View Poll Results: You've read the first 3 issues of Morrison's The Green Lantern and...

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm hooked! This is going to be great!

24 52.17%
  • I'm enjoying it so far, I'll get #4

13 28.26%
  • I'm 50/50 so far, not sure if I'll stick with it

4 8.70%
  • its not for me, I won't be reading #4

5 10.87%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default You've read the first 3 issues of Morrison's The Green Lantern and you....

If you've read all 3 issues of Grant Morrison's The Green Lantern, which one of these best describes how you feel?

Astonishing Member

Can't wait for issue 4 to come out.

Mighty Member

I was really excited for it before it came out and now three issues in it's better than I could have imagined. I'm definitely hooked

Always Rakzo

Surprisingly better than I expected.

You never know what kind of Morrison you're going to get, the ultra dull Action Comics Morrison or the incredibly inventive Multiversity Morrison. Fortunately, The Green Lantern seems like is following the latter's route and delivering on the "Space Cop" premise by exploring interesting and complex aspects of it that show how complicated life as a policeman can be which gives a new depth to the character of Hal Jordan. Even Liam Sharp's art is a good fit for this premise thanks to his bizarre creatures despite that his storytelling can be a little messy at times.

Mind you, I don't know what I can expect from the future since this could as well end like Multiversity and ruin a perfectly good story because of Morrison's adherence to his own themes but so far, so frikking good.

It's been enjoyable. I like how Morrison mixes up the more grounded approach of police procedural with the outlandish Silver Age insanity. You have Hal arresting criminals for slave trading on the cosmic black market, except the criminals happen to be some immortal planet-eating monsters. I'm still kind of getting used to Hal's characterization here since he's not really the brash, assertive, blazingly defiant go getter I'm mostly familiar with. I like that the series also really accentuates on his experience, but at times it feels like he is so experienced that he just goes through the motions in some state of boredom. Overall that's minor nitpicking, thus far the book has been really good.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-13-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Retired

I've only read the first two issues. Will try to get to a comic shop this month and hopefully they have GL 3 in stock. I enjoy it well enough, but with all modern comics I am always frustrated that the writers can't bring themselves to write captions that explain what's going on. This has always been the problem for me with Morrison. I know it's artistic, but sometimes I just want to know what's going on in the story and I don't want to have to strain my brain to figure it out. Visual story telling only gets you so far. A nicely written caption helps to fill in the gaps.