Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you like you Batman

How do you like your Batman? As the dark and brooding Dark Knight or the Light Knight from the 60s and 70s? I have to say I enjoy him more as the Light Knight. He works better in teams and works well with the police. I think they try to hard to make him dark and just really over do it at times. its like some writers dont know how to handle him dark.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Not too Dark or somewhere in between the 60's guy and the very dark.

I also like Bruce who isn't cruel to his family.

The one from the 70s and 80s, characterization wise, that was the best version.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

I was introduced to Batman through TAS so to me that remains the ideal version of the character. A character shrouded in darkness but an unquestionably noble and heroic figure behind it all. A man who lives a violent life but doesn't let the darkness bog him down too much.

Dark for sure, but not too dark. Look at animation, BTAS got him perfectly, as have a lot of the DTVs - even in a film as dark as Under the Red Hood we see him caring for Dick and Jason, and even smiling a couple times. The adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns, as dark and brutal as it gets, shows him caring for Carrie Kelly (the scene where she almost falls off the Batwing and after he catches her he reassures her with "Good soldier", amongst other scenes). Basically I like him to be dark and brooding, but still able to show he really cares for the people important in his life. The man can make friends and family, and even quip a joke or two (he has a very dry wit).

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

TAS, because it's the version that can handle both Dick Sprang and Frank Miller.
    Miller was right.

Astonishing Member

Another vote for Batman: The Animated Series.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Medium rare, with a hint of vermouth.

Bronze Age, Pre-COIE Batman

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Another TAS vote, TAS all the way !

I like Batman somewhere between TAS and Frank Miller. I want him pretty dark and full of psychosis but not quite so far gone that he's actually out of his mind and *completely* unlivable. But Batman, in my opinion, shouldn't be a likable person.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Some combo of BTAS, Nolan, and Arkhamverse with a little Miller sprinkled in

Empty is thy hand!

Batman needs balance. It's a hard character to root for if he's constantly wallowing in his psychosis.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

As Dick Grayson

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Similar to how he was in the original seasons of BTAS and pre-Crisis/the Bronze age: dark, mysterious and brooding, but not a complete asshole. Who, while not perfect, still clearly loves and respects his inner circle and superhero colleagues.

If he gets darker than that, I have trouble giving a shit about him. Latter DCAU Batman and post-Crisis Batman (especially in the early 2000s) just becomes so bland the darker he gets. Bat-God is also easier to swallow when he's actually fun (and not the only God on the JL).

I like my Batman cyberpunk and born of problematic genetic manipulation.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."