Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Video game prequels?

Video game prequels are of course not a new thing; Castlevania III for example is an early one; as are several of the Zelda games. Lately though there's been quite a few: AC Origins and Odyssey, Red Dead Redemption II, Fallout 76, and most Metal Gear Solid stuff from the past decade have all been prequels. Like with prequel films, occasionally there's some stuff that doesn't always line up perfectly with the originals-Metal Gear is an example of this; not only does the tech evolution seem kind of weird, but there are various retcons of pretty much every aspect of the storyline. However, I found RDR2 lines up very well with the original (although it doesn't deal with Marston's daughter; presumably she died in the time gap?)

Any favorites?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I would happily argue that Arkham Origins has the best story of the four games and in many aspects is my favourite game in the series, to the extent I was annoyed that they didn’t include a HD version of it in the Return to Arkham set.

MGS Snake Eater fermented my feeling that Big Boss is the better character over Solid Snake, though I never finished Peace Walker and have yet to play V so...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I would happily argue that Arkham Origins has the best story of the four games and in many aspects is my favourite game in the series, to the extent I was annoyed that they didn’t include a HD version of it in the Return to Arkham set.
    I will be right there arguing with you until the day I die. I love Arkham Origins. But I love all four games to be fair.

I really liked Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, I liked it more than Borderlands 2. I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion or not but I just really liked the space setting and the main villain of Borderlands 2 being a heroic type throughout The Pre-Sequel.

Extraordinary Member

A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are both prequels to the original Zelda. Most consider those the best two Zelda games.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post

MGS Snake Eater fermented my feeling that Big Boss is the better character over Solid Snake, though I never finished Peace Walker and have yet to play V so...
    I think Big Boss also has the advantage of having more fleshed-out game stories, whereas half of Solid Snake's stuff is pretty much the limited MSX games (He's really only the "star" of MGS1 and MGS4 as well).

Peace Walker actually lines up pretty well with Big Boss's characterization in the later games, completeling his transition to mercenary warlord I think. There's really not much that V adds to things apart from adding a few more retcons here and there and explaining why Zero is in a bad state in MGS4.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

I still argue that Arkham Origins in what it lacked in gameplay differentiation was a much better story than what we later got in Arkham Knight.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil Zero from NGC. These videogames were pure art!

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I still argue that Arkham Origins in what it lacked in gameplay differentiation was a much better story than what we later got in Arkham Knight.
    Exactly, though to be fair I think Warner Montreal simply didn’t want to fix anything that wasn’t broken after Arkham City, so I was fine with more of the same. Arkham Knight suffered a little from being a little all over the place with stories, even though it made sense with it being the last Rocksteady game, not to mention having a pretty easy to guess plot twist months before the game was released. I still enjoyed it though and think it gets more slack than it deserved...

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.
    Yakuza 0
    Devil May Cry 3.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

My favorite video game prequels are all on the same console and are also the main reason why I wanted the console to begin with. The console is the PSP and the games are Crisis Core: FF7 and Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. I also really liked GTA Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories, prequels as well that are on the PSP too.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

All-New Member

MGS 3 Snake Eater had to be the best example of a prequel that comes to mind. Not just great because the gameplay mechanics, but it did a good job providing origin story telling of an iconic franchise character.

MGS 3 and DMC 3

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Assassin's Creed gets weird when it come to what is and isn't a prequel. I mean AC4: Black Flag and AC: Rogue are both prequels to AC3 since they feature characters with links to the ones in AC3. Both Rogue and Black Flag are better than AC3.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Another vote for MGS3.