Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Pixar Dead?

Default Is Pixar Dead?

This guys poses the question if Pixar is dead

Mighty Member

Incredibles 2 i liked and so Coco too.

A shame they are milking Toy Story now since the third film was suppose to be the last film! another reason why i'm banning the mouse's ass this year besides unwanted live action remakes, another SW spinoff and more.

I think they struggled a bit creatively after UP (Brave and Good Dinosaur in particular were kind of meh) but they've managed to get a lot of their energy back the past few years.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

They're not at the golden heights they were, but dead is a bit of a stretch. I find most of their recent content good, as opposed to the fantastic work they had been doing.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    They're not at the golden heights they were, but dead is a bit of a stretch. I find most of their recent content good, as opposed to the fantastic work they had been doing.
    Yeah, I agree. Not that they should or ever rest on their laurels, but they still churn out good stuff and so I wouldn't count them out by a long shot. Two of their three upcoming projects are also original pieces.

I don't care what anyone says I'm so freakin excited for Toy Story 4.

BANNED

I think Pixar is suffering from the lack of creative freedom, Disney has tight restrictions on all of their movie.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Disney and Pixar are essentially the same thing now. But Inside Out, Coco, and Incredibles 2 don't strike me as signs of a dying studio. Those first two are among my top 10 favorite animated moves of all time.

So no.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Is the sky falling?

Mighty Member

1. Pixar has a lot more determined competition with Dreamworks, Illumination, Sony , and Warner all churning out animated films of various quality. they don't always make a real impression on me in the same way that Pixar did, though.... it feels like they pander a bit too much, stick too close to the old Disney formula, or try too hard to be 'of the moment'. (now that I think of it it "Enter the Spiderverse" was pretty good, and that "Lego Movie" was a lot of fun... but these sometimes feel like lucky home runs rather than indicative of the sort of consistent quality that Pixar or Studio Ghibli was known for)

2. although the aforementioned studios seem to be cranking out more films with more popular appeal... it's hard not to notice that a lot of the Pixar films also don't feel as daring or artfully done as they once were. now that Pixar has been fully assimilated/integrated into Disney I think the films don't feel as consistently daring or vibrant. fortunately, Laika and Cartoon Saloon have both been going pretty strong for years now... and they've both been rolling along on a fairly impressive streak of more adventurous and ambitious animated films like we used to see from Pixar. if they're lucky, and can keep things up for another four or five years they could hopefully be as strong as Pixar used to be.

and as other shave said Pixar's work is still solid... it doesn't feel as amazing as what they've done before, but it's by no means awful.

the last film Pixar did where I was impressed by how daring and fun it turned out to be was 'WALL-E'. it's one of those films where I scratched my head, thought it might be a disaster, and then ended up loving it in spite of my expectations for the worst. the fact that they had almost no dialogue for the first hour felt pretty brave/crazy when I first heard about it. (it also had a great sound track... that I felt deserved to win over and above "Slumdog Millionaire"s.)
    Last edited by Totoro Man; 01-11-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Mighty Member

I do feel Disney has done well on their own animation studios with Zootopia and Wreck it Ralph 1 and 2.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Simple question with a simple answer. They're still producing films, they're not dead.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

They are still making good films that are highly successful. How do you get "dead" from that is beyond me.

Didn't incredibles 2 break records? I think they will be fine but yes Disney has been on a roll with Zootopia, wreck it ralph, frozen, tangled, big hero 6 (even with the lame bad guy) and others also.

Astonishing Member

People are always looking for the death of something popular. Like some rock n roll writer in 1976 during punk and disco saying are the Rolling Stones dead? LOL