of my favorite TV shows of all time but I look at this as what was a decades legacy.

The 40's brought TV to us.

The 50's besides some good shows it also perfected the techniques used in making TV to this day.

The 60's While there was a lot of goofiness it also helped defined Sci-Fi TV with stuff like Star Trek and Dr. Who and news coverage with Vietnam.

The 70's where shows from comedies to dramas began to add stories to help bring about Social Change.

80's giving us some of the 1st gritty and real TV with Hill Street Blue's and making first run syndication shows popular from the silly like Mama's Family to Star Trek TNG, Superboy, and many others which lead to less focus on Networks in the future.

90's was where cable shows first started really exploding yeah there were some in the 80's but it was the 90's where the first huge cultural hits got their starts.

00's legacy for better or worse is Reality TV even with the good and there was a decent amount but Reality TV was the dominate change to the landscape and it's legacy.

10's the birth of streaming and the raising of the bar for TV as a whole that brought.

To me the 00's has the last place Legacy.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 01-12-2019 at 03:26 AM.

To be fair the 00's gave me BSG remake one of my favorite TV shows of all time but I look at this as what was a decades legacy.

The 40's brought TV to us.

The 50's besides some good shows it also perfected the techniques used in making TV to this day.

The 60's While there was a lot of goofiness it also helped defined Sci-Fi TV with stuff like Star Trek and Dr. Who and news coverage with Vietnam.

The 70's where shows from comedies to dramas began to add stories to help bring about Social Change.

80's giving us some of the 1st gritty and real TV with Hill Street Blue's and making first run syndication shows popular from the silly like Mama's Family to Star Trek TNG, Superboy, and many others which lead to less focus on Networks in the future.

90's was where cable shows first started really exploding yeah there were some in the 80's but it was the 90's where the first huge cultural hits got their starts.

00's legacy for better or worse is Reality TV even with the good and there was a decent amount but Reality TV was the dominate change to the landscape and it's legacy.

10's the birth of streaming and the raising of the bar for TV as a whole that brought.

To me the 00's has the last place Legacy.
    To be are the reality TV boom techinaclly started in the last 90s with shows like MTV's Real World. And honestly the whole ''raising the bar for TV'' started in the late 90s/2000s

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

To be are the reality TV boom techinaclly started in the last 90s with shows like MTV's Real World. And honestly the whole ''raising the bar for TV'' started in the late 90s/2000s
    MTV's Real World started in 92. The boom didn't come until near the end of the decade.

The 80's had a few premium channels cable shows but it wasn't until the 90's that they started taking a chunk out of basic cable and network TV audiences so that why I put it in the 90's column. You can find reality TV going back further than the 90's the first one aired in 70's with 1974 the family but it was in the 00's that Reality TV took over A&E, History Channel, E TV, Discovery Channel, True TV, and the Networks it was than that it became about 50% of programming so it was the 00's where it Legacy lies.