Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I was going to ask "Where do Christians stand on the depictions of crucifixions of Dc characters in comics - I can think of Superman and ..."

then went to google the Denny O'Neil Neil Adams Green Arrow / Green Lantern issue with the protester on the cover - I have the single issue reprints and the protester is blonde on that cover but has dark hair on the original issue - whats the story there?

Quote Originally Posted by ArsonoptiX View Post
    Exactly!! Doing things like this (condemning stuff outright) really makes believers look silly. I'm not threatened by this comic. I won't add it to my sub box because the premise doesn't interest me and they went with the tired and played out "hippie Jesus." But I might flip through an issue or two. I'll keep abreast of it so if/when conversations come up I at least know what I'm talking about when I discuss it. And most importantly...I'll know why for sure I'm not reading it. Blind legalism is NEVER a good thing.
    When I read about it I didn't get offended. I just shook my head and thought "that sounds dumb" and moved on. People of Faith who outright condemn something (even when it IS genuinely blasphemous) need to learn to put it out of their mind and carry on with their own lives. It's not actually their job to get offended by it.
    That's what I understand all the "Turn The Other Cheek" stuff to be about.

Nowhere in the Bible did JC say "And you must get offended if someone draws a silly picture of Me and tells a silly story about Me in a comic book which will be published over 2000 years from now..."

To be a Christian there's only two things we need do. Believe, and treat people the way we want to be treated. THAT'S IT. (And the second part of that is difficult enough as it is - without any more added pressure...)

If all of us behaved this way, then the world might stop thinking we're a bunch of nutballs and MIGHT listen to stuff we have to say.
    Last edited by DCStu; 01-18-2019 at 04:28 AM.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    When I read about it I didn't get offended. I just shook my head and thought "that sounds dumb" and moved on. People of Faith who outright condemn something (even when it IS genuinely blasphemous) need to learn to put it out of their mind and carry on with their own lives. It's not actually their job to get offended by it.
    That's what I understand all the "Turn The Other Cheek" stuff to be about.

Nowhere in the Bible did JC say "And you must get offended if someone draws a silly picture of Me and tells a silly story about Me in a comic book which will be published over 2000 years from now..."

To be a Christian there's only two things we need do. Believe, and treat people the way we want to be treated. THAT'S IT. (And the second part of that is difficult enough as it is - without any more added pressure...)

If all of us behaved this way, then the world might stop thinking we're a bunch of nutballs and MIGHT listen to stuff we have to say.
    I believe, but have very few details. However, I'm pretty sure that God is more than capable of handling parody and satire.

It's the biggest religion in the world currently, I think plenty of people listened. Just sayin
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It's the biggest religion in the world currently, I think plenty of people listened. Just sayin
    ****, maybe it's just me then!

Come on Dude... you know what I mean!
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

****, maybe it's just me then!

Come on Dude... you know what I mean!
    Yeah I do, just giving you a hard time.

I'm impressed with this discussion. I expected it to be shut down within the first day or two but everyone is being very civil and open minded and I've enjoyed a lot of the thoughts people have shared.

I mean, no one's converting me to their faith here, but it's nice to see people with different faiths having a conversation that isn't just noise.

My faith is more philosophy and spirituality and science than anything, basically, and it's been interesting seeing what people of organized religions have to say.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-18-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah I do, just giving you a hard time.
    YOU ROTTER!!!

All's good man!

I'm impressed with this discussion. I expected it to be shut down within the first day or two but everyone is being very civil and open minded and I've enjoyed a lot of the thoughts people have shared.
    I've only read the last page or so but yeah. Nice to see that people ain't freaking out.

I mean, no one's converting me to their faith here, but it's nice to see people with different faiths having a conversation that isn't just noise.
    It's the only way that everyone will move forward.

My faith is more philosophy and spirituality and science than anything, basically, and it's been interesting seeing what people of organized religions have to say.
    You'll probably be surprised to find out that what you believe isn't far removed from what I do!
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I hope this controversy generates sales for Russell's new Vertigo title.

Also is this an ongoing or a miniseries?

Ultimate Member

Well this is not a new topic as so many others have done something with Jesus before. From Touched by an Angel to Black Jesus to God Friended me and even Willie Ames as Bible Man. For many this is just another story.

I don't think it's trying to bash the religion. We have seen it showcased from various angles.

then went to google the Denny O'Neil Neil Adams Green Arrow / Green Lantern issue with the protester on the cover - I have the single issue reprints and the protester is blonde on that cover but has dark hair on the original issue - whats the story there?
    Sometimes a story gets TRACED over or recolored for unknown reasons.

Archie is GUILTY of this. I have one story where he had a afro in the original issue, reprint (2 years later) had it cut down & another reprint had his clothes a new color. While a story that had Reggie was redone to put Chuck in it. The story was from 1960. Chuck Clayton was not created until 1970s.

Which explains why a lot of those early 70-80 stories do not list the creative team. So you have no idea which books Tom Deflaco worked on before Marvel.

Then Marvel is guilty of it too. The Power Man issue where Cage goes after Doom for his money seems to have at least 4 versions. Doom says something different in the original (I own), the B&W essentials, the Hardcover and anther copy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well this is not a new topic as so many others have done something with Jesus before. From Touched by an Angel to Black Jesus to God Friended me and even Willie Ames as Bible Man. For many this is just another story.

I don't think it's trying to bash the religion. We have seen it showcased from various angles.

Sometimes a story gets TRACED over or recolored for unknown reasons.

Archie is GUILTY of this. I have one story where he had a afro in the original issue, reprint (2 years later) had it cut down & another reprint had his clothes a new color. While a story that had Reggie was redone to put Chuck in it. The story was from 1960. Chuck Clayton was not created until 1970s.

Which explains why a lot of those early 70-80 stories do not list the creative team. So you have no idea which books Tom Deflaco worked on before Marvel.

Then Marvel is guilty of it too. The Power Man issue where Cage goes after Doom for his money seems to have at least 4 versions. Doom says something different in the original (I own), the B&W essentials, the Hardcover and anther copy.
    Yes i never thought of a simple recolouring job. Nowadays they promote the recolouring as a selling point with all the new printing tech that has appeared but back then everything was far looser. Changing dialogue 4 times is crazy though - if i have a reprint i just assume it's a copy of the original. Clearly not tho.

YOU ROTTER!!!

All's good man!
    Ain't I just tha worst?? (read that in a Bugs Bunny voice, please )

You'll probably be surprised to find out that what you believe isn't far removed from what I do!
    Honestly? I long ago came to the realization that pretty much every major religion can be boiled down into "don't be a dick." I figure when it comes to stuff like this, there's far more than connects us than separates us. I have a number of friends from all manner of faiths, from Wiccans to Muslims to christians to philosophers to atheists, and on the broad points of morality and ethics everyone largely feels the same.

Like Ghandi said man, there's many paths to god.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Agreed. I haven't seen anything about the comic that I think was meant to be insulting, but there have been posters here who feel differently. To each their own; they can be offended and I'll sit back and enjoy the book, if I decide to pick it up at all.

~ Black Panther.

Ain't I just tha worst?? (read that in a Bugs Bunny voice, please )
    That's just made it more sinister to be completely honest...

Honestly? I long ago came to the realization that pretty much every major religion can be boiled down into "don't be a dick." I figure when it comes to stuff like this, there's far more than connects us than separates us. I have a number of friends from all manner of faiths, from Wiccans to Muslims to christians to philosophers to atheists, and on the broad points of morality and ethics everyone largely feels the same.
    Yeah man. It's the missing piece of the puzzle. Funny. Seems so simple yet so few seem to grasp it.

Like Ghandi said man, there's many paths to god.
    Very true. And every man, woman and child who has walked that path has their own story to tell. You see, I don't think of myself as a religious person as such. Yeah, I use the label of "Christian" but only cause that's what everyone else calls me. I don't even go to Church (although I'd like to, long story there)

To me it's just about connection. Being on "the right wavelength" so to speak.
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

That's just made it more sinister to be completely honest...
    Ha!

I don't even go to Church (although I'd like to, long story there)
    The only time I went to church on a regular basis was when I was dating the preacher's daughter. Sounds like the setup to a bad joke, but it wasn't nearly as fun as the stories make it out to be.

To me it's just about connection. Being on "the right wavelength" so to speak.
    Exactly. I try to live right with the universe; that's enough for me.

~ Black Panther.

The only time I went to church on a regular basis was when I was dating the preacher's daughter. Sounds like the setup to a bad joke, but it wasn't nearly as fun as the stories make it out to be.
    My son once dated a preacher's daughter. I am luckily unaware of details, but since her father was of the Greek Orthodox faith, we got prime seating and positioning at greek food festivals.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    My son once dated a preacher's daughter. I am luckily unaware of details, but since her father was of the Greek Orthodox faith, we got prime seating and positioning at greek food festivals.
    Nice.

Well, for your sake I hope she was as boring as the one I dated. For his sake, I hope the opposite.

~ Black Panther.