Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Default Should DC kill off Diana in an epic manner and pass the Wonder Woman mantle..

Well DC did kill her off quietly in the 90s while Hippolyta took the mantle but then just as quietly and quickly brought Diana back to make an impact.

However, they are other characters like Captain Marvel and Flash who have successfully passed the mantle that their successors have become more popular than them.

Should DC instead of hard and soft rebooting her every couple of years just kill her off in an epic manner or give her Godhood and pass the mantle to a new character?

They could but it feels pointless. How many characters are there that could legitimately take her mantle like Wally West and Dick Grayson have? Donna? Eh I guess they could do a Death of Superman story and have several new characters vie for her legacy. I think something like this can only be done if WW has a consistent mythos going forward because killing of Wonder Woman to me just feels like it wouldn't work like it did when Batman and Superman were killed.

That said, there could be an amazing story with your premise. Anything is possible but I'm skeptical that it's a good idea

No me gusta. I still feel like we have SO MANY stories of Wonder that we haven’t gotten to yet with Diana.

It wouldn't last.

No. I just plain hate this practice. Only in extreme circumstances should it ever be used. Not everything needs to be a legacy identity just because. This would be a just because scenario. The Flash became what it became for a reason. Diana is not in the place Barry Allen was before the original Crisis. True her book has never been a fantastic seller, but the character herself if anything is becoming more popular today, not less.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

The aren't doing anything epic with her while she is alive. What makes you think think they'd do something epic for a kill off?

Astonishing Member

DC needs to stop killing off characters for shock value,so keep Diana alive.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

No. Legacy can be great at times (Wally, the JSA legacies), but it is foolish to apply it to every franchise and character and expect the same results. Wonder Woman is too big. It will always be Diana, people love WW for her, not just the title and costume. Even if the replacement was well received for a time, Diana would inevtiably come back to reclaim her title. We've seen it happen even with Barry, who is not as big as she is. And then we'd get tedious fandom wars over who should be THE Wonder Woman.

No thanks. This franchise has enough problems without adding that headache to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    No. I just plain hate this practice. Only in extreme circumstances should it ever be used. Not everything needs to be a legacy identity just because. This would be a just because scenario. The Flash became what it became for a reason. Diana is not in the place Barry Allen was before the original Crisis. True her book has never been a fantastic seller, but the character herself if anything is becoming more popular today, not less.
    What he said.

Extraordinary Member

Already seen it done with Batman and Superman. Epic "deaths" that last went out with Cabbage Patch Kids and Denim jackets.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I'm fine with having another take over, but killing Diana is a dumb idea.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I don't see the overall benefit of doing something like this. Diana IS Wonder Woman to me.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

One guy's take...

The company hasn't even put a foundation and subsequent runs together that have been worth a handful of beans. Why would I buy into that they could kill Wonder Woman off and get the failings that I mentioned right with a successor?

Pass - been there, done that.

Diana has been 'killed' and replaced already, and has also been replaced several times in her history.

It doesn't take. Diana is Wonder Woman, and with the success of her film, DC isn't going to kill her off.

Only if we get an Elseworlds where the whole Trinity has died with the likes of Nightwing, Troia, and Supergirl (Powergirl, depending on the version) stepping in.

Or a different Elseworlds where, similar scenario, but with Red Hood, Artemis, and Bizarro taking over. The "Dark Trinity", so to speak.

Wait a minute...........
    Denim Jackets are out?
    What's next Harley Davidsons, Jack Daniels, and a tattoo across the chest