Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Nah. Too much hassle and the MCU isn't going to have a married Spider-Man anywhere near it. I could see there being a time when some of the characters from Spider-verse show up in the MCU, but they'll be under different circumstances.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    what other franchise is intended apart from Spiderman? X-men? Hulk? Iron Man?
    I don't see the relevancy? Besides, Sony is making a Spider-Man-only cinematic universe as we speak that the Spider-Verse movie is technically a part of...

The movie is not cinematic universe intended. its a series that will have sequels and possible spin offs of Spiderman related stories/characters. This is the best Spiderman film since Spiderman 2, not having any cinematic nonsense or making a movie as a platform to set up something bigger ignoring the story (Amazing Spiderman movies) helped a lot. it was like the 2000s again when we had Spiderman 2 or X-Men 2.

Can we please just be allowed to enjoy pure stand alone movies again? some of us are sick of the cinematic universe nonsense. It was bad for us to sit through Spiderman as Iron Man's protege in Homecoming. this film is a good rebirth of what comic films are, not only as a Spiderman movie but for Marvel animation that has been in the gutter since Disney XD took over. As the fans of the thread have said, it needs to stay separate from the MCU.
    Sounds like a cinematic universe to me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I don't see the relevancy? Besides, Sony is making a Spider-Man-only cinematic universe as we speak that the Spider-Verse movie is technically a part of...

Sony have no plans to introduce characters who are not spiderman characters. (No, X-Men, No Hulk, No Iron Man etcs) and its best that way. Spiderman does not need a diluted universe. The less appearances the better.

Sounds like a cinematic universe to me.
    It is not a cinematic universe as MCU is built.

Transformers, Lion King, Shrek, Fast and Furious, Harry Potter are similar to what sony wants to do. MCU is a collection of a different series in a cinematic universe. It is not the same as spiderman.

is a spiderman game the same as a marvel alliance game?

BANNED

Sony have no plans to introduce characters who are not spiderman characters. (No, X-Men, No Hulk, No Iron Man etcs) and its best that way. Spiderman does not need a diluted universe. The less appearances the better.
    Sony has no plans because they can't do that even if they wanted to. The rights for those characters belong with Marvel. They only have access to Spider-Man and his world. And to the extent you want the crossover stuff, the live-action MCU movies (which are Sony-Disney co-productions) do that anyway.

ITSV did have plans early on for a Dr. Strange cameo but they veto'd it quickly since they don't have access to that character.

It is not a cinematic universe as MCU is built.

Transformers, Lion King, Shrek, Fast and Furious, Harry Potter are similar to what sony wants to do. MCU is a collection of a different series in a cinematic universe. It is not the same as spiderman.

is a spiderman game the same as a marvel alliance game?
    I don't see the difference between a a series made of different franchises in the same setting and one made of installments based on one franchise.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Sony has no plans because they can't do that even if they wanted to. The rights for those characters belong with Marvel. They only have access to Spider-Man and his world. And to the extent you want the crossover stuff, the live-action MCU movies (which are Sony-Disney co-productions) do that anyway.

ITSV did have plans early on for a Dr. Strange cameo but they veto'd it quickly since they don't have access to that character.
    Sony doesn't need to either. Spider-Man has a wonderful universe. the less diluted the better. it's a blessing Sony does not have the rights to other marvel characters. sony focusing on Spider-Man characters is healthier. Any MCU addition would have ruined this movie.

I don't see the difference between a a series made of different franchises in the same setting and one made of installments based on one franchise.
    There is a difference. the difference is as distinct as the Spider-Man movie universe of Sam Raimi and the MCU universe movies of kevin feige.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 02-01-2019 at 08:46 AM.

BANNED

Sony doesn't need to either. Spider-Man has a wonderful universe. the less diluted the better. it's a blessing Sony does not have the rights to other marvel characters. sony focusing on Spider-Man characters is healthier. Any MCU addition would have ruined this movie.
    I agree that Spider-Man works best as a solo hero with little crossover and spillover to and from other heroes and other characters.

There are some iconic stories and events where Spider-Man goes against people outside his corner. The Juggernaut, Dr. Doom, Firelord. You also have Spider-Man's long status and history as the "fifth beatle" of the Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man still feels like Spider-Man when he crosses over with the FF than he does with other characters. Like Iron Man basically makes him "robin".

In the old days it was generally understood by editors and writers that the Shared Universe was mostly a gentleman's agreement. Team-ups and crossovers (in fact the first one was invented in the '80s, Secret Wars) did not spill over into the regular continuity like they do in marvel since the 2000s where Civil War basically became this story that infected every Marvel title.

Crossovers and team-ups are largely to the benefit of characters, like Iron Man, who don't have a supporting cast and rogues gallery to spin many solo content around.

There is a difference. the difference is as distinct as the Spider-Man movie universe of Sam Raimi and the MCU universe movies of kevin feige.
    Into the Spider-Verse seems to have more in common with the MCU Avengers movies then with the Raimi Spider-Man movies -- in terms of plot, cast size, plans for the future, and whatnot.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Into the Spider-Verse seems to have more in common with the MCU Avengers movies then with the Raimi Spider-Man movies -- in terms of plot, cast size, plans for the future, and whatnot.
    It's different from both. But it has more in common with Raimi's movies than Avengers.

In The Avengers all the heroes team up to defeat the bad guy. In this one, Miles Morales gets rid of all the Spiders and then takes out the bad guy all by himself. It is essentially the story of Miles Morales whereas the first Avengers and Infinity War were ensemble movies (Age of Ultron was more Tony Stark and the Avengers are all invited).

Avengers literally ends with a shot of Thanos smiling to the audience...Into the Spider-Verse ends with what its own script described as the "most expensive dumb joke in film history" with no real teases for villains and ideas in the future. I mean yeah its franchisable but in the same way everyone looked at Black Panther and said they want a Dora Milaje movie.

As Patrick Willems said on twitter after ITSV, It's great to see a real Spider-Man movie after seeing MCU's billionaire's intern cosplaying as Spider-Man. HE was being overly snarky and mocking but it's basically apt.

And you know MCU Peter is basically Whiteboy Miles.

Mighty Member

The difference lies within worldbuilding and perspective. A shared universe follows multiple perspective. For example, the first cinematic universe, the Universal Monsters, followed the perspectives of the titular monsters, but followed the same line of worldbuilding and themes of horror.

It's different from both. But it has more in common with Raimi's movies than Avengers.

In The Avengers all the heroes team up to defeat the bad guy. In this one, Miles Morales gets rid of all the Spiders and then takes out the bad guy all by himself. It is essentially the story of Miles Morales whereas the first Avengers and Infinity War were ensemble movies (Age of Ultron was more Tony Stark and the Avengers are all invited).
    Maybe?

Avengers literally ends with a shot of Thanos smiling to the audience...Into the Spider-Verse ends with what its own script described as the "most expensive dumb joke in film history" with no real teases for villains and ideas in the future. I mean yeah its franchisable but in the same way everyone looked at Black Panther and said they want a Dora Milaje movie.
    Yeah?

As Patrick Willems said on twitter after ITSV, It's great to see a real Spider-Man movie after seeing MCU's billionaire's intern cosplaying as Spider-Man. HE was being overly snarky and mocking but it's basically apt.
    Can't say I agree with that.

And you know MCU Peter is basically Whiteboy Miles.
    No, aside from Ned as Ganke (and maybe the school), MCU Peter is basically Ultimate Peter with a few unique bits.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    The difference lies within worldbuilding and perspective. A shared universe follows multiple perspective. For example, the first cinematic universe, the Universal Monsters, followed the perspectives of the titular monsters, but followed the same line of worldbuilding and themes of horror.
    Like how were getting a Spider-Gwen spinoff in the future?
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member FeliciaSpidey's Avatar

No,they look similar just because Miles Morales is black Peter Parker in comic.

Mighty Member

Like how were getting a Spider-Gwen spinoff in the future?
    Exactly. Considering we're also exploring different universes in that case, we could get different worlds to build off of.

No, aside from Ned as Ganke (and maybe the school), MCU Peter is basically Ultimate Peter with a few unique bits.
    I don't really see a lot of Ultimate Pete in MCU Peter. Not enough angst and quips.

I guess he's still terrible about keeping his secret identity, but that was a Bendis thing (look at how quickly people learn Peter and Miles' identity under his pen).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, we haven't had a solo Hulk movie since 2008 because Marvel doesn't want to pay anything to Universal, which is probably the biggest reason on that front.
    Interesting! I never knew that. I've been wondering why the very obvious step of a Hulk solo movie with Ruffalo hadn't been taken.