Astonishing Member

Default Question about Spider-Man underarms webbings.

Spider-Man original costume had the underams webbing.John Romita Sr used less that in the stories he illustrated.And ever since that run the consistency of artist´s illustrating the under arms webbing have been uneven.
    In the Roger Stern run in Amazing Spider-Man it was officially brought back to the design of the character after many letters asking for the under arms webbing to return.
    But i remember in the 90´s many stories had Spider-Man without the under arms webbing.
    My question is what is the point of the under arms webbing?
    Is it to help Spider-Man glide while web slinging or is merely a aesthetic reference of the Spider-Man costume?
    For years i was more inclined in the former explanation,but that explanation is something that i am still not sure.
    I don´t remember any story explaining this.
    It makes sense that this would be something that would help Spider-Man to glide while web slinging but then again the holes the under arms webbing have would not help much Spider-Man to glide.
    So anybody have a info about this?
    Are the Spider-Man under arms webbing made for helping Spider-Man glide or is it just a visual reference in the costume as the Spider logo from the costume?
    And Spider-Man webs dissolve after one hour.So those under arms webbing could not be made from the same web that Spider-Man uses.Are those under arms webbing just clothing that resembles webs?
    Last edited by comicscollector; 01-12-2019 at 12:35 AM.

They are cloth and are just part of the costume. They don't allow Spidey to glide unlike SpiderWoman's

They look cool and anyone who excludes them is wrong. Except Humberto, because they would disrupt his beanpole Parker aesthetic. He officially gets a pass.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The Ps4 game did a reference to the underarm webs as a failed experiment to glide or something like that. It’s one of the objects you find in one of the many backpacks spread across the city. In comics, I have never read a practical reason justifying their existence, but they look cool. As a kid, I was impressed when I discovered them. I came from the Raimi’s movies and Fox Kids’ cartoon into Spidey’s comics, but for years I wasn’t aware that he had those webs
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Astonishing Member

They're a design element. They give Spider-Man a more interesting silhouette, rather than just being a pained mannequin.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    They are cloth and are just part of the costume. They don't allow Spidey to glide unlike SpiderWoman's
    I see.It makes sense that the under arms webbing is made of cloth.I thought for a long time that Spider-Man under arms webbing helped Spider-Man glide a bit while web slinging.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    They look cool and anyone who excludes them is wrong. Except Humberto, because they would disrupt his beanpole Parker aesthetic. He officially gets a pass.
    The under arms webbing being excluded from the illustrations is something that does not bother me that much.After all there have never been much of a consistency in that regard in the Spider-Man comics.
    Many of my favorite artist´s from the Spider-Man comics as Mark Bagley,Humberto Ramos or Stuart Immonem had not illustrated them in some their illustrations.
    Recently that have not been something that is part of the Spider-Man illustrations.I think the last artist that illustrated them consistently was Alex Ross in the covers he did for the Amazing Spider-Man comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    The Ps4 game did a reference to the underarm webs as a failed experiment to glide or something like that. It’s one of the objects you find in one of the many backpacks spread across the city. In comics, I have never read a practical reason justifying their existence, but they look cool. As a kid, I was impressed when I discovered them. I came from the Raimi’s movies and Fox Kids’ cartoon into Spidey’s comics, but for years I wasn’t aware that he had those webs
    Thanks for the info from the PS4 Spider-Man vídeo game.I did not knew that.
    In comics i dont remember any story that have Peter Parker commenting the reason why he made the under arms webbing in the original costume.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 01-15-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Mighty Member

J. Jonah Jameson once told Fred Hembeck it was underarm mold, because Spider -Man never washed...

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Wait, they are cloth? I thought they're web and I never knew what it's for. I just thought it's a weird design element that made Spider-Man look like he has weird armpit hair

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    J. Jonah Jameson once told Fred Hembeck it was underarm mold because Spider-Man never washed...
    ...or that

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Spider-Man original costume had the underams webbing.John Romita Sr used less that in the stories he illustrated.And ever since that run the consistency of artist´s illustrating the under arms webbing have been uneven.
    In the Roger Stern run in Amazing Spider-Man it was officially brought back to the design of the character after many letters asking for the under arms webbing to return.
    But i remember in the 90´s many stories had Spider-Man without the under arms webbing.
    My question is what is the point of the under arms webbing?
    Is it to help Spider-Man glide while web slinging or is merely a aesthetic reference of the Spider-Man costume?
    For years i was more inclined in the former explanation,but that explanation is something that i am still not sure.
    I don´t remember any story explaining this.
    It makes sense that this would be something that would help Spider-Man to glide while web slinging but then again the holes the under arms webbing have would not help much Spider-Man to glide.
    So anybody have a info about this?
    Are the Spider-Man under arms webbing made for helping Spider-Man glide or is it just a visual reference in the costume as the Spider logo from the costume?
    And Spider-Man webs dissolve after one hour.So those under arms webbing could not be made from the same web that Spider-Man uses.Are those under arms webbing just clothing that resembles webs?
    initially it was just part of Ditko's design. I don't understand why so many fans hate them. They were legitimately part of his history.

The gliding part was only used in the movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    initially it was just part of Ditko's design. I don't understand why so many fans hate them. They were legitimately part of his history.

The gliding part was only used in the movies.
    Because the point of the underarms webbing was never explained in the stories i just assumed that they would help Spider-Man glide a bit while web slinging.Dunno why that part of the original design of the Spider-Man costume is so disliked as well.
    I think they are cool.Not as large as they were in the first stories in Amazing Spider-Man,but the way the webbing got smaller with the John Romita Sr illustrated them is the best.