Default Detective Comics #1003 Preview/Discussion

Tomasi's given us more Robin in Batman books then I think pretty much the entirety of 2018 .

One of the villains revealed the AK name and the villain father revealed this character name and surname...

spoilers:
    Another Arkham.. Of course that she is insane..
    Late Teens. Pushing twenty..TOO YOUNG. I wonder WHO trained her.. The league of assasins kidnapped her years ago and made her follow her ideals and obsession for the bat?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-08-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    One of the villains revealed the AK name and the villain father revealed this character name and surname...

spoilers:
    Late Teens. Pushing twenty..TOO YOUNG. I wonder WHO trained her.. The league of assasins kidnapped her years ago and made her follow her ideals and obsession for the bat?
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, I'll wait to give it a "meh" because at least the character was not shoe horned into being tied to Batmans past like they seem to do so often.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member

I gotta say that while this storyline isn't necessarily "living up to the hype" of being cross-platform promotional big whatevers ... I genuinely didn't see that coming. I mean it's tropey as all get out, "that's comics" to the max, and so forth but like ... I kind of like this a lot better than any other option would have been. I mean way to go literal.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

While the reveal was somewhat underwhelming, I find that the Arkham Knight has a mixture of dedication, values and delusions which make the character very intriguing. I can't say for sure if it (and the character) will last, but so far I'm really interested in the story, even if I can more or less suspect why Arkham Knight became what he is.

Personally I always found that Tomasi struggles with "epics" and most, if not all of them, end up on whimper. So in a way I'm glad this is not being built as some epic plot, but is more your regular Batman type of story.

As for the character, I think that League of Assassins connection would kinda bring it full circle and explain why Arkham Knight is interested in "saving" Damian.

That's kind of why I came back to Detective when it was announced Tomasi was taking over. I don't go in expecting the seminal works of our time, but I'm almost always entertained. There's a consistency to Tomasi that I enjoy that certain swing-for-the-fences creators lack.

And, as I mentioned in the last issue thread, outside of Morrison he's the only writer I've read who can write Damian w/o driving me up a wall. I actually like the character in his hands.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    That's kind of why I came back to Detective when it was announced Tomasi was taking over. I don't go in expecting the seminal works of our time, but I'm almost always entertained. There's a consistency to Tomasi that I enjoy that certain swing-for-the-fences creators lack.

And, as I mentioned in the last issue thread, outside of Morrison he's the only writer I've read who can write Damian w/o driving me up a wall. I actually like the character in his hands.
    I'll second all of the above.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I'm surprised they don't just use the Telltale villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I'm surprised they don't just use the Telltale villain.
    What telltale villain? LADY ARKHAM?

I was reading in one place about Detective Comics 1003.. Maybe this place confirmed me that Astrid training and ideals are related with her mother..

I saw 2 suspicious women names related with Jeremiah past and are Alyce Sinner and Fright.. I heard that the first was related with one cult, like Astrid..
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-13-2019 at 02:22 AM.

This is the most I've enjoyed Damian. I've never really been a fan but I found him to be my favorite part of the issue.

Can someone do a quick Arkham family tree for me?