Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    It sounds like Dixon is probably the best version. I'll probably seek out some Batman 90s comics to read more about her since Helena doesn't have her solo series then. Dixon is always gold. As for the rest of it, frankly, from the way your describing it, it sounds very convoluted. I'll probably still check them.out but don't know if it will be a part of my head canon.
    For my money, Rucka's is the best version, just because he's the strongest writer of the group. Dixon's is good, but it's torn between the kind of story Dixon likes to tell and his attempts to reframe the original story.

Don't let my kvetching scare you away from Cry for Blood, Birds of Prey, or Year One. Year One is definitely the weakest, but it has really nice art by Cliff Richards (one of my favorites), and the Birds of Prey stuff is really fun for a fan of that series.

Cry for Blood is a really excellent work - one of the best Rucka's ever done, with sublime, minimally colored noir art by Rick Burchett, which really pushes a lot of great storytelling past what's expected. It's the best of Rucka's Detective Comics run without a lot of the worst elements (mostly Batman's characterization as that run went on).

The core of my Huntress, though, is always Gail Simone's Birds of Prey, particularly 57-108. 100% recommend!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

All-New Member

I'm so excited for the film! Though I don't understand the whole controversy about Mary Elizabeth Winstead being cast as Helena. Apparently some people were talking about she was "white washed"? Helena is still suppose to of European ancestry, though given the genetic history of her ethnicity she likely has Middle Eastern/North African ancestry mixed in there. Many governments of countries in North/South America still recognize people of Middle Easterns/North African ancestry as "white". So Helena's still "white".

But whatever. "white" is a silly term. A lot of Asians have literal "white" skin but apparently they aren't "white". And there are other non European ethnic groups who have pale skin but aren't "white" either.

Oddly enough I was just pondering how Italian Winstead looks or doesn’t look...
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Huntress

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I'm so excited for the film! Though I don't understand the whole controversy about Mary Elizabeth Winstead being cast as Helena. Apparently some people were talking about she was "white washed"? Helena is still suppose to of European ancestry, though given the genetic history of her ethnicity she likely has Middle Eastern/North African ancestry mixed in there. Many governments of countries in North/South America still recognize people of Middle Easterns/North African ancestry as "white". So Helena's still "white".

But whatever. "white" is a silly term. A lot of Asians have literal "white" skin but apparently they aren't "white". And there are other non European ethnic groups who have pale skin but aren't "white" either.
    It also depends on which version of Helena Bertinelli you're working off of as to how "white" she looks.

Original (pre-New52) version of Helena Bertinelli:

On the topic of Helena as a WOC, her visual portrayal in the series GRAYSON:Agent of Spyral depicted her as darker skinned than usual with intention of giving her a distinctive curly haired, olive-skinned Sicilian appearance. Discussion of Helena being race-swapped was common during its publication...
    https://comicbook.com/blog/2014/05/2...rayson-series/
    https://www.cbr.com/grayson-an-itali...of-skin-color/

It didn’t last much beyond that series...

Also, Helena's pictured in the picture Tom King just tweeted from Tec 1000!

https://twitter.com/tomkingtk/status...211436033?s=21
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Last edited by Thirteen; 02-12-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I like her body language that conveys her bad assery, but I hope this is not the final look and she gets an actual costume.

Also just finished the first arc of the 89 series and it was awesome. Very cinematic. I definitely could see this being a great movie. Now that Helena has completed her origin story I'm excited to see where she goes next.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Hate to say it, but the date of "11" in the bottom corner and the extra stuff on that mask makes this look more like the Helena Wayne version of Huntress from the New52.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hate to say it, but the date of "11" in the bottom corner and the extra stuff on that mask makes this look more like the Helena Wayne version of Huntress from the New52.
    I think it's just as likely to be a commission of either Bertinelli or Wayne, since the costume is not one that's every been used in that exact combination of elements by either.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Also, Helena's pictured in the picture Tom King just tweeted from Tec 1000!

https://twitter.com/tomkingtk/status...211436033?s=21
    It's nice to see Huntress acknowledged, if only in a panel.

I'm really curious what the future holds for Helena Bertinelli in her current iteration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Crossbow aside...this really doesn't feel like Huntress to me.

I mean, even beyond the lack of costume, supposedly she's a mob enforcer. Which is, like, the most un-Huntress thing I have ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's nice to see Huntress acknowledged, if only in a panel.

I'm really curious what the future holds for Helena Bertinelli in her current iteration.

Crossbow aside...this really doesn't feel like Huntress to me.

I mean, even beyond the lack of costume, supposedly she's a mob enforcer. Which is, like, the most un-Huntress thing I have ever heard.
    Is that what they're doing with Huntress? Ugh. Almost makes me wish for the Arrow Jessica De Gouw version (though Jessica was always a good actress, it was just horribly written).

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Is that what they're doing with Huntress? Ugh. Almost makes me wish for the Arrow Jessica De Gouw version (though Jessica was always a good actress, it was just horribly written).
    She was fine up until they really started to ratchet-up the crazy and have her hurt innocent people just to have her be an antagonist to make Ollie look more like a hero.

They definitely did not handle her as well as they could have.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She was fine up until they really started to ratchet-up the crazy and have her hurt innocent people just to have her be an antagonist to make Ollie look more like a hero.

They definitely did not handle her as well as they could have.
    Yeah, the writing designed to make Ollie look good was very frustrating. But it was still the only Huntress (Bertinelli version) we had at the time...