Default Red Hood: Outlaw #30 Preview and Discussion Thread

source

Written by: Scott Lobdell
    Art by: Pete Woods
    Cover by: Pete Woods
    Variant cover by: Philip Tan
    U.S. Price: $3.99
    On Sale Date: January 16, 2019

Will the Red Hood’s latest campaign be his last? Jason’s hot on the heels of the drugs he and Arsenal recently tracked to Beijing, but instead of finally encountering the mysterious Solitary, he finds himself face to face with a figure from his past. Plus, who’s the new Wingman, and why’s he tracking the Red Hood? And how can he and Jason be in the same place at the same time? Find out in “Outlaw” part five!

You'd think he's focus his attention on trying to find out who killed his best friend.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    You'd think he's focus his attention on trying to find out who killed his best friend.
    Why? He has the whole Justice League working on it, it's a bigger than one murdered person case, and he doesn't have access to any of the mass murdering details.

I mean, besides the obvious reason that Heroes in Crisis is its whole isolated thing and you cannot allow your book to be interrupted by it, same as you cannot resolve said case in a book outside Heroes in Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Why? He has the whole Justice League working on it, it's a bigger than one murdered person case, and he doesn't have access to any of the mass murdering details.
    I always thought the whole point, tone, and attitude of Jason was his belief that he doesn't really trust the other superheroes to get the job done - that why he has to do things his way.

I mean, besides the obvious reason that Heroes in Crisis is its whole isolated thing and you cannot allow your book to be interrupted by it, same as you cannot resolve said case in a book outside Heroes in Crisis.
    That's more convincing, but of course it's meta-reasoning. For a confident - many would say arrogant - hero to say, "My best friend was murdered! I need to honor him! So I'm... not going to get in there, help figure out who did it, and exact justice. I'm going to continue on an unrelated case we talked about recently" requires an editor's hand on the character's shoulder.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

I LOVE that variant, wow.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

@Doctor Bifrost: If you are interested in the topic why Jason chose not to investigate Roy's murder (immediately): Here's the link to the old RH:O #27 discussion. There was a lot of meta-reasoning but also some in-universe arguments. (And at this point we don't know how Jason will react when the Justice League has found the culprit.)

For the preview:
    I love that irony that the first panel shows Kate and Renee driving away and (unknowingly) sending Jason off to prison (again).
    And since South Park, I love the story concept of people crossing borders from the USA to Mexico. (Although South Park was a political statement, this here is just a story element.)
    The lizard is so damn cute. (Jason should really get a pet.)
    Jason repairing a car and humming a melody is such a nice panel.
    This whole "No one with a soul goes there."-"Then I should be fine." scene reminded me of someone (@Dark?) mentioning last year that Jason is worried about literally not having a soul.
    So the Pie Lady is considered a "Monday" too? I thought the term was only used for these Solomon Grundy clones.

Well, yeah. But Jason isn't being used in Heroes in Crisis, so he's not allowed to be doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    @Doctor Bifrost: If you are interested in the topic why Jason chose not to investigate Roy's murder (immediately): Here's the link to the old RH:O #27 discussion. There was a lot of meta-reasoning but also some in-universe arguments. (And at this point we don't know how Jason will react when the Justice League has found the culprit.)

For the preview:
    I love that irony that the first panel shows Kate and Renee driving away and (unknowingly) sending Jason off to prison (again).
    And since South Park, I love the story concept of people crossing borders from the USA to Mexico. (Although South Park was a political statement, this here is just a story element.)
    The lizard is so damn cute. (Jason should really get a pet.)
    Jason repairing a car and humming a melody is such a nice panel.
    This whole "No one with a soul goes there."-"Then I should be fine." scene reminded me of someone (@Dark?) mentioning last year that Jason is worried about literally not having a soul.
    So the Pie Lady is considered a "Monday" too? I thought the term was only used for these Solomon Grundy clones.
    These are the things that stand out in this preview to me as well.

@Doctor Bifrost: In addition to what the others have said, I also think that practically Jason has no resource to investigate Roy's murder and he knows it, what with Sanctuary being run by Batman and the JL. Jason, having no qualm about killing and just recently pissed off Batman, might not be allowed to set foot in there, much less investigate. On another note, Jason views death differently than most others because of his own experience so while he definitely misses Roy, he also accepts it more easily.
    Last edited by G-Potion; 01-12-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Plus the entire reason he’s even on this case is because of Roy. Can’t leave it unfished.

I always thought the whole point, tone, and attitude of Jason was his belief that he doesn't really trust the other superheroes to get the job done - that why he has to do things his way.

That's more convincing, but of course it's meta-reasoning. For a confident - many would say arrogant - hero to say, "My best friend was murdered! I need to honor him! So I'm... not going to get in there, help figure out who did it, and exact justice. I'm going to continue on an unrelated case we talked about recently" requires an editor's hand on the character's shoulder.
    I don't see why you see him like that. He's not Bruce. He is alone half the time because his choices are hard to swallow to others, and because he isolates himself because of the place his actions put him in, not because he doesn't trust others. Especially under Lobdell.

Edit: I mean, you can bet he will trust a detective like Bruce to find the culprits. Then, what Bruce and the JL will do when they arrest the culprits, is another whole issue, and Jason prosibly may disagree.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-12-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    These are the things that stand out in this preview to me as well.
    Yep. I think that was actually the writer's intention behind. That, and playing the trope of the devil man. You know that one: the stranger who arrives to a village in the middle of nowhere and looks like the devil or the death, a mystery man with no soul, or too pale, and asks for someone or directions.

But that may be me seeing things.

The point of making notice of Jason believing he doesn't have a soul was clear. It's the second time he does, that I recall, in this run. The first one was when he drew the all-blades and they didn't last long.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-12-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: a few typos, ups!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    The point of making notice of Jason believing he doesn't have a soul was clear. It's the second time he does, that I recall, in this run. The first one whas when he drew the all-blades and they didn't last long.
    I wonder if that's what Queen Bee was about to say before getting pummeled by Biz. She was rather shocked by what she saw.