Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default X-Team leaders, past and present

Hi All,

Trying to compile of X-Men who have been field team leaders and welcome any updates:

Cyclops - original team lead
    Storm - replaced Cyclops
    Nightcrawler - replaced Storm and then replaced by Storm after the Mutant Massacre. Also let Excalibur
    Wolverine - replaced Storm when Ororo left to try regain her powers
    Banshee - X-Corporation (I think)
    Jean Grey - ???
    Havok - led team mission to Shiar space
    Kitty Pryde - latest Gold Team leader

Jan 14, 2019 update: let's limit the list to Universe 616 X-teams directly affiliated with the Xavier/Jean Grey school and Utopia.

Adding to the list:

Rogue
    Emma Frost (co-leader during Utopia)
    Psylocke (X-Force)
    Jubilee (Gen X teacher/leader)
    Cannonball/Mirage (later incarnation of NM after they graduated)

I've always considered Xavier and Magneto as the headmaster/teacher type rather than field leader.
    Last edited by raidensix; 01-14-2019 at 04:16 PM.

The puny size of this list is definitely not an issue with the franchise. No siree Bob.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Emma Frost - co-leader with Cyclops during the Utopia era

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Cannonball was the leader of the original X-Force after Cable left and was co leader of the New Mutants with Moonstar. Sam was set up to be one of the big leaders of mutants until they "graduated" him to the X-Men proper and suddenly he was the dumb rookie again even though he had more experience than half the team at the time.

Havok led the 2nd incarnation of X-Factor when they worked with the government
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 01-13-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Rogue led at least two X-Men squads. Gambit(lol) at least one.

Didn’t Domino and Moonstar lead X-Force for a hot minute?
    Last edited by CRaymond; 01-13-2019 at 01:27 PM.

BANNED

Is Xavier an X-Man?

Is the "First Class" movie the only istance in any media ever where Xavier is an X-Man?

I've always considered Xavier as being the "headmaster", mentor and founder of the X-Men, not an X-Man himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Cannonball was the leader of the original X-Force after Cable left and was co leader of the New Mutants with Moonstar. Sam was set up to be one of the big leaders of mutants until they "graduated" him to the X-Men proper and suddenly he was the dumb rookie again even though he had more experience than half the team at the time.
    Poor Sam got the short end of the stick. I hope he warned Berto about that.
    I was disappointed when Mike Carrey let Rogue lead an X-Men team instead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Hi All,

Trying to compile of X-Men who have been field team leaders and welcome any updates:

Cyclops - original team lead
    Storm - replaced Cyclops
    Nightcrawler - replaced Storm and then replaced by Storm after the Mutant Massacre. Also let Excalibur
    Wolverine - replaced Storm when Ororo left to try regain her powers
    Banshee - X-Corporation (I think)
    Jean Grey - ???
    Havok - led team mission to Shiar space
    Kitty Pryde - latest Gold Team leader
    Jean's obvious. Bendis's All-New X-Men, X-Men Blue, and X-Men Red. And didn't she reassemble the O5 as the original X-Factor as well?

Since Jean was absent, Beast led Hopeless's All-New X-Men.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-14-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jean's obvious. Bendis's All-New X-Men, X-Men Blue, and X-Men Red. And didn't she reassemble the O5 as the original X-Factor as well?

Since Jean was absent, Beast led Hopeless's All-New X-Men.
    She and Cyclops formed and co-led a team in Astonishing X-Men (Wolverine, Angel, cable, Nate grey)

She formed a team that invaded Genosha and rescued Xavier from Magneto (Northstar, Paulie, Wraith, Sunpyre, Frenzy)

She seemed to be leading during New X-Men when Xavier handed over to her

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Forgetting Rogue who did lead a team for quite some time twice and on top of that the Unity Squad, is a shame
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Jubilee led a few missions of the original Gen X team as the temporary field leader, and as mentioned before has led New Warriors and the most recent Generation X. Also, she was field leader of one of the missions during the All-Female X-Men team, where she took the younger mutants on a mission against sentinels.

One thing I'd ask is that is this list only about X-Men who've led the X-Men, or X-Men who've served as leaders in this capacity and elsewhere? Because then the list grows substantially, like Cannonball leading X-Force and Sunspot leading the Avengers, AIM, MLF, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Is the "First Class" movie the only istance in any media ever where Xavier is an X-Man?

I've always considered Xavier as being the "headmaster", mentor and founder of the X-Men, not an X-Man himself.
    It's not the only media, but yeah, Xavier tends to be more headmaster than field agent. When he does take the field though in the comics, he generally tends to be a massive dick with his powers. Especially if he gets the power to walk (which is usually why then he'd be on the field).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    Jubilee led a few missions of the original Gen X team as the temporary field leader, and as mentioned before has led New Warriors and the most recent Generation X. Also, she was field leader of one of the missions during the All-Female X-Men team, where she took the younger mutants on a mission against sentinels.
    GenX was interesting because Sean & Emma were usually there, so the kids didn't have like a de facto leader. Paige thought she'd be and prepared a lot, but then Monet knew everything,..Jubilee had the most "Xmen" experience and Synch seemed like a good fit, but mostly they worked together...which was nice. No one was sitting around waiting for someone else to tell them what to do..(which honestly really only serves to tell the readers what's going on).