Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Max Mercury / Golden Age Quicksilver (Quality Comics) Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This is a continuation of the previous "Max Mercury appreciation" thread, which can be read here:
    From the original thread (started by Red obin back in late November of 2016),
    Bring him back!

Seriously anyone who read Impulse back in the day will understand the love of this character, his great personality and wisdom. They brought him back in the first flash rebirth but did nothing with him, I would love to see him in a regular mentor role again.

from Flash Secret Files & Origins #1 (November 1997):

from Who's Who Vol. XIX (Sept. 1986)

In the previous version of this here thread I shared some pages from Speed Force #1 (1997) where Max was going by the identity of "Whip Whirlwind" in the 1890s.

Well, in Flash 80-Page Giant #1 (August 1998), there was a story (featuring Babe Ruth) about how Max was calling himself "Lightning" in the 1920s.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I never read a single one of his original stories. Nonetheless, this Who's Who entry enflamed my imagination, and made him my favorite speedster. I LOVED the idea of a speedster who was both an acrobat and a gadgeteer.

To me, "Max Mercury" never measured up to the Quicksilver of my imagination.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 03-21-2019 at 08:47 PM.

The first time I ever read about Quicksilver was when a reprint of one of his Quality Comics stories was included in a 100 Page Super-Spectacular that my older sister had.

cover of The Flash #214 (April 1972)

And here's the story that was reprinted in that issue, taken from National Comics #67 (August 1948)

BANNED

Max Mercury is super cool. an underrated OG speedster.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

The first time I ever read about Quicksilver was when a reprint of one of his Quality Comics stories was included in a 100 Page Super-Spectacular that my older sister had.
    First time I saw him he was literally in Limbo, in Grant Morrison's Animal Man.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Boisterously Confused

This is where I first heard of him. The idea he was also an acrobat who used chemical tools really interested me.

Did anyone feature that when they brought him back?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This is where I first heard of him. The idea he was also an acrobat who used chemical tools really interested me.

As far as I'm aware, Golden Age Quicksilver had very few new appearances in DC comic books before Mark Waid brought him back as "Max Mercury", so I kind of doubt it (unless it came up in a story during the period after 1995 when I stopped regularly buying / reading comic books until around 2010).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

In ROBA Waid has him fight with Thawne by doing acrobatics around a construction site.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    In ROBA Waid has him fight with Thawne by doing acrobatics around a construction site.
    I read the collected edition on that, and didn't recall that part.