Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Avengers Forever #1 Dec 1998
    "Destiny Made Manifest"
    Opening on the distant planet, Beta Centauri IV in the 26th Century of Earth-9812,
    a dozen Centaurian rebels furtively haul crates of armaments through back alleys.
    Preparing to strike a spaceport, they are suddenly frozen in time and space.
    As the phenomena unfolds planet-wide, multiple spaceships resembling Avenger Quinjets descend upon and destroy the cities.

Deploying from the ships are squadrons of specialized soldiers based on Thor, Iron Man, Captain America
    and Ant-Man respectively, enacting a full-scale ground assault against the immobilized populace.
    The survivors awaken and encounter Jonz Rickard, commander of "Galactic Avenger Battalion Theta-4".
    As well as the might of his troops, Rickard wields a mysterious force to break the unsuspecting masses.
    Not far away, three robed alien figures stand in disapproval...

Back in the present, another Quinjet arrives at a new research facility amidst the ruins of Blue City on the Blue Area of the Moon.
    Recently the scene of an Avengers' incident involving zealous alien militants, the team utilizes its clearance to bypass
    the S.H.I.E.L.D. and Starcore staff to gain audience with the building's resident "prisoner", the Kree Supreme Intelligence.

Given the extraterrestrial super-computer's familiarity with the energies permeating their suddenly-afflicted brother-in-arms,
    Rick Jones, the Avengers interrogate and uneasily concede to leave Rick under its watch for further study.

As the heroes exit, the Intelligence has a brief yet ominous dialogue with a cryptic robed figure, skulking in the chamber's shadows.

In Limbo, Immortus solemnly looks upon this unfolding scenario.
    Gesturing, he freezes time and space on the Moon, dispatching his giant henchman,
    Tempus, to execute Rick Jones in the space between moments.
    As the creature begins drawing the life from Jones's body, another force expectantly
    negates Immortus's doing, creating a localized pocket of restored free-flowing time.

Rick's surprise protector stands revealed as Kang The Conqueror.
    Outraged by this interference, a heated exchange occurs between Kang
    and the projected form of Immortus wherein the Conqueror also destroys the time lord's massive lackey.
    However, Tempus being created from the very stuff of Limbo itself, only serves as a greater portal
    for Immortus's "Army of the Ages", spilling forth in countless hordes from his shattered remains.
    Arming himself, Kang wages a single-handed defense.

Nearby, Rick stirs to consciousness as the Intelligence and its shrouded ally realize a prophetically crucial moment is upon them.
    With that, the robed figure traverses the battlefield, laying hands upon Jones, unleashing seven bolts of strange yet somewhat familiar energy from him.

Coalescing, these anomalies appear to be the forms of seven very confused Avengers...
    First appearance of the new look of CAPTAIN MARVEL

Script by Kurt Busiek, pencils by Carlos Pacheco, inks by Jesús Merino

BANNED

The Avengers retrieved Rick in Incredible Hulk #170 https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4105865

Side Note: In the past the Russo Brothers stated that Avengers Forever was the closest guess to the "Avengers 4' title which turned out to be Avengers Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Years later, when Rick was no longer bonded to Captain Mar-Vell, Marlo Chandler became his girlfriend..
    However, at the time, it was not known to Rick that Marlo had been involved with the grey Hulk aka Joe Fixit.
    Marlo is my favorite of all of Peter David's creations. She's certainly one of the reasons David's incredible run is such a success.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Avengers Forever #1 Dec 1998
    "Destiny Made Manifest"
    Opening on the distant planet, Beta Centauri IV in the 26th Century of Earth-9812,
    a dozen Centaurian rebels furtively haul crates of armaments through back alleys.
    Preparing to strike a spaceport, they are suddenly frozen in time and space.
    As the phenomena unfolds planet-wide, multiple spaceships resembling Avenger Quinjets descend upon and destroy the cities.

Deploying from the ships are squadrons of specialized soldiers based on Thor, Iron Man, Captain America
    and Ant-Man respectively, enacting a full-scale ground assault against the immobilized populace.
    The survivors awaken and encounter Jonz Rickard, commander of "Galactic Avenger Battalion Theta-4".
    As well as the might of his troops, Rickard wields a mysterious force to break the unsuspecting masses.
    Not far away, three robed alien figures stand in disapproval...

Back in the present, another Quinjet arrives at a new research facility amidst the ruins of Blue City on the Blue Area of the Moon.
    Recently the scene of an Avengers' incident involving zealous alien militants, the team utilizes its clearance to bypass
    the S.H.I.E.L.D. and Starcore staff to gain audience with the building's resident "prisoner", the Kree Supreme Intelligence.

Given the extraterrestrial super-computer's familiarity with the energies permeating their suddenly-afflicted brother-in-arms,
    Rick Jones, the Avengers interrogate and uneasily concede to leave Rick under its watch for further study.

As the heroes exit, the Intelligence has a brief yet ominous dialogue with a cryptic robed figure, skulking in the chamber's shadows.

In Limbo, Immortus solemnly looks upon this unfolding scenario.
    Gesturing, he freezes time and space on the Moon, dispatching his giant henchman,
    Tempus, to execute Rick Jones in the space between moments.
    As the creature begins drawing the life from Jones's body, another force expectantly
    negates Immortus's doing, creating a localized pocket of restored free-flowing time.

Rick's surprise protector stands revealed as Kang The Conqueror.
    Outraged by this interference, a heated exchange occurs between Kang
    and the projected form of Immortus wherein the Conqueror also destroys the time lord's massive lackey.
    However, Tempus being created from the very stuff of Limbo itself, only serves as a greater portal
    for Immortus's "Army of the Ages", spilling forth in countless hordes from his shattered remains.
    Arming himself, Kang wages a single-handed defense.

Nearby, Rick stirs to consciousness as the Intelligence and its shrouded ally realize a prophetically crucial moment is upon them.
    With that, the robed figure traverses the battlefield, laying hands upon Jones, unleashing seven bolts of strange yet somewhat familiar energy from him.

Coalescing, these anomalies appear to be the forms of seven very confused Avengers...
    First appearance of the new look of CAPTAIN MARVEL

Script by Kurt Busiek, pencils by Carlos Pacheco, inks by Jesús Merino
    Avengers Forever is one of my all-time favorites. The introduction of the new-look Captain Marvel is memorable. One of the best makeovers in Marvel history.

BANNED

‘Captain Marvel’ Toy Listing May Have Spoiled A Surprise Appearance!
    https://heroichollywood.com/captain-marvel-genis-vell/

BANNED

Proof KANG THE CONQUEROR debuts in AVENGERS ENDGAME?

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Avengers Forever is one of my all-time favorites. The introduction of the new-look Captain Marvel is memorable. One of the best makeovers in Marvel history.
    I agree. Genis's look was such a great variation on the original (I imagine Pacheco designed it?) that I wish he was still around, but only with that look! (it seems highly unlikely at this point, but I'd be happy even if he were a supporting player or just off with the Guardians or something...

It's a shame David's original series with Genis lead to him going nuts, wearing that Kree uniform then eventually just being written off in "Thunderbolts" (in a terrible Starboy-esque costume) because he'd been so damaged at that point.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-28-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Marlo is my favorite of all of Peter David's creations. She's certainly one of the reasons David's incredible run is such a success.
    Marlo is a favourite of mine as well! I would love to see her turn up again (surely she has some feeling regarding Rick's recent execution--I'm not sure if he was her ex-husband or estranged husband at that point; their relationship has been really vaguely defined in recent years). I'd love to see her in the new IMMORTAL HULK series, although I'd be worried about what would happen to her, given the horror tone of that book. However, given her history with Hulk AND with Death itself, she seems a natural fit.

I wouldn't describe Marlo as a "superhero groupie", but has there been any other supporting character who has been romantically and/or sexually linked with so many different heroes? She dated the Hulk, she was married to Rick Jones (who was a Bucky, as well as briefly a Hulk, and an honorary Avenger in his own name), and had a serious relationship with Moondragon. She and Genis-Vell shared some flirtation as well, before she and Rick patched things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Marlo is a favourite of mine as well! I would love to see her turn up again (surely she has some feeling regarding Rick's recent execution--I'm not sure if he was her ex-husband or estranged husband at that point; their relationship has been really vaguely defined in recent years). I'd love to see her in the new IMMORTAL HULK series, although I'd be worried about what would happen to her, given the horror tone of that book. However, given her history with Hulk AND with Death itself, she seems a natural fit.

I wouldn't describe Marlo as a "superhero groupie", but has there been any other supporting character who has been romantically and/or sexually linked with so many different heroes? She dated the Hulk, she was married to Rick Jones (who was a Bucky, as well as briefly a Hulk, and an honorary Avenger in his own name), and had a serious relationship with Moondragon. She and Genis-Vell shared some flirtation as well, before she and Rick patched things up.
    I'm usually careful when discussing characters (either supporting or lead), so I also would never describe Marlo as a "superhero groupie".

As for your inquiry, I only know of a few supporting characters such as Frankie Raye, Betty Brant and Sandi Brandenberg (although, a few of their paramours might have been villains).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-28-2019 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I agree. Genis's look was such a great variation on the original (I imagine Pacheco designed it?) that I wish he was still around, but only with that look! (it seems highly unlikely at this point, but I'd be happy even if he were a supporting player or just off with the Guardians or something...

It's a shame David's original series with Genis lead to him going nuts, wearing that Kree uniform then eventually just being written off in "Thunderbolts" (in a terrible Starboy-esque costume) because he'd been so damaged at that point.
    Me too. I miss Genis-Vell, and hope he comes back soon. And honestly, whatever uniform he wore after Avengers Forever never really bothered me. But I do agree with you, the one he wore in Avengers Forever is still the best (and a personal favorite of mine).

Some classic Kane art:

From Captain Marvel #17, Kane (embellished by Dan Adkins, who here gives Gil's pencils a level of polish rarely seen) uses the montage layout he was so good at to convey much of Rick's comic-book history in just two incredibly dynamic pages. This issue remains one of my all time favourite single issues, and the Kane/Adkins art is a big part of why I love it so much.

BANNED

Avengers Endgame Trailer 2 News | PLUS: Supreme Intelligence CONFIRMED
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9yBnGtvn7k

BANNED

Avengers Forever #2 Jan 1999
    "Now is the Time For All Good Men..."
    Flash-assembled from throughout time and space by a mysteriously-empowered Rick Jones, the Avengers are thrown
    into the middle of a battle on the Blue Area of the Moon between Kang The Conqueror and Immortus's "Army of the Ages".
    Kang directs them to align with his effort to save Jones. Confused by this circumstance, the Avengers await Captain America to make their play,
    only finding him more out of sorts than usual. Snapping to, the Wasp takes command, ordering the unlikely team to lend the Conqueror support.

As the fighting in the Supreme Intelligence research facility progresses, the Wasp and Giant-Man make some startling realizations
    about their new teammates, particularly Captain America's apparent superhuman strength and the improbable appearance of a "Yellowjacket"
    that could very well be Giant-Man himself during a period of mental instability. Even as his forces press their assault,
    Immortus attempts to collapse Kang's force bubble, hoping to trap the resistance in chronal stasis. Rick accesses cognitive mastery
    over his strange new gifts and is able to counter Immortus's pincer maneuver. Realizing stalemate afoot, the time lord withdraws his army.

Capitalizing on their brief respite, Kang strategizes with the Avengers, urging them to remove Rick from Immortus's potential grasp quickly.
    Facilitating this course of action, the Intelligence and his elusive ally, revealed as the Zodiac's Libra, offer their assistance.
    As Libra leads the heroes on an inconceivable egress bending all sorts of scientific laws,
    they are allowed a quiet moment to recount everyone's individual story.

Libra relays how he is still alive since his seeming demise amid Zodiac's criminal exploits, inadvertently raising
    flags when he outright denounces claims that he has since encountered the Avengers under the moniker "Moonraker".

Yellowjacket confirms suspicions that he is indeed Doctor Henry Pym from years in the past,
    pulled from across time on the day of his wedding to the Wasp. Both the present-day Wasp and Dr. Pym are disquieted,
    realizing that this is nothing less than an erratic amnesiac persona made manifest and given a second lease on life.

Songbird, seen as a former super-villain turned would-be hero, recounts an experience from what would be the team's future,
    telling of a "recent" struggle against Oort The Living Comet and his Solar Squadron.

Hawkeye also verifies assumptions that is also from years in the past and not just sporting a new look
    since joining with Songbird's present-day teammates in the Thunderbolts. Bereft of his ubiquitous array of trick arrows,
    Hawkeye begins to tell about his exploits following the Kree-Skrull War before feeling he's needlessly bringing up old news.

Captain Marvel gives a terse account of disposing of the carcass of the cosmic entity Eon after its being used in a ploy against Earth
    by Ego the Living Planet. Rick recognizes the futuristic Captain as the modern-day ne'er-do-well son of his former partner, Mar-Vell.

Captain America becomes quiet and reserved when it reaches his turn. Coupled with the superhuman feat she witnessed earlier,
    the Wasp correctly surmises that Cap is also from their past, a brief yet specific era wherein after witnessing the Secret Empire
    infiltrate high-ranking U.S. political offices, he would become morally dejected and temporarily abandon his role.

Assessing their situation, the Avengers overwhelmingly agree to not play defensive and run.
    Libra counsels that their most effective vantage point would be to seek refuge in Kang's pan-temporal city-stronghold of Chronopolis.
    Wending through various points in history, Libra and the Avengers eventually come across Kang's fortress.
    However, it seems they've arrived to late, as an armada of Immortus's attack ships is currently laying siege!

Script by Kurt Busiek, pencils by Carlos Pacheco, inks by Jesus Merino

BANNED

RUMOR: 'Weeds' Star Hunter Parrish Cast in 'Captain Marvel' in Undisclosed Significant Role
    https://mcuexchange.com/rumor-hunter...aptain-marvel/

" ..the dude is a ringer for Mar-Vell and will surely please a lot of fans waiting to see a comic-accurate version on-screen."

Could be Mar-Vell, but could just as easily be an ex of Carol's, such as Michael Rossi or Michael Barnett. Could even be Wendell (Quasar) Vaughn, since he was a Shield agent and is tangentially connected to Mar-Vell. I'm not really expecting to see Mar-Vell in the film.