View Poll Results: Favorite Injustice Society members (Golden Age to CoIE)

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brain Wave (Henry King, Sr.)

11 30.56%
  • Fiddler (Isaac Bowin)

3 8.33%
  • Gambler (Steven Sharpe III)

2 5.56%
  • Harlequin (Molly Mayne)

8 22.22%
  • Icicle (Joar Mahkent)

5 13.89%
  • Per Degaton

9 25.00%
  • Shade (Richard Swift)

16 44.44%
  • Solomon Grundy

19 52.78%
  • Sportsmaster (Lawrence Crock)

10 27.78%
  • Thinker (Clifford DeVoe)

4 11.11%
  • Tigress (Paula Brooks)

13 36.11%
  • Vandal Savage

18 50.00%
  • Wizard (William Zard)

9 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite Injustice Society members (Golden Age to CoIE)

Based on the various "Injustice Society (of the World)" line-ups from their first Golden Age appearance (All Star Comics #37 in 1947) until Crisis on Infinite Earths in 1985, who were your favorite members?

Possibilities are:
    Brain Wave (Henry King, Sr.)
    Fiddler (Isaac Bowin)
    Gambler (Steven Sharpe III)
    Harlequin (Molly Mayne)
    Icicle (Joar Mahkent)
    Per Degaton
    Shade (Richard Swift)
    Solomon Grundy
    Sportsmaster (Lawrence Crock)
    Thinker (Clifford DeVoe)
    Tigress (Paula Brooks)
    Vandal Savage
    Wizard (William Zard)

Don't forget, these are the ones said to be members during various Golden Age / Silver Age / Bronze Age appearances; we're not talking about members specifically of "Injustice Unlimited" or any other, later versions of the Injustice Society.

Also note: while Harlequin (Molly Mayne) may not be a true "villain", she was invited to be a member during their second appearance (in All Star Comics #41 in 1948).

No posts yet, but for those people that have voted,
    * Solomon Grundy
    * Sportsmaster (Lawrence Crock)
    * Tigress (Paula Brooks)
    are the early leaders.

Grundy all the way.

never noticed how much Brainwave resembles Dr. Sivana.

kinda cool that Vandal Savage is back to being one of DC's leaders of villain organizations. the animated movies regularly have him as the leader of the Legion of Doom.

I gave Per Degaton a bullet. He's great because he's dangerous and can mess up time, but he's NOT potent enough to be a "multi-versal crossover everybody and their third cousin event" big baddie. A nice Golden Age level of danger.

Plus, I always loved that scene where Roosevelt and company get a VCR and tape to play Degaton's demands and they all panic because it's "made in Japan".

Vandal Savage

Great post MajorHoy... I was just thinking last night about posting a topic about who you'd like to see as members of the Injustice Society whenever they return with the Justice Society.

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

You know what? i love the JSA villains as much as the JSA heroes.
    Brainwave, Degaton, Shade, Solomon Grundy, Vandal Savage and Wizard are among my all time favorite characters.

Ultimate Member

I didn't think much of Sportsmaster until the Young Justice cartoon inexplicably made him a badass. Now he's right up there with old favorites like the Wizard and Vandal Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Great post MajorHoy... I was just thinking last night about posting a topic about who you'd like to see as members of the Injustice Society whenever they return with the Justice Society.
    Well, don't forget later post-CoIE versions had many other members, like:
    * Artemis / later Tigress (Artemis Crock) - Daughter of the original Tigress and Sportsmaster
    * Black Adam
    * Blackbriar Thorn
    * Count Vertigo
    * Dummy
    * Gentleman Ghost
    * Geomancer
    * Harlequin (Marcie Cooper)
    * Hazard (Rebecca "Becky" Sharpe) - granddaughter of the Gambler
    * Icicle (Cameron Mahkent) - Son of first Icicle with freezing powers
    * Johnny Sorrow
    * Kestrel
    * Killer Wasp
    * Rag Doll
    * Rival
    * Shiv
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injust...ety#Membership

I’d love to see these characters as members of the Injustice Society when JSA gets rebooted:

- Vandal Savage
    - Thorn (the GL foe)
    - Ultra-Humanite
    - Wizard
    - Sportsmaster, Huntress, and Tigress (I think it’s be interesting to have a family on the team.)
    - Wotan
    - Solomon Grundy
    - Icicle
    - Harlequin
    - Rag Doll
    - Shade
    - Count Vertigo

I like a big team with a rotating cast.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I picked six, since that was the original number of baddies from the original team. Since I like all of them, it was tough weeding out the best, but (in alphabetical order)...

Shade
    Solomon Grundy
    Sportsmaster
    Tigress
    Vandal Savage
    Wizard
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    - Thorn (the GL foe)
    Actually, I believe Thorn (Rose Canton) was more of a Flash (Jay Garrick) foe.

Alan Scott just happened to marry Rose Canton when she assumed a new identity: Alyx Florin.
    And she later gave birth to Alan's children (Jade and Obsidian) after she had run away from Alan, fearing her returning Thorn personality would kill him. (All that was revealed back in the days of the original Infinity, Inc.)

Retired

Several of these guys got better treatment after Crisis. So I tried not to let any of the post-COIE stuff affect my decision. And thus I ended up splitting my vote between Solomon Grundy and Vandal Savage, who I would say were the top big baddies pre-COIE. Sol has continued to get good treatment, but I'm not sure I'd say the same for Van. I like the pre-COIE Savage stories better.

Was Huntress called Tigress pre-COIE? Or were there two different characters that were conflated into one? I think the '70s Sportsmaster and Huntress stories were mainly about their Earth-One counterparts and not the actual Earth-Two partners. But the idea of a husband and wife crime couple was a really good one.

Shade, of course, got much better treatment after Crisis thanks to the STARMAN comics and his own limited runs.

I think I have such a high opinion of Savage and Grundy, because they featured in a few comics that served as my introduction to Earth-Two and the Justice Society. Grundy in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 91 (August '71) and 92 (September '71), Savage in THE FLASH 213 (March '72) and 215 (May '72).

Although, I actually first encountered Solomon Grundy in BATMAN No. 194 (August '67), when Bruce was battling Blockbuster--but I didn't understand the significance at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    . . . Was Huntress called Tigress pre-COIE? Or were there two different characters that were conflated into one?
    As far as I'm aware, there was a Golden Age DC villainess called "Tigress", but she was actually an adversary of Zatara the Magician (showing up originally in the very first issue of Action Comics).

When the Huntress originally appeared (Sensation Comics#68, August 1947), she was called the "Masked Marvel" when she first fought Wildcat, but later in that same story revealed she was The Huntress.

She wasn't called "Tigress" until Roy Thomas' Young All-Stars, where a younger, not-yet-villainess version of her worked with the team.

Retired

Okay, so I wasn't out to lunch. I thought there was another Tigress (beside the Blonde Tigress who fought Superman in the comic strips). but didn't remember which hero she always tangled with.