Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Default It's old, but can we talk about the Telltale version of Thanos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY-yGDVhiPc

By Odin's beard was that bad. Thanos should never be portrayed as a throw away starter villain who gets killed like a dumbass. And whats with his screaming, brutish characterisation? When will people learn that Thanos was intended by Starlin as a magnificent bastard schemer with a professorial speech pattern and not as a unrefined brute? Has anyone read Thanos Quest or any of his interactions with Adam Warlock?

I knew that this Guardians of the Galaxy game was gonna be plagued by the never ending MCU sinergy curse instead of being more creative with the characters, but it was this bad characterisation of Thanos that convinced me not to buy it back then.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Honestly i felt Telltale did a better job at capitalizing on the movie without being in the movie's shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Honestly i felt Telltale did a better job at capitalizing on the movie without being in the movie's shadow.
    It's still awful seeing them taking inspiration from Bendis stuff. To say nothing of how they used Thanos.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

"Respect this Thanos"

Greatest thing I've ever seen.

BANNED

I can't decide which is better

BANNED

it's a little weird but I like it when some super serious villains get treated irreverently

like luke cage beating up doom for his money

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    it's a little weird but I like it when some super serious villains get treated irreverently

like luke cage beating up doom for his money
    Which is why both Doom and Thanos should be put on hiatus.

The more Thanos was used in the Marvel NOW era the more his character was hurt in both comics and cartoons. I agreed that Jim Starlin's recent OGN trilogy was needed because too many times Thanos has been written in a ill conceived way by Hickman, Bendis and Aaron.

After Gauntlet, Thanos forsook nihilism and mystical macguffins in the pursuit of Mistress Death's love and became a morally ambiguos hermit and Adam Warlock's friend. Thanos grew up and changed under his creator's pen.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 11-08-2019 at 02:46 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Which is why both Doom and Thanos should be put on hiatus.

The more Thanos was used in the Marvel NOW era the more his character was hurt in both comics and cartoons. I agreed that Jim Starlin's recent OGN trilogy was needed because too many times Thanos has been written in a ill conceived way by Hickman, Bendis and Aaron.

After Gauntlet, Thanos forsook nihilism and mystical macguffins in the pursuit of Mistress Death's love and became a morally ambiguos hermit and Adam Warlock's friend. Thanos grew up and changed under his creator's pen.

infinity just came out of nowhere. the event should've been about the builders, not thanos showing up for his inhuman son while inhumans make a terrigen bomb

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    infinity just came out of nowhere. the event should've been about the builders, not thanos showing up for his inhuman son while inhumans make a terrigen bomb
    The Thanos/Inhumans subplot was the editors idea of pushing the Inhumans as a middle finger to Fox for keeping the rights of the X-MEN. Hickman said that he originally didn't want to use Thanos.

Even when Starlin wrote Thanos as a straight up villain in the seventies he didn't do stupid stuff like asking tributes and making babies.

BANNED

The Thanos/Inhumans subplot was the editors idea of pushing the Inhumans as a middle finger to Fox for keeping the rights of the X-MEN. Hickman said that he originally didn't want to use Thanos.

Even when Starlin wrote Thanos as a straight up villain in the seventies he didn't do stupid stuff like asking tributes and making babies.
    can i get a source on hickman saying he didn't want to use thanos at first?

I mean, yeah I remember the Mar-vell run. I think there was something very cosmic about the guy in them with his background of the eternals based on greek gods (thanos/thanotos, eros etc)
    I don't remember getting much of an impression of the guy with the iron man story though.

It's still awful seeing them taking inspiration from Bendis stuff.
    Funny how most people seem to love it when they take inspiration from his Ultimate Spider-Man stuff.

To say nothing of how they used Thanos.
    So, it's okay when Squirrel Girl takes Thanos out like a punk, but bad when the Guardians of the frickin' Galaxy do it?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

When will people learn that Thanos was intended by Starlin as a magnificent bastard schemer with a professorial speech pattern and not as a unrefined brute?
    It's not that people don't understand, it's just that they don't care. People clearly are more interested in writing a rampaging nihilist. And that's fine. Starlin's books are still available for any that want his take on the character.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Funny how most people seem to love it when they take inspiration from his Ultimate Spider-Man stuff.

So, it's okay when Squirrel Girl takes Thanos out like a punk, but bad when the Guardians of the frickin' Galaxy do it?
    That was later confirmed by Dan Slott's run on She Hulk to be another clone. Besides, Squirrel Girl is a joke character with her own rules.

And Bendis GOTG Is considered by many to be his worst work.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 11-08-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    It's not that people don't understand, it's just that they don't care. People clearly are more interested in writing a rampaging nihilist. And that's fine. Starlin's books are still available for any that want his take on the character.
    The problem is we will never see Thanks written in a insightful and nuanced way ever again. I was never keen on Hickman's purple rage monster. It's pretty much a less intelligent and compelling character. If someone writes Doctor Doom like Mangog or Rhino people would be calling shenanigans and rightly so.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 11-08-2019 at 01:32 PM.

The problem is we will never see Thanks written in a insightful and nuanced way ever again. I was never keen on Hickman's purple rage monster. It's pretty much a less intelligent and compelling character. If someone writes Doctor Doom like Mangog or Rhino people would be calling shenanigans and rightly so.
    I hope they at least take cues from MCU Thanos.