Default A Horror Trend I am noticing for this year

This year the strongest thing going in horror movies this year is evil “sons” and stuff. Not because saying it’s a bad plot, no, plots can be good or bad due to how well it’s made. On the top of my head, there are 4 movies with this theme.

The Hole in the Ground: Fae And Changeling Stuff, moms sonnwent ahead of her in the woods, came back different.

The Golem: Irs Timobthy Green ( family without a son, makes a son.) this time, Sonia evil.

The Prodigy: Oh look, our son is a genius, sad side effect he is evil, with no tie in other than intelligence.

BrightBurn: If Superman were a psycho killer as a child.

Just yeah, wonder why the genre took this route this year. Could be worse, like bunch of remakes/boots for cheap cash grabs.

Thoughts?

Probably just coincidence, often times you'll notice creative types have similar ideas around the same time with no contact between each other. Like that other guy not named Alexander Graham Bell who came up with his own telephone, or Swamp Thing and Man Thing happening around the same time (despite having been roommates the creators allegedly didn't know each was coming up with swamp monster ideas). For some reason some creatives are going back to the old "children are creepy" well ala Children of the Corn.

better than more formulaic haunted house movies.

Horror looks strong this year.

i'm more excited about the two or 3 horror anthology tv shows set to debut.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    better than more formulaic haunted house movies.
    Has there really been that many haunted house movies lately? I feel like I haven't seen any classic haunted house pictures in forever, just a bunch of demon-y insidious type crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Has there really been that many haunted house movies lately? I feel like I haven't seen any classic haunted house pictures in forever, just a bunch of demon-y insidious type crap.
    That's what I'm referring. I can't really call it possession. Demon are harassing people.

Just disappointed there hasn't been a Friday the 13th film in some time.

Technically slasher, but still. Closest we've had is the Slashstreet Boys on youtube, and that's just a parody.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    That's what I'm referring. I can't really call it possession. Demon are harassing people.
    Still, not really classic "haunted house" movies. They're formulaic like you said, but a different formula. That said, actual haunted house movies are starting to follow the same formula and tone as these films too - noticeably the Winchester House one certainly felt cut from the same cloth, but at least had some unique qualities too by being a period piece and based on a real location. I don't know if anything truly new or innovative can be done in the haunted house genre of horror movies any more, but it's been long enough in the cycle that you could probably have a good success by just doing the generic haunted house movie really well right now.