Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Hi. Still a big fan of the show, I can vouch that while there's still the occasionally solid story (I'd say "Barthood" makes third in my the list of current candidates for best possible series finale), when we reach the lows, they're real low.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    But if you haven't seen the show in over 16 years how do you know how good/bad it is?
    I trust one of my favorite sites called Dead Homer's Society which talks about old Simpsons and Zombie Simpsons from 1989 to now which they created that term and i stick to that and i stick to watching new adult animation like Bojack Horseman even cherish the classic Simpsons episodes when it was The Simpsons. Like i said in 2014, i tried watching a Zombie Simpsons episode and i felt like shooting the TV as it was sooo awful and glad i stopped.

Nowadays, the show is now like a relative who's suffering from alzheimer's as you stopped visiting that relative and remember the good old days when they knew you

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

20th century Simpsons episodes were often continuous laughter for 30 minutes, excluding commercial breaks. 21st century ones are seldom that, but still above average for a sitcom. I haven't watched it regularly in years, but from what I hear it's gotten funnier lately.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    20th century Simpsons episodes were often continuous laughter for 30 minutes, excluding commercial breaks. 21st century ones are seldom that, but still above average for a sitcom. I haven't watched it regularly in years, but from what I hear it's gotten funnier lately.
    The episode a couple weeks back where Abe Simpson was terrified by little green army men was great. As good as anything from the so-called Simpsons golden age. Maybe not fall on the floor laughing funny.
    But very well written and had such a sweet ending. Several sly cultural jabs too. I put it to the detractors. Name an episode from the first 10 years better than this episode.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The episode a couple weeks back where Abe Simpson was terrified by little green army men was great. As good as anything from the so-called Simpsons golden age. Maybe not fall on the floor laughing funny.
    But very well written and had such a sweet ending. Several sly cultural jabs too. I put it to the detractors. Name an episode from the first 10 years better than this episode.
    I didn't see that episode, but the Homerpalooza ep is still my all time favorite.

I remember all of it, from Tracy Ullman onward. I haven't watched regularly in years, but I was along for the ride pretty religiously for at least the first 20. Went from watching the Treehouse of Horror episodes after trick or treating, to watching them while being one giving out the candy.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-16-2019 at 07:37 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I remember all of it, from Tracy Ullman onward. I haven't watched regularly in years, but I was along for the ride pretty religiously for at least the first 20. Went from watching the Treehouse of Horror episodes after trick or treating, to watching them while being one giving out the candy.
    Never saw the Ullman ones. I started watching the Simpsons when Homer brought home the dog for Christmas and to me the show hasn't really changed that much. There have always been episodes that hit or missed.
    I never really see people cite specific examples of what they think has changed. Even in Tom's long winded complaint can be boiled down to "It sucks". But the millions of people that watch it on Sundays must still like it.
    Perhaps it is more some of the people watching that have changed what they want in a show than the show itself that has changed? Not sure if that says something about me or them. Not that I care. I'll keep watching
    the show as long as it is on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I never really see people cite specific examples of what they think has changed. Even in Tom's long winded complaint can be boiled down to "It sucks". But the millions of people that watch it on Sundays must still like it.
    "We are watching FOX"

(If you get that one, you have my exact opinion of those people)

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    "We are watching FOX"

(If you get that one, you have my exact opinion of those people)
    So you are saying you are better than those people? You consider yourself an elite? And they are just unwashed pig farmers?

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    I trust one of my favorite sites called Dead Homer's Society which talks about old Simpsons and Zombie Simpsons from 1989 to now which they created that term and i stick to that and i stick to watching new adult animation like Bojack Horseman even cherish the classic Simpsons episodes when it was The Simpsons. Like i said in 2014, i tried watching a Zombie Simpsons episode and i felt like shooting the TV as it was sooo awful and glad i stopped.

Nowadays, the show is now like a relative who's suffering from alzheimer's as you stopped visiting that relative and remember the good old days when they knew you
    I've no horse in the race as to the quality of the Simpsons past, present, and whatever era, but going to a site and judging the show on that seems a lot like doing a review by reading the movie's wiki and being disingenuous to the efforts that anyone is putting into the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I've no horse in the race as to the quality of the Simpsons past, present, and whatever era, but going to a site and judging the show on that seems a lot like doing a review by reading the movie's wiki and being disingenuous to the efforts that anyone is putting into the show.
    Meanwhile for us unwashed pig farmers who actually do watch the show week after week the show seems as enjoyable as ever. Not saying every episode has a 100% score. But seldom are they 0%. There is almost always something fun
    in an episode, even in the worst episodes ever. Nothing so bad it makes me want to stop watching. Can you really trust the opinion of someone who stopped watching years ago as to the quality of this season?

BANNED

Speculation on the tightrope of costs faced with Disney potentially keeping the show on air

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/si...on-1203113195/
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-30-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Soooooo True... some of my favorites are 'Trilogy of Error' 'Grift of the Magi' and of course 'Das Bus'

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    (I'd say "Barthood" makes third in my the list of current candidates for best possible series finale)
    Just curious, what are the other two? I'll give them a watch.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    Just curious, what are the other two? I'll give them a watch.
    "Homer's Enemy" and "Who Shot Mr. Burns"