Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Failing that, I guess Ranma could try and see if Armstrong's durability would work against tickling, or use the Parley du Foie Gras to cause Armstrong to choke on handfuls of sand, or maybe his own shirt, the moment he opens his mouth.
    Oh my god, I forgot about Fois Gras! That would be annoying.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I don't know... I've been looking at a Ranma respect thread to try and get an idea of his hitting power and I've not seen anything to suggest that he's able to hit harder than Raiden. Remember, Raiden full on went Kenshiro on Armstrong's chest and did literally nothing to him. I'm dubious that someone who seems physically weaker than Raiden is going to have more success with punching him.

Like look at it:

Again, Raiden is a dude who throws around building sized mecha and can wield a sword the size of multiple train cars and he's not even moving Armstrong. Ranma's best strength feats that I could find were significantly below Raiden, I'm obviously open to having more presented, so I don't see how he's hurting him.

You're probably correct.

Strength feats for Ranma include stuff like 'Supporting Ryoga standing on his head while Ryoga waves around well-more than a hundred tons of ice in the air', back at a time before some explicit power-ups for Ranma and when he was injured.

Working with the hitting power for Ranma...the difference between hitting someone a few hundred times in the chest and what Ranma does, is Ranma hits the exact same spot a few hundred times. The important point to this was that he hurt Ryouga with these attacks on a day when Ryouga was taking single punches that sent him flying more than a hundred feet, whereupon Ryouga hit a cliff wall still going UP in his arc, and hit it so hard that the cliff collapsed on him, whereupon untold tons of rock fell on him, from which Ryouga popped up giggling, noting it was like taking a hit from a baby (not an exaggeration, he really wasn't at all hurt from any of that). Again, several powerups ago.

How this compares...assuming Ranma can hit hard enough to slowly wear down the nanomachines, like Raiden did, then he's going to take this. It takes a LOT to get Ranma tired, and he's not going to need to go full-out to avoid Armstrong's physical attacks, being far-and-away more fast than Armstrong.

But he has to have the capacity to wear down the nanomachines, otherwise it's the old 1 000 000 hits x 0 damage is still 0 situation.

Can he? That's the question.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Ranma, as a girl, blitzed a massive multi ton boulder underwater into the Orochis mouth before it could bite akane. And he made it look like he was basically moving a pillow.

As fast as Raidens punches were, they were not “I punch water so fast my hands dont get wet” fast

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Ranma, as a girl, blitzed a massive multi ton boulder underwater into the Orochis mouth before it could bite akane. And he made it look like he was basically moving a pillow.

As fast as Raidens punches were, they were not “I punch water so fast my hands dont get wet” fast
    it's not the fact they aren't as fast as what ranma can do. it's the damage output. this is MGR raiden, a guy who judo tosses giant metal gears and wields building sized blades that can he swing at incredible speeds. and like nik said, he going kenshiro on armstrong and it doing absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    it's not the fact they aren't as fast as what ranma can do. it's the damage output. this is MGR raiden, a guy who judo tosses giant metal gears and wields building sized blades that can he swing at incredible speeds. and like nik said, he going kenshiro on armstrong and it doing absolutely nothing.
    The thing about going Kenshiro, is that I'm not sure what that means. Does it mean he's hitting him at blazing speeds all over his chest? Or hitting him 500x in one specific point in a way that (somehow) multiplies the force? Because the latter is what Ranma does.

Again, on a day when Ryouga is literally laughing off shots that smash him into a cliff face with enough force that a large chunk of said cliff face collapses on him (not just rolls over him, it FALLS on him, and leaves him completely unharmed and giggling when he pops out of the vast pile of rubble like an insane jack-in-the-box), Ranma takes him flat out with something like three or four multi-punch strikes (I'm not calling it the amiguriken, that's an anime thing; the kachuu tenshin amiguriken wasn't a technique in the manga, it was a speed training method).

That's a huge jump, from 'I completely can't hurt him (also cliff face)' to 'yeah, three or four attacks and he's done.'

Basically, the question becomes 'can Ranma wear down the nanomachines like Raiden did?' If so, he likely wins. If not, he loses.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-16-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    The thing about going Kenshiro, is that I'm not sure what that means. Does it mean he's hitting him at blazing speeds all over his chest? Or hitting him 500x in one specific point in a way that (somehow) multiplies the force? Because the latter is what Ranma does.

Again, on a day when Ryouga is literally laughing off shots that smash him into a cliff face with enough force that a large chunk of said cliff face collapses on him (not just rolls over him, it FALLS on him, and leaves him completely unharmed and giggling when he pops out of the vast pile of rubble like an insane jack-in-the-box), Ranma takes him flat out with something like three or four multi-punch strikes (I'm not calling it the amiguriken, that's an anime thing, the kachuu tenshin amiguriken wasn't a technique in the manga, it was a speed training method).

That's a huge jump, from 'I completely can't hurt him (also cliff face)' to 'yeah, three or four attacks and he's done.'

Basically, the question becomes 'can Ranma wear down the nanomachines like Raiden did?' If so, he likely wins. If not, he loses.
    i personally interpret as just punching him really hard really fast.

or would the better descriptor be "going jotaro"?

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Failing that, I guess Ranma could try and see if Armstrong's durability would work against tickling, or use the Parley du Foie Gras to cause Armstrong to choke on handfuls of sand, or maybe his own shirt, the moment he opens his mouth.
    Yeah Parley du Foie Gras should probably win this even if a thousand precisely targeted super speed punches or a Hiryu Shoten Ha variation won’t. Ranma certainly isn’t above using it for that matter.

Armstrong’s nanomachines are like a responsive defense, right? Hardening in response to damage. Can they keep up with Ranma’s speed?

Anyway, I’d like to see this fight happen in character because I’d like to see Armstrong trying to get Ranma on his side and Ranma trying to play along because maybe nanomachines can cure curses and then more and more of the Nerima crew starts showing up and you know the rest.

Edit: and like sharp said, multi punching is a force multiplier for Ranma
    Last edited by BitVyper; 01-16-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

i personally interpret as just punching him really hard really fast.

or would the better descriptor be "going jotaro"?
    Okay, so that's really not the same thing as what Ranma does when he beats all hell out of seemingly-indestructible Ryouga. So the question is, is it enough?

Edit: Sadly, I don't know Jotaro.

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Yeah Parley du Foie Gras should probably win this even if a thousand precisely targeted super speed punches or a Hiryu Shoten Ha variation won’t. Ranma certainly isn’t above using it for that matter.
    Alternately this. Armstrong still needs to breathe, right? He's going to have a hard time doing that when his mouth and throat are constantly full.

Anyway, I’d like to see this fight happen in character because I’d like to see Armstrong trying to get Ranma on his side and Ranma trying to play along because maybe nanomachines can cure curses and then more and more of the Nerima crew starts showing up and you know the rest.
    Amusing thought. Most of them would be...well, nothing to Armstrong (just like they're nothing to Ranma), but some of them would be problematic. And the entire bunch would probably just drive him crazy. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I’d just like to think that seeing the NWC in action causes Armstrong to perhaps rethink his positions re: Every man waging his own war
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

I’d just like to think that seeing the NWC in action causes Armstrong to perhaps rethink his positions re: Every man waging his own war
    Hmm, chaos.
    Why are we here?

Okay, so that's really not the same thing as what Ranma does when he beats all hell out of seemingly-indestructible Ryouga. So the question is, is it enough?

Edit: Sadly, I don't know Jotaro.

Alternately this. Armstrong still needs to breathe, right? He's going to have a hard time doing that when his mouth and throat are constantly full.

Amusing thought. Most of them would be...well, nothing to Armstrong (just like they're nothing to Ranma), but some of them would be problematic. And the entire bunch would probably just drive him crazy. ^_^
    i can't say. i know very little about ranma, outside of this thread. so i'm not the one to say if he can or can't win against him.

his position was really more about people not being told what to fight for and just having the freedom to choose. remember, it's only 4 years since the patriot feel out of power. the world no longer has some shadowly cabal of people pulling the strings of world destiny anymore.

i can't say. i know very little about ranma, outside of this thread. so i'm not the one to say if he can or can't win against him.
    I don't really know enough about the MG side of things. :) Only played Solid and Solid 2 (which was frustrating both in story and gameplay, so that was that).
    Why are we here?

I don't really know enough about the MG side of things. Only played Solid and Solid 2 (which was frustrating both in story and gameplay, so that was that).
    3 was a gamechanger, in both story and gameplay.

4 was............well, it had good gameplay, when you got to play it.

5 was a total mess. had great gameplay, the best of the series IMO. the story was just weak as hell. and considering the stories about what was going on behind the scenes from a friend of mine who worked on the game, it was a bad way to end the series.

3 was a gamechanger, in both story and gameplay.

4 was............well, it had good gameplay, when you got to play it.

5 was a total mess. had great gameplay, the best of the series IMO. the story was just weak as hell. and considering the stories about what was going on behind the scenes from a friend of mine who worked on the game, it was a bad way to end the series.
    Sounds...crappy.

Pity - I really loved MGS, waaaaay back on my Playstation.
    Why are we here?