Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The other thing i don't understand as a hindu is the concept of a religion being wrong. What does that even mean? for us every religion is away for us to cope with the world and reduce unwanted suffering.so it shouldn't really matter if your prophet is mohammed, moses or jesus. Whoever works for you and anyone around you, should be embraced .
    I'm of the same mind as you. Different strokes for different folks and all that.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

If you are going look at it from a historical standpoint. what about moses? Are we seriously supposed to believe that mohammed road pegasus ripoff to heaven or Christ walked on water or buddha was born from a slit in mother's side. Why does the historicity even matter?
    The other thing i don't understand as a hindu is the concept of a religion being wrong. What does that even mean? for us every religion is away for us to cope with the world and reduce unwanted suffering.so it shouldn't really matter if your prophet is mohammed, moses or jesus. Whoever works for you and anyone around you, should be embraced .
    For us, some people like shiva so they go for it. Others like vishnu.. Etc. If they want written historical figures as their guide posts. We have shankarachaya, vivekanada and many sages of the past.
    And myth/not myth business the way i see there might have been historical figures of jesus and mohammed. But i think they should be separated from the religious figures that are in their holy books because of unreliabilities and inaccuracies to say the least.And everything that is supernatural should be considered myths that includes the religious figures that walk on water, fly on horses, being born from mother's side.. Etc.
    I guess the biggest point to take away is that EVERYTHING can't be right...all of these different faiths can't all be true. Either ALL of them are wrong or only one is right. And sooner or later we'll all find out. In our post modern world people have become much more comfortable "cherry picking" and saying all roads lead to Rome. But that's not true...every faith leads to it's own Rome.

So it does matter because there are going to be A LOT of people going a bad place because they put their faith in the wrong thing. As far as Mohammad ascending to heaven that was legend...we know Muhammad died...he didn't ascend to heaven on a winged horse. He has a tomb that people still visit today. Mohammad and the Buddha's tale...came afterwards and could arguably be attached to legend. Jesus' walking on water was recorded and documented by people who where there....AND if it wasn't true there were people around to correct it (Peter or the disciples/Apostles still alive).
    Buddha and Mohammad ascended to mythological heights after their demise and their teachings became "gospels." The person had to be elevated to match the message. Mohammad died...he's still dead (and ironically Muslims aren't even sure he's in heaven). No one witness Buddha being birthed out of his mother's side (and why her side?????)

Christ is the opposite. People witnessed Him walking on water and if it was false...it would have been corrected quickly. It's supernatural...but recorded evidence (and the lack of correction from the disciples) highlights it DID happen.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArsonoptiX View Post
    I guess the biggest point to take away is that EVERYTHING can't be right...all of these different faiths can't all be true. Either ALL of them are wrong or only one is right. And sooner or later we'll all find out. In our post modern world people have become much more comfortable "cherry picking" and saying all roads lead to Rome. But that's not true...every faith leads to it's own Rome.

So it does matter because there are going to be A LOT of people going a bad place because they put their faith in the wrong thing. As far as Mohammad ascending to heaven that was legend...we know Muhammad died...he didn't ascend to heaven on a winged horse. He has a tomb that people still visit today. Mohammad and the Buddha's tale...came afterwards and could arguably be attached to legend. Jesus' walking on water was recorded and documented by people who where there....AND if it wasn't true there were people around to correct it (Peter or the disciples/Apostles still alive).
    Buddha and Mohammad ascended to mythological heights after their demise and their teachings became "gospels." The person had to be elevated to match the message. Mohammad died...he's still dead (and ironically Muslims aren't even sure he's in heaven). No one witness Buddha being birthed out of his mother's side (and why her side?????)

Christ is the opposite. People witnessed Him walking on water and if it was false...it would have been corrected quickly. It's supernatural...but recorded evidence (and the lack of correction from the disciples) highlights it DID happen.
    You keeps saying religion being right.But you don't define what being right means. And i am still confused.
    And what if it is not one, but a few. Why does one have to be right. I mean, there might multiple ways to solve a problem in math right? Sure there is only one right answer.

it was recorded(buddhist texts), so people did witness the miraculous birth of buddha(at lumpini, nepal) the same way jesus walked on water thing was witnessed. And for mohammed, muslims will disagree with you pretty passionatly.
    So, people are in a bad place because of their faith not because of there actions, thought process, the way they communicate with others and how they react to situations?

For us religion is basically ethics, philosophies and guide posts. Which are chosen by the people based on their own temperament, attitudes and needs. And basically what works for them to lead a happy life and for everyone around them. It can be buddha, krishna, christ,Zarathustra.. .etc.So if something does not work for them, they discard it and choose another. That is why we have 33 million gods and counting. We will add a couple of million by the end of this century, lol. Not to mention uncountable number of sages that lived.
    For us, The God(para brahma) takes a form comes to earth whenever the balance is lost. He had did that countless number of times.
    So, some guy says christ is god. We say that's cool. When someone says mohammed is the messenger of god. We ask what was his message again.

Astonishing Member

I was considering the idea of opposed truths some time ago

What occurred to me was that if a truly all powerful god is real, and if it can achieve anything, truly anything even things we cannot comprehend as possible (such as making round squares, for example), then by extension more than one thing may be true at the same time

It's even possible then, that it might both exist and not exist at the same time

Be real and unreal

You know, if it can do absolutely anything

Lots of IFS there I grant you

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I'm of the same mind as you. Different strokes for different folks and all that.
    That's me as well. Besides, the universe is bigger, stranger, more beautiful than we can imagine; infinitely complex and stunningly simple beyond understanding. I very much doubt that anyone has the answers. If the question is beyond our understanding, the answers are as well. Perhaps some few have stumbled upon part of the answer, but the real truth must certainly be outside any human perception, for the universe itself is beyond such.

Ghandi said there were many paths to god, but this quote is one of my favorites.

"I came to the conclusion long ago . . . that all religions were true and also that all had some error in them, and whilst I hold by my own, I should hold others as dear as Hinduism. So we can only pray, if we are Hindus, not that a Christian should become a Hindu … But our innermost prayer should be a Hindu should be a better Hindu, a Muslim a better Muslim, a Christian a better Christian."
    If Ghandi says it, well, it's more than good enough for me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I just don't. I doubt I'm in the minority regarding that viewpoint, either.
    So you think that loads of people believe it and they're wrong - which is the definition of "myth" - but they're somehow not myths? That makes no sense.

I can see that to an extent, and religions tend to teach the same basic morals (based on Bill S Preston Esquire's "Be excellent to each other"), some of the facts and consequences contradict each other wildly.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    So you think that loads of people believe it and they're wrong - which is the definition of "myth" - but they're somehow not myths? That makes no sense.
    Personally, I don't feel any religion is wrong. I either agree with its tenets or I don't. That's it.

As for the religious discourse here, please keep it on topic (I'll do the same, also )
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

You seem to be putting a lot of faith in a book written decades after the events reporting second hand eyewitness accounts.

You keeps saying religion being right.But you don't define what being right means. And i am still confused.
    And what if it is not one, but a few. Why does one have to be right. I mean, there might multiple ways to solve a problem in math right? Sure there is only one right answer.

it was recorded(buddhist texts), so people did witness the miraculous birth of buddha(at lumpini, nepal) the same way jesus walked on water thing was witnessed. And for mohammed, muslims will disagree with you pretty passionatly.
    So, people are in a bad place because of their faith not because of there actions, thought process, the way they communicate with others and how they react to situations?

For us religion is basically ethics, philosophies and guide posts. Which are chosen by the people based on their own temperament, attitudes and needs. And basically what works for them to lead a happy life and for everyone around them. It can be buddha, krishna, christ,Zarathustra.. .etc.So if something does not work for them, they discard it and choose another. That is why we have 33 million gods and counting. We will add a couple of million by the end of this century, lol. Not to mention uncountable number of sages that lived.
    For us, The God(para brahma) takes a form comes to earth whenever the balance is lost. He had did that countless number of times.
    So, some guy says christ is god. We say that's cool. When someone says mohammed is the messenger of god. We ask what was his message again.
    Ok so if (in this context) "right" is eternal salvation...then either ONE faith is "right" or ALL are wrong. They can't be all be right because all of them say different things. One believes salvation comes through 5 Pillars, another Christ, this one says salvation is in everything, another that you may have to be reincarnated a few times to get it. To go with the math prob analogy...in faith...the numbers are the same but for that faith only. It would be 1+1 for only Islam, 2+4 for Wicca and so on. There might be a few different ways to solve a problem but the only solution one will get is based on the specific numbers from that problem (faith).

Religion is rooted in ethics in most faiths but it becomes a work. It's something people do to achieve "perfection" and be worthy of heaven/salvation. What makes biblical faith different is the realization that one can never be good enough. It is through Christ one is save. It's a saving faith. Today people often do discard faiths or adopt things from here or there and in essence they are making themselves...gods. And that's fine...however at some point everyone will discover what was right or not. With so many different faiths/gods/beliefs/practices...all of them simply cannot be right. It is logically impossible. Like could you imagine the chaos just on the highway if everyone believed THEY had the right of way? lol

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    You seem to be putting a lot of faith in a book written decades after the events reporting second hand eyewitness accounts.
    These where first hand accounts...John was there, Matthew was there, Peter was there, James and Jude where there, Paul was there, Mark was there. Paul let people know there people around to verify his account (and they were first hand eye witnesses as well)

Oh man - I've been reading about this. I've seen a lot of Christians call this blasphemy and one even said he hopes the makers of the comic go to hell!!! Well as a Christian myself, rather than condemn this comics, I'd much rather speak to other Christians condemning it and suggest they examine their own behaviour. With all the horrible **** that goes on in the world, they're getting outraged by THIS!?!?

Am I going to read it? No. Not because I'm frightened it'll offend my sensibilities - more because I just don't think it sounds particularly interesting.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    Oh man - I've been reading about this. I've seen a lot of Christians call this blasphemy and one even said he hopes the makers of the comic go to hell!!! Well as a Christian myself, rather than condemn this comics, I'd much rather speak to other Christians condemning it and suggest they examine their own behaviour. With all the horrible **** that goes on in the world, they're getting outraged by THIS!?!?

Am I going to read it? No. Not because I'm frightened it'll offend my sensibilities - more because I just don't think it sounds particularly interesting.
    Exactly!! Doing things like this (condemning stuff outright) really makes believers look silly. I'm not threatened by this comic. I won't add it to my sub box because the premise doesn't interest me and they went with the tired and played out "hippie Jesus." But I might flip through an issue or two. I'll keep abreast of it so if/when conversations come up I at least know what I'm talking about when I discuss it. And most importantly...I'll know why for sure I'm not reading it. Blind legalism is NEVER a good thing.

Astonishing Member

Exactly!! Doing things like this (condemning stuff outright) really makes believers look silly. I'm not threatened by this comic. I won't add it to my sub box because the premise doesn't interest me and they went with the tired and played out "hippie Jesus." But I might flip through an issue or two. I'll keep abreast of it so if/when conversations come up I at least know what I'm talking about when I discuss it. And most importantly...I'll know why for sure I'm not reading it. Blind legalism is NEVER a good thing.
    Some good points

I've for myself my irritation is with the idea proposed by the solicit, all I've got so far

I do accept the book might play out differently

Welp I'm done with DC, any extended media or merchandise, etc.

They are free to publish what they wish. But they'll get no money from me.