Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, the original Phantom Lady (Sandra Knight) gained intangibility for awhile back in the Freedom Fighters' 1970s series.

As per the previous version of this thread,
    I never liked that. Her name was Phantom Lady, unrelated to any powers she might have (and she didn't have any). So when she gets super powers, they just happen to be powers that conform to her name. Too coincidental for my taste.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I never liked that. Her name was Phantom Lady, unrelated to any powers she might have (and she didn't have any). So when she gets super powers, they just happen to be powers that conform to her name. Too coincidental for my taste.
    The whole idea of characters gaining superpowers when they relocate from one Earth to another may be "too coincidental", but back before CoIE, and back before it was revealed that the Black Canary with the JLA was actually the daughter of the Golden Age Black Canary, that was what DC did when they had Dinah move from Earth-2 to relocate on Earth-1 and wanted to beef up her abilities with a "canary cry".

from Police Comics #10 (July 1942)

from Police Comics #11 (September 1942)

An example of the Fox Comics version of Sandra Knight,
    from Phantom Lady #13 (August 1947):

The whole idea of characters gaining superpowers when they relocate from one Earth to another may be "too coincidental", but back before CoIE, and back before it was revealed that the Black Canary with the JLA was actually the daughter of the Golden Age Black Canary, that was what DC did when they had Dinah move from Earth-2 to relocate on Earth-1 and wanted to beef up her abilities with a "canary cry".
    You are right. Another example.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))

from Police Comics #10 (July 1942)
    Arthur Peddy was a real good artist.
    Sandy Hausler

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

In Police Comics #21 (August 1943), Phantom Lady figthts with Spider Widow, so is this the first instance of two female superheroes fighting each other?