Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 136 to 144 of 144
  1. #136
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    166

    Default

    I was going to ask "Where do Christians stand on the depictions of crucifixions of Dc characters in comics - I can think of Superman and ..."

    then went to google the Denny O'Neil Neil Adams Green Arrow / Green Lantern issue with the protester on the cover - I have the single issue reprints and the protester is blonde on that cover but has dark hair on the original issue - whats the story there?

  2. #137
    All about DC. DCStu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    UK, just outside London.
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArsonoptiX View Post
    Exactly!! Doing things like this (condemning stuff outright) really makes believers look silly. I'm not threatened by this comic. I won't add it to my sub box because the premise doesn't interest me and they went with the tired and played out "hippie Jesus." But I might flip through an issue or two. I'll keep abreast of it so if/when conversations come up I at least know what I'm talking about when I discuss it. And most importantly...I'll know why for sure I'm not reading it. Blind legalism is NEVER a good thing.
    When I read about it I didn't get offended. I just shook my head and thought "that sounds dumb" and moved on. People of Faith who outright condemn something (even when it IS genuinely blasphemous) need to learn to put it out of their mind and carry on with their own lives. It's not actually their job to get offended by it.
    That's what I understand all the "Turn The Other Cheek" stuff to be about.

    Nowhere in the Bible did JC say "And you must get offended if someone draws a silly picture of Me and tells a silly story about Me in a comic book which will be published over 2000 years from now..."

    To be a Christian there's only two things we need do. Believe, and treat people the way we want to be treated. THAT'S IT. (And the second part of that is difficult enough as it is - without any more added pressure...)

    If all of us behaved this way, then the world might stop thinking we're a bunch of nutballs and MIGHT listen to stuff we have to say.
    Last edited by DCStu; Yesterday at 04:28 AM.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52
    DC Rebirth

  3. #138
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    When I read about it I didn't get offended. I just shook my head and thought "that sounds dumb" and moved on. People of Faith who outright condemn something (even when it IS genuinely blasphemous) need to learn to put it out of their mind and carry on with their own lives. It's not actually their job to get offended by it.
    That's what I understand all the "Turn The Other Cheek" stuff to be about.

    Nowhere in the Bible did JC say "And you must get offended if someone draws a silly picture of Me and tells a silly story about Me in a comic book which will be published over 2000 years from now..."

    To be a Christian there's only two things we need do. Believe, and treat people the way we want to be treated. THAT'S IT. (And the second part of that is difficult enough as it is - without any more added pressure...)

    If all of us behaved this way, then the world might stop thinking we're a bunch of nutballs and MIGHT listen to stuff we have to say.
    I believe, but have very few details. However, I'm pretty sure that God is more than capable of handling parody and satire.

  4. #139
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    If all of us behaved this way, then the world might stop thinking we're a bunch of nutballs and MIGHT listen to stuff we have to say.
    It's the biggest religion in the world currently, I think plenty of people listened. Just sayin
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  5. #140
    All about DC. DCStu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    UK, just outside London.
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It's the biggest religion in the world currently, I think plenty of people listened. Just sayin
    Shit, maybe it's just me then!

    Come on Dude... you know what I mean!
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52
    DC Rebirth

  6. #141
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    Shit, maybe it's just me then!

    Come on Dude... you know what I mean!
    Yeah I do, just giving you a hard time.

    I'm impressed with this discussion. I expected it to be shut down within the first day or two but everyone is being very civil and open minded and I've enjoyed a lot of the thoughts people have shared.

    I mean, no one's converting me to their faith here, but it's nice to see people with different faiths having a conversation that isn't just noise.

    My faith is more philosophy and spirituality and science than anything, basically, and it's been interesting seeing what people of organized religions have to say.
    Last edited by Ascended; Yesterday at 11:51 AM.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  7. #142
    All about DC. DCStu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    UK, just outside London.
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah I do, just giving you a hard time.
    YOU ROTTER!!!

    All's good man!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm impressed with this discussion. I expected it to be shut down within the first day or two but everyone is being very civil and open minded and I've enjoyed a lot of the thoughts people have shared.
    I've only read the last page or so but yeah. Nice to see that people ain't freaking out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I mean, no one's converting me to their faith here, but it's nice to see people with different faiths having a conversation that isn't just noise.
    It's the only way that everyone will move forward.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    My faith is more philosophy and spirituality and science than anything, basically, and it's been interesting seeing what people of organized religions have to say.
    You'll probably be surprised to find out that what you believe isn't far removed from what I do!
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52
    DC Rebirth

  8. #143
    Incredible Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    930

    Default

    I hope this controversy generates sales for Russell's new Vertigo title.


    Also is this an ongoing or a miniseries?

  9. #144
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm impressed with this discussion. I expected it to be shut down within the first day or two but everyone is being very civil and open minded and I've enjoyed a lot of the thoughts people have shared.
    Well this is not a new topic as so many others have done something with Jesus before. From Touched by an Angel to Black Jesus to God Friended me and even Willie Ames as Bible Man. For many this is just another story.

    I don't think it's trying to bash the religion. We have seen it showcased from various angles.



    then went to google the Denny O'Neil Neil Adams Green Arrow / Green Lantern issue with the protester on the cover - I have the single issue reprints and the protester is blonde on that cover but has dark hair on the original issue - whats the story there?
    Sometimes a story gets TRACED over or recolored for unknown reasons.

    Archie is GUILTY of this. I have one story where he had a afro in the original issue, reprint (2 years later) had it cut down & another reprint had his clothes a new color. While a story that had Reggie was redone to put Chuck in it. The story was from 1960. Chuck Clayton was not created until 1970s.

    Which explains why a lot of those early 70-80 stories do not list the creative team. So you have no idea which books Tom Deflaco worked on before Marvel.

    Then Marvel is guilty of it too. The Power Man issue where Cage goes after Doom for his money seems to have at least 4 versions. Doom says something different in the original (I own), the B&W essentials, the Hardcover and anther copy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •