Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Well, it's white Jesus, not real Jesus, so do what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    what a lot of stuff to think about!
    "Well, it's white Jesus, not real Jesus, so do what you want." Here's an interesting point, right here, which no one's seemed to touch on yet. Well noted, Sixspeed Samurai! Yep; if it's 'white Jesus' why, how can it offend people...unless, of course, 'black Jesus' offends sensibilities.

The jesus in this pic does not look white,he looks brown.

Well as a fan of Mark Russell, I feel like I am the target audience for this title. I am very excited about reading this and would be very disappointed if DC backed away from this because the title is the current target of the ever-hungry conservative outrage industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    Well as a fan of Mark Russell, I feel like I am the target audience for this title. I am very excited about reading this and would be very disappointed if DC backed away from this because the title is the current target of the ever-hungry conservative outrage industry.
    Yeah. I love Russell's stuff, but I also realize I may not like this. So what? I may go so far as to wish it hadn't taken the tone it might. Again, so what? I am free not to buy it. I'd much rather see stuff I don't like than seeing any company shy away from what they consider a strong statement.

That being said, I expect some witty commentary and skewering of gross misinterpretations of Christianity. I plan on buying the first issue. Issue two's purchase will be totally reliant on the content of issue one. On some books, time is needed to see if I'll be into it or not. I think with this book, I'll know fairly quickly.

I don't expect this to be a poorly done book. Companies have come out with books I've dislike due to their poor quality. I don't expect Mark Russell to do crap work. Outside of that, my reasons for trying this all rest on his reputation. Even if I don't like it, I hope DC doesn't back off because of reactionary complaints.

The quote attributed to Gandhi “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” is the focus I'd like to see. But the only thing up to me on this is if I buy it or not.

Newsarama is reporting that DC Comics has CANCELLED Second Coming and that it will NOT be resolicited.

https://www.newsarama.com/43906-dc-s...-canceled.html

Quote Originally Posted by Newsarama
    DC has informed retailers that the upcoming Vertigo series Second Coming has been canceled, and that "these issues will not be resolicited."

The publisher did not share the reason for the decision. However, this comes after an online petition asking that the series be "pulled" due to it being "inappropriate and blasphemous" with its usage of the religious figure Jesus Christ. At last count, the petition was signed by over 227,000 individuals.

https://www.citizengo.org/en/md/1678...es-about-jesus

The series was planned as an ongoing title, debuting March 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Newsarama is reporting that DC Comics has CANCELLED Second Coming and that it will NOT be resolicited.

https://www.newsarama.com/43906-dc-s...-canceled.html
    Russell has said that DC's given him back the rights and the book will be published elsewhere, which is great. I hope all of the notoriety makes it a huge hit for him.

This is what's so irritating about some people, be they comic fans or believers in a particular faith, these days: it's not enough to just see something and think, "Nope, I'm not interested in that." No, they're so self-important that they think their opinion and/or belief system has to be what dictates everything for everyone, so they launch these ridiculous campaigns because if THEY don't want to see something, then NOBODY should get to see it. People can cry it's "immoral" or "blasphemous" all they want, but at the end of the day this is the same kind of toxic mindset that kicked up so much garbage over things like the Ghostbusters reboot or Last Jedi. Don't like it? Don't see/read it and get on with your life. But don't actively try to shut it down because your life is so hollow that you need some ludicrous "cause" to fill it.

Well, what a shame. Not surprising, coming from DC. They're pathetically reactionary in so many ways.

I wasn't sure if I was going to buy this, but assuming another publisher does get it I'll make sure to buy three copies of every issue now. Might not even read them, but I loathe the self-important entitlement of some f**k-nuts who think their's is the only opinion and view that matter.

Kaijudo has the right of it. Well said, sir/madam.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Not surprised. The new higher-ups have probably ordered Dido and Lee to not shake the boat anymore. Of course they might as well put a bullet in Vertigo at this point.

This might be the down side of comic books becoming such a huge part of the pop culture world these days.

Now that Disney owns Marvel, and AT&T owns DC, I think you're going to see a whole lot less boat rocking from these companies.

It's to be expected. There's more of a spotlight on comic books today than there has been since the 1950s -- and who wants a repeat of that?

Multinational media conglomerates can't afford to have their company image tarnished because of projects that, at best, would sell 25,000 copies. It's not worth the potential backlash.

So, say goodbye to Second Coming, the Detective Comics 1-26 Omnibus set, the Captain Marvel: Monster Society of Evil hardcover, and any product that could possibly be offensive to someone.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised Second Coming got greenlit in the first place. Remember decades ago when Rick Veitch left Swamp Thing because DC wouldn't let him go back in time to meet Jesus.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not surprised. The new higher-ups have probably ordered Dido and Lee to not shake the boat anymore.
    Many of these decisions were their fault. Stuff like this or Bat-penis should never have happened. It's not the hill anyone wants to die on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Many of these decisions were their fault. Stuff like this or Bat-penis should never have happened. It's not the hill anyone wants to die on.
    I'm usually the last person to defend those two, but if there's one mistake they made, it was thinking that this country was collectively mature enough to handle something like those. Clearly it's not.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Ugly business. I'll buy it when I see it from whomever publishes it. And if I don't like it, I won't by it anymore. And if I do like it, ahhhh.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Kon93

Freedom works both ways folks, and that all I have to say about that

I'm not sure if their mistake was thinking people were mature enough, or giving in to the vocal opposition. Both, most likely.

I mean, Im stubborn, and if someone tells me not to do something I'm probably going to do it just to spite them. So there's a bias. And I really hate seeing seeing people buckle under nonsense complaints just out of fear someone will label them as being not PC enough. I felt the same way when Rosanne was canceled, because you hired friggin Rosanne Barr! What else did you think you would get? Obviously she was gonna be offensive and crude, and who's fault is it you hired her? Your's! And with Gunn being taken off GotG-3 for crap said years ago that had been forgiven and forgotten....until someone got their undies in a bunch.

It's ethical terrorism. Some jackass gets offended by something, so all of a sudden no one can have it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Shoot, I was thinking "maybe this will be good. I wouldn't necessarily count on it, but maybe."

Now I kind of really want to buy it, just to stick it to whatever Christian group managed to get it pulled in the first place. Spite isn't a great motivator for buying, but I'd put some cash down for this one because of it.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    This might be the down side of comic books becoming such a huge part of the pop culture world these days.

Now that Disney owns Marvel, and AT&T owns DC, I think you're going to see a whole lot less boat rocking from these companies.

It's to be expected. There's more of a spotlight on comic books today than there has been since the 1950s -- and who wants a repeat of that?

Multinational media conglomerates can't afford to have their company image tarnished because of projects that, at best, would sell 25,000 copies. It's not worth the potential backlash.

So, say goodbye to Second Coming, the Detective Comics 1-26 Omnibus set, the Captain Marvel: Monster Society of Evil hardcover, and any product that could possibly be offensive to someone.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised Second Coming got greenlit in the first place. Remember decades ago when Rick Veitch left Swamp Thing because DC wouldn't let him go back in time to meet Jesus.
    And since then, we've had:
    Preacher
    The Judas Coin
    Transmetropolitan (remember that ish where Spider went to a religion convention dressed as Jesus and called faith "bullshit"?)
    300 issues of Hellblazer
    The Invisibles
    New 52 Phantom Stranger confirmed as Judas Iscariot
    Batman fighting the devil
    Superman fighting the devil
    The Omega Men
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.