Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 58 of 58
  1. #46
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't really see a lot of Ultimate Pete in MCU Peter. Not enough angst and quips.

    I guess he's still terrible about keeping his secret identity, but that was a Bendis thing (look at how quickly people learn Peter and Miles' identity under his pen).
    The quips and angst will come.

  2. #47
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't really see a lot of Ultimate Pete in MCU Peter. Not enough angst and quips.
    Really?

    There was also all that about him wanting to be an Avenger and looking up to Iron Man and him being the rookie in a world of pros.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess he's still terrible about keeping his secret identity, but that was a Bendis thing (look at how quickly people learn Peter and Miles' identity under his pen).
    Maybe?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  3. #48
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    38,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    There was also all that about him wanting to be an Avenger and looking up to Iron Man and him being the rookie in a world of pros.
    That stuff felt much more underplayed and not as in-your-face as it was with MCU Spidey. It only occasionally came up in conversations between Peter and MJ or in Peters' internal monolgue, but it wasn't such a main drive for his heroism as it seemed to be with MCU Peter.

    And while he seemed to look up to Stark, it didn't come across like it did in the MCU where it put Peter in such a sidekick status towards Iron Man.

    As far as the "rookie in a world of pros," while I'd say it's a similar standing I think in practice it was applied completely differently. Especially since Ultimate Pete didn't become as quickly embroiled in the Superhero teams of his universe as MCU Peter did.

  4. #49
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That stuff felt much more underplayed and not as in-your-face as it was with MCU Spidey. It only occasionally came up in conversations between Peter and MJ or in Peters' internal monolgue, but it wasn't such a main drive for his heroism as it seemed to be with MCU Peter.

    And while he seemed to look up to Stark, it didn't come across like it did in the MCU where it put Peter in such a sidekick status towards Iron Man.

    As far as the "rookie in a world of pros," while I'd say it's a similar standing I think in practice it was applied completely differently. Especially since Ultimate Pete didn't become as quickly embroiled in the Superhero teams of his universe as MCU Peter did.
    Fair enough. I will concede that both versions went different places with the same ideas.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  5. #50
    Fantastic Member Marvelgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That stuff felt much more underplayed and not as in-your-face as it was with MCU Spidey. .
    He was drooling over iron man. MCU Spidey is not Spider-Man.

  6. #51
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    He was drooling over iron man. MCU Spidey is not Spider-Man.
    Can we really say that in a post-Into the Spider-Verse world?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  7. #52
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,027

    Default

    Let's play a fun game called: MCU Peter or Ultimate Peter?

    "Tony Stark rules. He Totally rules. I wonder if he read my essay. Man, I would LOVE to show him my web fluid formula. I know he would love it. It would knock his … socks … off"

    " Super awesome cool!!!!...I am totally digging the new Iron Man Armor.... and that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me all week"

    "You're one of the smartest men in the world, and I don't mind saying one of my all time personal heroes..."

  8. #53
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    38,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Let's play a fun game called: MCU Peter or Ultimate Peter?

    "Tony Stark rules. He Totally rules. I wonder if he read my essay. Man, I would LOVE to show him my web fluid formula. I know he would love it. It would knock his … socks … off"

    " Super awesome cool!!!!...I am totally digging the new Iron Man Armor.... and that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me all week"

    "You're one of the smartest men in the world, and I don't mind saying one of my all time personal heroes..."
    Isn't most of this from that one Spider-Man/Iron Man team-up in Ultimate Spider-Man?

  9. #54
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't most of this from that one Spider-Man/Iron Man team-up in Ultimate Spider-Man?
    My point is Ultimate Peter’s admiration for Stark wasn’t exactly underplayed or subtle.

  10. #55
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    38,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    My point is Ultimate Peter’s admiration for Stark wasn’t exactly underplayed or subtle.
    I feel like it was a lot more isolated then it was in the case of MCU Peter.

    Like, 616 Peter looks up to and idolizes Cap a little, and you can probably see that on the page whenever he's around Cap, but he's not at all like MCU Peter and Stark.

  11. #56

    Default

    In the case of Ultimate Peter, Tony Stark is not the major superhero guy Peter has interactions with. He had some but Tony Stark was more "cool uncle" than substitute Dad and father figure. Nick Fury was Peter's point-man in the superhero community...and Fury and Peter's dynamic was much more fraught. Peter often questioned and challenged Fury, backtalked him, certainly didn't worship the ground he walked on as he does with MCU Tony.

    Like Ultimate Peter was a good bit rebellious. Like he ran into the Ultimates and this was his judgment about them:
    "I mean, this is what I have to look forward to when I grow up? People being just... jerks."
    — Ultimate Spider-Man, Issue 70

    MCU Peter is too whitebread to voice an attitude like that. The point of Ultimate Peter as the story evolved was that he became the moral and emotional center of the entire Ultimate Universe, albeit unintentionally since the extreme makeovers and violent personality shifts in the Ultimates and the Ultimate X-Men, made Ultimate Peter by default the only decent superhero in a totally corrupt world. The whole "Death of Spider-Man" arc was about that. Despite being young, he was the guy that Johnny Storm looked up to, that Shadowcat took inspiration from when she became leader of the X-Men Post-Ultimatum.

    Now obviously MCU can't go there right from the get-go since that stuff built up over many issues. But the problem is that Peter's hero-worshipping of Tony Stark doesn't make too much sense within the universe. Like Tony started out as a weapons manufacturer, and then became a, very destructive, superhero...in the same movie that Peter showed up, he's notorious for building Ultron and blamed for the destruction of Sokovia. It makes little sense that Peter would wholeheartedly admire Tony that way...and the only reason is corporate branding. In the original Civil War story, Peter started in Tony's side but then saw the whole Gulag thing and became Team Cap.

    To me MCU Peter is not the character Peter Parker/Spider-Man (in the way Ultimate and 616 Peter are) but he's the company mascot Spider-Man.

  12. #57
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    38,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    To me MCU Peter is not the character Peter Parker/Spider-Man (in the way Ultimate and 616 Peter are) but he's the company mascot Spider-Man.
    He feels kind of like the Avengers' mascot because of how young he is, but since Iron Man is basically the flagship and tentpole hero of the MCU it feels like Spider-Man has to ride a little on his coattails in the MCU.

    An issue that is not shared by...basically any other MCU solo hero.

  13. #58
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In the case of Ultimate Peter, Tony Stark is not the major superhero guy Peter has interactions with. He had some but Tony Stark was more "cool uncle" than substitute Dad and father figure. Nick Fury was Peter's point-man in the superhero community...and Fury and Peter's dynamic was much more fraught. Peter often questioned and challenged Fury, backtalked him, certainly didn't worship the ground he walked on as he does with MCU Tony.

    Like Ultimate Peter was a good bit rebellious. Like he ran into the Ultimates and this was his judgment about them:
    "I mean, this is what I have to look forward to when I grow up? People being just... jerks."
    — Ultimate Spider-Man, Issue 70

    MCU Peter is too whitebread to voice an attitude like that. The point of Ultimate Peter as the story evolved was that he became the moral and emotional center of the entire Ultimate Universe, albeit unintentionally since the extreme makeovers and violent personality shifts in the Ultimates and the Ultimate X-Men, made Ultimate Peter by default the only decent superhero in a totally corrupt world. The whole "Death of Spider-Man" arc was about that. Despite being young, he was the guy that Johnny Storm looked up to, that Shadowcat took inspiration from when she became leader of the X-Men Post-Ultimatum.

    Now obviously MCU can't go there right from the get-go since that stuff built up over many issues. But the problem is that Peter's hero-worshipping of Tony Stark doesn't make too much sense within the universe. Like Tony started out as a weapons manufacturer, and then became a, very destructive, superhero...in the same movie that Peter showed up, he's notorious for building Ultron and blamed for the destruction of Sokovia. It makes little sense that Peter would wholeheartedly admire Tony that way...and the only reason is corporate branding. In the original Civil War story, Peter started in Tony's side but then saw the whole Gulag thing and became Team Cap.

    To me MCU Peter is not the character Peter Parker/Spider-Man (in the way Ultimate and 616 Peter are) but he's the company mascot Spider-Man.
    Tony Stark is billionaire scientific genius who used his flying suit to help fight off an alien invasion in Peter’s city. It doesn’t really matter that he was a weapon manufacturer before becoming Iron Man or was involved in the Ultron incident. The battle of NYC is more than enough to explain why a 16 year old rookie superhero would treat Tony the way Peter does.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •