Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

24th is Aliens #1

Finally read my copy of Prometheus last night, it was pretty good; as has been pointed out the coloring was very well done, so much so that it greatly enhanced the frankly average art. We are introduced to a portion of what seems to be a very large expedition crew, and the mysteries start just a few pages in. That medical officer and the synth are up to no good.

Already Im having a couple of big questions, like when exactly did the colonists from LV426 take a trip to the neighboring moon? Did it happen at the behest of Weyland Yutani yet again? Heck, did the original "space jockey" ship crash landed on LV426 escaping from LV223 after the Engineers went back to check up on the mess left behind at the outpost?

Cant wait to find out.

Havok, you got to get Aliens #1, you'll love it and it will answer some of those questions. I'm totally impressed with the writing

Spectacular Member

I just read Prometheus #1 and Aliens #1, and these books are a pleasant surprise, especially in the hit-and-miss world of licensed comics. I was more intrigued by the exploration in the Prometheus book, with hints of violence and menace instead of outright action, than the full-on sprint of the Alien series. The nice thing about the Aliens book is that it gets right down to business, with total mayhem erupting in the first panel, but the downside is that the aliens have no real mystery. They're in full view, chomping the slow and unlucky. The main lesson of this story is that you don't have to outrun the bear; the important characters repeatedly run away as their colleagues are devoured in the background. It's economical set-up. The Prometheus book builds more dread, but it's not quite as pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by TFNN View Post
    Havok, you got to get Aliens #1, you'll love it and it will answer some of those questions. I'm totally impressed with the writing
    Good to know, thanks!

I have to wait for a bit tho, my trips to the LCS happen every three weeks due to distance and traffic. I'll post my thoughts when I catch up

All-New Member

While I agree with some post about how there were inconsistencies in character actions and plot (in Prometheus), I don't watch movies to rip apart the small details. I could probably find inconsistencies in almost any movie. That being said, I loved the movie. The general plot of the Engineers being the true creators of human kind and the exploration of those Engineers. The tie ins to Aliens were well established, however they felt new and expanded on the original Aliens universe. I enjoyed that fact that there were no "aliens", at least no HR Giger designed aliens. None of the aliens were incubated the same way as the original Alien saga. I also really likes a couple of the characters. David was a great character with a lot of little intricate subtleties to his dialogue. Elizabeth Shaw was another great character and I love the journey of her faith throughout the movie.

After reading Prometheus Fire and Stone, I felt like I was right back there in that world. They did a great job of making it feel true to the movie or an extension of the movie. I haven't read Alien #1 yet, but I am really looking forward to it. I have always enjoyed the Alien and Predator world and have been collecting these mini-series for year. I have a lot of high hopes for this crossover series!

Have they revealed who's drawing the epilogue one-shot with DeConnick yet?

AVP #1 was a miss for me. I think this event wasn't broken up in the best fashion and now some of the tension is cut due to the sequencing of the books.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    AVP #1 was a miss for me. I think this event wasn't broken up in the best fashion and now some of the tension is cut due to the sequencing of the books.
    Same. I thought it was really weird how you open it up and it says it takes place after Prometheus #4 but before Alien #1 or something like that. It's like... why not just release AVP after Prometheus has had its run then? It was confusing otherwise.

All that being said, still loving the artwork and the inking.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    Same. I thought it was really weird how you open it up and it says it takes place after Prometheus #4 but before Alien #1 or something like that. It's like... why not just release AVP after Prometheus has had its run then? It was confusing otherwise.

All that being said, still loving the artwork and the inking.
    Completely agree...

I had to go back and read Prometheus and Aliens to get my head straight.

Plus it gives away a portion of the story needlessly IMO. Now we know the doc with the health problem uses the black goo on the Elden... You can pretty much deduce what happens there.

Now how the Predators really fit in...

Plus does the cover elude to the Predators having not faced the Xenos before or did I just read that wrong?

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

This is a rebooting of the universe.. so the Preds have never encountered the Aliens before.

As for introducing the big bad in AvP is an odd choice it does make me interested in seeing how he was created in Prometheus.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Just thought I would share this with you guys, yesterday I went to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios in LA, they had an amazing AvP maze! Queen, Preds, and Aliens! So much fun. If you live near by and have an extra 70 bucks go check it out.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Pretty good issue. Xeno's thinned the herd pretty quick. Interesting to see an Enginner, wonder what the end game there will be?

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

I'm loving these books so far for the most part but I'm not crazy about the release strategy either. I agree that so far this would be working better if it was released /read maybe chronologically than the way its been published but maybe they're working on some stuff that'll make it pay off. It's hard to tell until it's over but I don't really see why they wouldn't have used the same teams and whatnot but just released it was a Fire and Stone weekly (that's pretty much what it seems like) or so rather than scrambling up the story.

Predator was pretty good. I actually just finished Predator vols 2 and 4, pray to the heavens and started on AvP vol 1.

Story makes more sense but it seems like with this release order some issues will tell the story of a different issue leaving kinda already knowing what happened before it's released.

The art is good. It's a good looking Predator.