Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ora Voglio Il Tuo Ritorno: Helena Bertinelli/Huntress Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This is a continuation of the previous "Ora Voglio Il Tuo Ritorno: Helena Bertinelli/Huntress Appreciation" thread, which can be read here:
    From the previous version of this thread (started by beetlebum in 2014),

Benvenuti nel nuovo thread!

Now ... who is Helena Bertinelli, you might ask?

The Huntress is a vigilante operating out of Gotham City, and a member of the Batman Family. She is also a devout Catholic, and is very in touch with her Italian heritage. Her career is inspired by a personal vendetta against organized crime, responsible for killing her entire family. At first, her ruthless methods and willingness to kill made her an outcast from the heroic community, but in time she learned to temper her methods and became accepted by her peers. She has also been a member of the Justice League and the Birds of Prey. [Source]

Why celebrate Helena Bertinelli?: Because she's a complex and fascinating figure. Because she encompasses nearly every Italian stereotype you can think of, while also managing to subvert them by being multilayered and three-dimensional. In addition to this, she's anti-ableism, loyal, selfless and stubborn. Did I also mention that she's great with kids and a snazzy dresser?
    The original post does list a few other sites to check if you want to see for yourself, but one of those (http://helenabertinelli.com) came up as
    This page can’t be displayed
    when I last tried it.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

DIG019118_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

The Huntress (1989-1990) #1
    Featuring the first appearance of Helena Bertinelli, the heroine known as the Huntress! Who is the woman behind the mask in this all-new version of one of DC's most popular heroines?

Credits
    Written by
    Joey Cavalieri

Pencils
    Joe Staton

Inks
    Dick Giordano
    Bruce Patterson

Colored by
    Nansi Hoolahan

Cover by
    Joe Staton

Page Count
    23 Pages

Print Release Date
    January 17 1989

Age Rating
    12+ Only

Copyright
    1989 DC Comics.

Where is she now? I didn’t follow the Rebirth BOP series and I’m not sure she’s appeared after the series ended.
    I’d love to see Huntress back in a series.

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    Where is she now? I didn’t follow the Rebirth BOP series and I’m not sure she’s appeared after the series ended.
    I’d love to see Huntress back in a series.
    I think she was appearing in Constantine's solo book afterwards, but that's about it.

I wonder if they'll reboot her back to her old Post-Crisis design to tie-in to the Birds of Prey movie...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think she was appearing in Constantine's solo book afterwards, but that's about it.

I wonder if they'll reboot her back to her old Post-Crisis design to tie-in to the Birds of Prey movie...
    Thanks! I’ll take the old design!

from Batman Secret Files #1 (October 1997)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

She had one or two issues where she was a guest in The Unexpected, but it was too confusing for me, so I didn't read it.

I can't believe I didn't know there was a new one of these! Probably my second favorite character!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    DIG019118_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

The Huntress (1989-1990) #1
    Featuring the first appearance of Helena Bertinelli, the heroine known as the Huntress! Who is the woman behind the mask in this all-new version of one of DC's most popular heroines?

Credits
    Written by
    Joey Cavalieri

Pencils
    Joe Staton

Inks
    Dick Giordano
    Bruce Patterson

Colored by
    Nansi Hoolahan

Cover by
    Joe Staton

Page Count
    23 Pages

Print Release Date
    January 17 1989

Age Rating
    12+ Only

Copyright
    1989 DC Comics.
    I've always liked Huntress but never went through her comics. But I just started reading her series starting with this issue. Really liking it so far. Very well done and a lot of nuance to Helena. I wish they would bring her back. Another casualty of the crap New 52.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I've always liked Huntress but never went through her comics. But I just started reading her series starting with this issue. Really liking it so far. Very well done and a lot of nuance to Helena. I wish they would bring her back. Another casualty of the crap New 52.
    I love Helena Bertinelli, but I find her original series really painful in many ways. Both in content and just the way the world is built.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I love Helena Bertinelli, but I find her original series really painful in many ways. Both in content and just the way the world is built.
    I really like it. It reminds me of those great mob movies from the 80s.

I also really like how Helena is written. I was familiar with Helena before but to read her in detail as not your typical do gooder is nice. She's a unique character with a different back story and motivations then the average super hero.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    That belly window, though.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

What is the consensus on the 1989 Joe Staton, Joey Cavalieri penned Huntress ongoing? Is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    What is the consensus on the 1989 Joe Staton, Joey Cavalieri penned Huntress ongoing? Is it any good?
    Several are fans in this thread. I am sadly not one of them - the art is too angular for me, and the whole concept just doesn't grab me the way later incarnations of her character did. Chuck Dixon's miniseries in the 90s tried to recast the story into a more continuity friendly light, and then Rucka recast it again in a much more, well, Rucka-friendly (and O'Neil Question) light, then Madison Ivy did a sorta clumsy rewrite of Rucka, incorporating a Birds of Prey angle in with Year One...

Basic point - I don't like the original series that much, but even if you do like it, Helena's origins were rewritten a LOT after it concluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I just started reading it and I'm really liking it. Read the fourth issue today. It's pretty intense and dark though and has a very 80s gangster movie vibe. Helena is also a very complex character. Tragic and heroic at the same time . Even the costume is growing on me. I don't know how the rest of the series will turn out but so far I'm really enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Several are fans in this thread. I am sadly not one of them - the art is too angular for me, and the whole concept just doesn't grab me the way later incarnations of her character did. Chuck Dixon's miniseries in the 90s tried to recast the story into a more continuity friendly light, and then Rucka recast it again in a much more, well, Rucka-friendly (and O'Neil Question) light, then Madison Ivy did a sorta clumsy rewrite of Rucka, incorporating a Birds of Prey angle in with Year One...

Basic point - I don't like the original series that much, but even if you do like it, Helena's origins were rewritten a LOT after it concluded.
    It sounds like Dixon is probably the best version. I'll probably seek out some Batman 90s comics to read more about her since Helena doesn't have her solo series then. Dixon is always gold. As for the rest of it, frankly, from the way your describing it, it sounds very convoluted. I'll probably still check them.out but don't know if it will be a part of my head canon.