Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Swap out Jesus with Muhammad the Prophet, and this comic doesn't even get past the elevator pitch.
    Hello, how's 1999?

Quote Originally Posted by Mystrx View Post
    I'd be surprised if it makes past 20 issues. Seems like a trash idea for a story to me.
    It's under Vertigo. Unless it absolutely tanks in sales they usually let Vertigo books go until the writer is done telling their story.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Hello, how's 1999?
    1999 and that kind of story could get published. Not so though in 2019 for very good reasons....

I remember National Lampoon running Son O God comic books in their magazine. It was hilarious.

More Son O' God.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Cool! I remember Son-o-God! Thanks for callin' it back to memory!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Anyone already forget we have basically Angels hanging around a pair of Demon hunters in Supernatural and God was a writer named Chuck there. Oh and he has a sister who is darkness personified and a war in heaven occurred because of sibling rivalry.

That's not to mention Red Dwarf who took Jesus out of the past and into the future for an episode.

As for the idea of Islam being used in satire. There are Islamic artist that do such things, only difference is that they tend to use other figures in the religion over Mohammed. And in a lot of cases it's those other figures that tend to need the satireization.

As for this one. Wait and see. I'll check out the issues as they come, depending on how well the story is told.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I am confused, i thought superman was DC's jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    It's under Vertigo. Unless it absolutely tanks in sales they usually let Vertigo books go until the writer is done telling their story.
    Yep that is how its usually done.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Morbidly curious.... though a lot of people don't seem to understand the concept that God is Jesus and Jesus is God. He kinda can't be mad at Himself. If the cover looks cool I might grab it.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Anyone already forget we have basically Angels hanging around a pair of Demon hunters in Supernatural and God was a writer named Chuck there. Oh and he has a sister who is darkness personified and a war in heaven occurred because of sibling rivalry.

That's not to mention Red Dwarf who took Jesus out of the past and into the future for an episode.

As for the idea of Islam being used in satire. There are Islamic artist that do such things, only difference is that they tend to use other figures in the religion over Mohammed. And in a lot of cases it's those other figures that tend to need the satireization.

As for this one. Wait and see. I'll check out the issues as they come, depending on how well the story is told.
    References to other mythos _ I'm sure those upset some people too, and others were just fine with it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    Morbidly curious.... though a lot of people don't seem to understand the concept that God is Jesus and Jesus is God. He kinda can't be mad at Himself. If the cover looks cool I might grab it.
    This is a key thing within the belief culture being addressed, and I think the solicits language specifically disregarded that. The book might not, but the solicit is all we have and is what the publisher decided should promote the book.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    There is the "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" line which notes differences between Father and Son. There are many ways and levels that this book could be either reprehensible or brilliant. It doesn't take much for me to believe that either is very possible based on what I've heard and seen so far from DC and Mark Russell.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post

The difference is that its forbidden and people have a tendancy to die if they do.

If nothing else, I'm sure it'll be better than Battle Pope. Anyone else remember that one? Wasn't that one of Robert Kirkman's first works?

This new title should be interesting; superheroes have dabbled with Messiah imagery for decades and a direct comparison could be rather fun to see. And the Vertigo banner as well as Russel gives me reason to believe this will be done with at least a degree of intelligence and skill.

If it offends you, don't read it. No one will mind.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.