Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default The Simpsons 30th anniversary

Can you believe that one of the greatest animated shows of all time is 30 this year?

Do you remember when it first came out and also when they debuted on Tracy Ullman? i do! i was 6 years old when they had shorts on Tracy Ullman and i was 8, when they debuted and taped every episode from 1989 to 2000.

I also remember Simpsonsmania in the 90s from t-shirts, Burger King toys, books and all that to the arcade game, it was glorious.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The even more amazing thing is that they've kept the voice cast completely intact that whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Can you believe that one of the greatest animated shows of all time is 30 this year?

Do you remember when it first came out and also when they debuted on Tracy Ullman?
    Of course not, I was like 1 or 2 then (I'm 31 now).

I like the Simpsons, and I feel it's only gotten better and better over the years, especially thanks to all the celebrity guests.*ducks tomatoes*

BANNED

It stopped being one of the greatest of all time 20 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The even more amazing thing is that they've kept the voice cast completely intact that whole time.
    Phil Hartman, Marcia Wallace, and Doris Grau all say hi.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-12-2019 at 02:37 AM.

I think the show has gone downhill in the last few seasons. I think it is time to end it. 30 years is too long for any tv show. Same with Family Guy even though it hasnt been on as long. It just seems the longer a show goes on the worse it gets.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I think the show has gone downhill in the last few seasons. I think it is time to end it. 30 years is too long for any tv show. Same with Family Guy even though it hasnt been on as long. It just seems the longer a show goes on the worse it gets.
    I agree! I've been a fan of the Simpsons since i saw them on Tracy Ullman in 87 and 88 when i was 6/7 and loved those shorts and i taped every episode of the show from 1989 to 2000 and the show should had DIED in 2001! It was a biting satrical show with intelligence, heart (mother Simpson for example), humanity, soul, anti-authority/anti-hollywood social satire and excellence with a proper use of celebrity guest voices. Even quality writing with wit/snark/sarcasm and intelligence especially by Conan O'Brien and relatable characters.

I gave up on this show in 2003 and i moved on to other adult animation as the show was getting soured/stale as i feel anything past season 10 is NOT The Simpsons but Zombie Simpsons! I feel The Simpsons is a product of the 90s and has no place in today's world when it should had died in 2001 with Futurama as it's replacement.

The show died in 2001 to me as i quit show after 2002 and gave up when we had better replacements like Futurama. Fox aka Fucks ( a formerly great studio ran by people who care before they went for greed/caring about money more than quality just like Sony). I bet TRUE fans of the show who grew up in the late 80s and 90s like me who gave up after 2002 or 2003 or 2004 knew it was an abomination because gone was the intelligent satrical writing/soul/emotion/heart/intelligence is replaced by a living dead corpse of a show puppeted by the greedy Fox who only cares for money than quality as Simpsons is now just another Sitcom than a meaningful intelligent show with emotion/heart/intellgence/soul as The Simpsons feel irrelevant nowadays compared to the 90s Simpsons and of course other adult animation nowadays.

I tried to watch an episode of Zombie Simpsons in 2014 where Krusty's dad died and man oh man i felt my brain was melting and wanted to punch the TV. Even seeing the Lady Gaga episode in clips nearly gave me cancer.

Yet if the show ends next year, it's better to kill something than let it suffer for it's losing more viewers and merchandise sales are going down the drain. This show has became a wounded fatally dying soldier that was shot a bunch of times in a war field and seeping behind a building with other soldiers and is asking "please kill me! please kill me so i won't suffer anymore" or like a wounded half-dead animal that needs to be put down. The Simpsons had their time in the sun but since 2001 enough is enough, time to give up Fox and end this show next year! time to rest in peace, move on and done more than enough and more than enough episodes and more than enough episodes as it's becoming a joke of itself and Fox is hurting it's legacy and damaging it's legacy and i'm tired of it. I feel like Tom Atkins at the end of Halloween III with "Stop it, stop it, STOP IT!!!!". Plus had a good run in the 90s.

It's not only beating a dead horse, it's also beating a dead chidhood/teenhood friend friend who needs to be buried. It's now a shambling soulless unfunny poorly written husk of a show that is braindead.

SINO (Simpsons in Name Only which is post season 11) is NOT The Simpsons, By almost any measurement, The Simpsons is the most influential television comedy ever created. It has been translated into every major language on Earth and dozens of minor ones; it has spawned entire genres of animation, and had more books written about it than all but a handful of American Presidents. Even its minor characters have become iconic, and the titular family is recognizable in almost every corner of the planet. It is a definitive and truly global cultural phenomenon, perhaps the biggest of the television age.

if you flip on FOX at 8pm on Sundays nowadays, you will see a program that bills itself as The Simpsons. It is not The Simpsons. That show, the landmark piece of American culture that debuted on 17 December 1989, went off the air more than a decade ago. The replacement is a hopelessly mediocre imitation that bears only a superficial resemblance to the original. It is the unwanted sequel, the stale spinoff, the creative dry hole that is kept pumping in the endless search for more money. It is Zombie Simpsons.

It's better to kill this undead rotting corpse of a show by shooting it in the head so it won't shuffle around anymore searching for new life and move on! this isn't the 90s anymore as we moved on and glad the ratings are down. I hear Matt wants to pull the plug next year. Sometimes dead is better like Jud Crandal in Pet sematary said.

it's no longer a relevant show anymore. Now Regular Show, Rick and Morty, Bojack Horseman, Bob's Burgers, Archer or whatever nowadays for more relevant adult animation than Zombie Simpsons. Now for example, Bojack Horseman has the same heart/soul/intelligence/spirit/anti-hollywood satire/excellent writing and wit of The Simpsons (aka the REAL Simpsons), not like Zombie Simpsons.

I also feel with Conan and some of the other writers left even Phil Hartman's death, the show went downhill. The first 10 seasons had life and since 2000 it's been on life support. But you know what as i'm a futurama and King of the Hill fan, i'm very happy and glad they ended on good notes and didn't become shambling zombie corpses as it's better to let them rest in peace and move on to make new fresh adult animation.

Now the show is a vegetable these days and unwatchable as i'm glad i stopped watching the show in 2003 and moved on to other adult animation. I even saw the awful Simpsons movie in theaters which i had been waiting years to see after hearing in magazines since 1991 about it and it should had been made in the 90s and released around there or in 2000, now that would had been one hell of a thing instead of waiting too long as it's just Zombie Simpsons The Movie. I’ve stuck with the zombie theme in saying that early episodes suffering from a subtle decline are like a “freshly bitten” zombie. You know something’s wrong with the person, you just can’t place it, and other people in the group keep trying to defend them, either due to denial or willful ignorance. But then as the wound starts festering and the infected person starts eying everyone’s craniums, you get more and more suspicious until the bitten individual latches on to one of the last stubborn members in the group who is in mid speech defending them, and takes a bite out of their face. At that point, most of the group acts accordingly, and anyone still willing to defend the zombie deserves what’s coming to them, getting killed or infected themselves.

But the problem with Zombie Simpsons is that there’s a disproportionate amount of defenders in denial while the stinking, rotting corpse is gnawing on their skulls. We’re past B-flick territory and are firmly entrenched in Z-grade scripts. In 2003 i finally did said "so long childhood partner, i will miss you" as i knew the show is dead and i moved on to cherish this show on DVD on Simpsons 1 to 10.

Someone once said that being a Simpsons fan is like having a beloved relative or childhood/teenhood friend who's been on life support for years and you've accepted they're gone so you're just waiting for someone to realize they need to pull the plug on them.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Except one voice actress Marcia Wallace who passed away 5 years ago.
    RIP Mrs. K.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

AH! GHOSTS!

I was referring to the core voice cast, of course. Castellaneta, Kavner, Cartwright, Smith, Shearer and Azaria. All together for 30 years.

One might question why someone who considers The Simpsons' continued run to be the bane of his existence would start a thread about the show's 30th anniversary when they only acknowledge the first 10-11 seasons they like, "stopped watching" the show almost 20 years ago, and (just like a "true fan") condescends toward anyone that feels differently.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

If today's quality of the Simpsons is indicative of it having drastically decreased in quality, I think that only speaks to how great it's been in the past. I may not tune into most newer episodes as I once did, but they're still remarkably watchable when I do. Then again, I'm younger than the show itself so my idea of peak Simpsons quality might differ significantly from someone who was an adult when it first aired.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    One might question why someone who considers The Simpsons' continued run to be the bane of his existence would start a thread about the show's 30th anniversary when they only acknowledge the first 10-11 seasons they like, "stopped watching" the show almost 20 years ago, and (just like a "true fan") condescends toward anyone that feels differently.
    Ever heard of this awesome site called Dead Homer's Society? one of my fave blog sites.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

You could try not gatekeeping or pulling No True Scotsman.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

I'm pretty sure you know what he meant. It's not like the producers have contract negotiations with fate and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    It's the typical reaction to something that has lasted a long time. They make the same comments about The Big Bang Theory and Law & Order: SVU. If the internet was around back when Gunsmoke or Lassie were airing
    it would probably have similar comments. But the fact that these shows have lasted this long is enough people still enjoy them and that the ratings are still high enough to keep them on the air. Perhaps a twinge of elitism.
    jealousy a show they liked got cancelled too soon, or maybe just their tastes have changed over the years - they might enjoy the new episode if these were episode made when they still liked the show, if that makes sense.

I agree! I've been a fan of the Simpsons since i saw them on Tracy Ullman in 87 and 88 when i was 6/7 and loved those shorts and i taped every episode of the show from 1989 to 2000 and the show should had DIED in 2001! It was a biting satrical show with intelligence, heart (mother Simpson for example), humanity, soul, anti-authority/anti-hollywood social satire and excellence with a proper use of celebrity guest voices. Even quality writing with wit/snark/sarcasm and intelligence especially by Conan O'Brien and relatable characters.

I gave up on this show in 2003 and i moved on to other adult animation as the show was getting soured/stale as i feel anything past season 10 is NOT The Simpsons but Zombie Simpsons! I feel The Simpsons is a product of the 90s and has no place in today's world when it should had died in 2001 with Futurama as it's replacement.

The show died in 2001 to me as i quit show after 2002 and gave up when we had better replacements like Futurama. Fox aka Fucks ( a formerly great studio ran by people who care before they went for greed/caring about money more than quality just like Sony). I bet TRUE fans of the show who grew up in the late 80s and 90s like me who gave up after 2002 or 2003 or 2004 knew it was an abomination because gone was the intelligent satrical writing/soul/emotion/heart/intelligence is replaced by a living dead corpse of a show puppeted by the greedy Fox who only cares for money than quality as Simpsons is now just another Sitcom than a meaningful intelligent show with emotion/heart/intellgence/soul as The Simpsons feel irrelevant nowadays compared to the 90s Simpsons and of course other adult animation nowadays.

I tried to watch an episode of Zombie Simpsons in 2014 where Krusty's dad died and man oh man i felt my brain was melting and wanted to punch the TV. Even seeing the Lady Gaga episode in clips nearly gave me cancer.

Yet if the show ends next year, it's better to kill something than let it suffer for it's losing more viewers and merchandise sales are going down the drain. This show has became a wounded fatally dying soldier that was shot a bunch of times in a war field and seeping behind a building with other soldiers and is asking "please kill me! please kill me so i won't suffer anymore" or like a wounded half-dead animal that needs to be put down. The Simpsons had their time in the sun but since 2001 enough is enough, time to give up Fox and end this show next year! time to rest in peace, move on and done more than enough and more than enough episodes and more than enough episodes as it's becoming a joke of itself and Fox is hurting it's legacy and damaging it's legacy and i'm tired of it. I feel like Tom Atkins at the end of Halloween III with "Stop it, stop it, STOP IT!!!!". Plus had a good run in the 90s.

It's not only beating a dead horse, it's also beating a dead chidhood/teenhood friend friend who needs to be buried. It's now a shambling soulless unfunny poorly written husk of a show that is braindead.

SINO (Simpsons in Name Only which is post season 11) is NOT The Simpsons, By almost any measurement, The Simpsons is the most influential television comedy ever created. It has been translated into every major language on Earth and dozens of minor ones; it has spawned entire genres of animation, and had more books written about it than all but a handful of American Presidents. Even its minor characters have become iconic, and the titular family is recognizable in almost every corner of the planet. It is a definitive and truly global cultural phenomenon, perhaps the biggest of the television age.

if you flip on FOX at 8pm on Sundays nowadays, you will see a program that bills itself as The Simpsons. It is not The Simpsons. That show, the landmark piece of American culture that debuted on 17 December 1989, went off the air more than a decade ago. The replacement is a hopelessly mediocre imitation that bears only a superficial resemblance to the original. It is the unwanted sequel, the stale spinoff, the creative dry hole that is kept pumping in the endless search for more money. It is Zombie Simpsons.

It's better to kill this undead rotting corpse of a show by shooting it in the head so it won't shuffle around anymore searching for new life and move on! this isn't the 90s anymore as we moved on and glad the ratings are down. I hear Matt wants to pull the plug next year. Sometimes dead is better like Jud Crandal in Pet sematary said.

it's no longer a relevant show anymore. Now Regular Show, Rick and Morty, Bojack Horseman, Bob's Burgers, Archer or whatever nowadays for more relevant adult animation than Zombie Simpsons. Now for example, Bojack Horseman has the same heart/soul/intelligence/spirit/anti-hollywood satire/excellent writing and wit of The Simpsons (aka the REAL Simpsons), not like Zombie Simpsons.

I also feel with Conan and some of the other writers left even Phil Hartman's death, the show went downhill. The first 10 seasons had life and since 2000 it's been on life support. But you know what as i'm a futurama and King of the Hill fan, i'm very happy and glad they ended on good notes and didn't become shambling zombie corpses as it's better to let them rest in peace and move on to make new fresh adult animation.

Now the show is a vegetable these days and unwatchable as i'm glad i stopped watching the show in 2003 and moved on to other adult animation. I even saw the awful Simpsons movie in theaters which i had been waiting years to see after hearing in magazines since 1991 about it and it should had been made in the 90s and released around there or in 2000, now that would had been one hell of a thing instead of waiting too long as it's just Zombie Simpsons The Movie. I’ve stuck with the zombie theme in saying that early episodes suffering from a subtle decline are like a “freshly bitten” zombie. You know something’s wrong with the person, you just can’t place it, and other people in the group keep trying to defend them, either due to denial or willful ignorance. But then as the wound starts festering and the infected person starts eying everyone’s craniums, you get more and more suspicious until the bitten individual latches on to one of the last stubborn members in the group who is in mid speech defending them, and takes a bite out of their face. At that point, most of the group acts accordingly, and anyone still willing to defend the zombie deserves what’s coming to them, getting killed or infected themselves.

But the problem with Zombie Simpsons is that there’s a disproportionate amount of defenders in denial while the stinking, rotting corpse is gnawing on their skulls. We’re past B-flick territory and are firmly entrenched in Z-grade scripts. In 2003 i finally did said "so long childhood partner, i will miss you" as i knew the show is dead and i moved on to cherish this show on DVD on Simpsons 1 to 10.

Someone once said that being a Simpsons fan is like having a beloved relative or childhood/teenhood friend who's been on life support for years and you've accepted they're gone so you're just waiting for someone to realize they need to pull the plug on them.
    But if you haven't seen the show in over 16 years how do you know how good/bad it is?